Nightjar Singularity
Aug 4, 2023 at 4:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 208

claud W

Headphoneus Supremus
As members of this forum acquire their Singularities, I think we need somewhere to post our opinions, cable rolling adventures ETC.
The first thing I am going to post is that this IEM needs about 100 hours of break in. BAs do not need break in, but DDs and planar drivers do.
Please post your cable rolling results.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #2 of 208
Singularity plus LL Venom = clean clear sound. Each instrument separate with everything sung or said clearly heard. Big wide soundspage. DAP used Cayin N7.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #3 of 208
Basss go brr

Aug 5, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #5 of 208
Happy with Singularity as my new fun listening champion.

Bass set with pretty neutral mids to highs. So good!

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Aug 5, 2023 at 9:44 PM Post #6 of 208
Copied from my original impressions:

"Impacful but disciplined bass, great end to end extension (this is one of its strong suits-- usually single DDs drop the ball somewhat at one end of the other), timbre and coherence top knotch, and the overall tonality achieves a great balance for me. Upper mids and highs are airy and spacious, with enough meat in the lower mids and mid-bass for me (a common issue I have)."

Still loving this set after a couple weeks. Surprised to hear it described as "basshead"...the bass is indeed solid but this is by no means a basshead tuning to my ears. To me this is more of a mids set with great bass. YMMV there I guess.

93F06A8F-B2AA-4A90-ADED-F69D6E0FAF5E.jpeg

IMG_6804.JPG

15B7A2DD-65FA-49C4-9A9C-1D9C3366D290.jpeg

Aug 8, 2023 at 7:36 PM Post #9 of 208
I don't have much experience describing sound so this isn't gonna be great but here's my overall impressions of singularity.

Used both the stock tips and spinfit cp145 preffered the 145 because I got a better fit/seal with them. Source was a schiit modi and nitsch piety stack

The bass is the immediate thing that grabbed my attention and it remains the focus of the sound signature, I'm sure that's pretty obvious from the graph but yeah. I have never heard bass of this quality let alone this quantity, unfortunately the only other bassy iems I can compare to are Xenns Top and Audiosense AQ4.

Compared to top it's a drastic difference, timbre and tuning on sing are a much better fit to my preferences, upper mids and treble are very smooth and not emphasized whereas top has both a treble and air boost. Top does reveal more details for sure but at the cost of some unnatural sounding timbre, makes cymbals and snare drums sound wrong to me, sorry can't describe that in much more detail. The bass on top is surprisingly competitive although it lacks the mid bass and overall quantity of sing. I actually still found the texture and quantity pretty satisfying on top for songs that aren't super bass centric, for music that does emphasize bass like IDM and rap it does fall behind but it's not horrible by any means. I would still recommend top to people that don't mind the extra treble and don't need a massive bass boost

Compared to AQ4 the tuning is actually pretty similar, sing comes off as just a super upgraded version of aq4. Upper mids are less recessed on sing and as a result vocals sound more forward and that's definitely needed with the massive bass boost imo. Aq4's bass just does not have the texture or detail that sing has as well, the quantitiy is pretty much there but it just sounds dull and muted in comparison. I still like aq4 especially at the price but this is an unfair comparison

After listening for a while I started messing with EQ for a couple reasons. For one I just enjoy seeing if I can customize the tuning to my preferences more than it already is but secondly I did find the bass to be a bit to much on some genres of music. I listen to a decent amount of different stuff and as a result I've had to accept that there really isn't going to be any one iem that works amazing well for everything. Don't really mark this as a flaw of any iem it just is what it is and that's another reason I like eq.
Overall tuning of sing is pretty well reflected in hbb's and elise audio's graphs minus the stuff above 5-6k of course. I did some frequency sweep testing and I believe there is a dip around 8-9.5k as well as a small peak around 11k, take that with a huge grain of salt though, I've never never been very good at identifying dips and peaks with a frequency sweep however I did add a +2db 4Q filter at 8800hz and I liked the results, adds a bit more emphasis to cymbals and improves timbre a little.

I certainly don't think it NEEDS eq by any means, the stock tuning is incredible for a lot of kinds of music. I really enjoy stoner rock/metal, classic rock, alt rock, trip hop, IDM, and hip hop/rap. I found the bass to be a little to much to where it was overtaking the presentation in a negative way with folk and folk rock, some math rock, indie pop, indie rock and some j-rock. It's not horrible or anything but it did shift the focus to the bass on songs where I don't think that should be the focus. I tried a -2.5db 0.7Q low shelf and that completely resolved it so I've been using that when I want to listen to non bass centric music

I'm very happy with singularity, it's extremely well built, the shell is comfy, has a really nice comfy cable, the packaging is ****ing ridiculous I got the little box on my desk now. The tuning fits my preferences essentially perfectly minus the bass being a bit overkill for some stuff like I said. If bass is your main priority this is going to to be end game but I'd never recommend it to people looking for treble quantity or excessive detail, there's enough treble and air to satisfy but that's just not what this thing is for. It ain't for weebs

Oh and I burned it in for 10,000 hours of course don't worry

Attachments

• IMG20230805022348_1.jpg
    IMG20230805022348_1.jpg
    410.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 9, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #11 of 208
Singularity initial listening notes & review

this portion is done on fiio k7 with semi clear tips included with singularity

The singularity is a fun and interesting departure from the neutral to a given target chasing trend that has almost consumed the iem space in the past couple of years, and its done extremely well. As to be expected from the graph, there is an insane amount of bass, and it is quite dominant above all else, although not quite to the extent that is shown on the graph. It sounds well controlled on tracks that are bass focused. This altough does start to fall apart in tracks that do have sub bass prescensse but arent quite meant to be bass focused like the first minute of Besides April by BADBADNOTGOOD. The violins and guitar almost sound like they are being held hostage by the subbass. The single dd also strugles and distorts a bit on some tracks that have mutlipe basses going at once, like in Move by dreamer Isioma. The kick drums distort quite noticably when the droning bassline goes on in the background, starting at 0:20. Although this isnt true for most songs, and it handles multiple basslines quite well most of the time given the amount of bass. Where this set shines the most is with rnb, indie and rap with women. Tracks like ayayai by Daniela Andrade,Femme du crepuiscule by Lablue and Boggie by Tia corine sound better on this than they ever have to me. Extremely involving, entrancing and lively. Lower mids, especially deep male vocals, can come off muddy at times depending on the track, but not to the extent of detracting from the rest of the track when not focusing on it most of the time. This is exemplified by Bistro by madvillian, where MFs voice isn't quite muddy but overly husky to my tastes compared to other sets like my ie600 and timeless. The central and upper mids are near perfectly done, with the only caveat being that central mids are slightly scooped out compared to upper and lower mids although no where near hollow sounding. vocals besides very deep male vocals come off as very natural and effortless if ever so slightly veiled, and while the timbre isnt quite as natural sounding as my hd6xx, it actually comes very close, and closer than the rest of my collection. This is genuinely be a phenomenal set for orchestral and jazz when paired with a -8db 0.2 Q filter at 25 hz. This change in bass doesnt seem to impact punch or texture much, with the bass sounding much faster compared to stock tuning. The treble definition is quite good but nothing outstanding. The upper treble seems to be a bit bumpy when doing a sine sweep, with my unit having a minor elevation at 11500-13k hz but is otherwise quite smooth up until the treble starts to roll off quite aggressively at 15500hz, with 17khz being about the limit of relevancy relative to volume of the rest of the fr (i can hear into 19.5k currently), although this wont really impact music much at all. In practice, the bumpy treble and roll off are not noticed much at all barring some electronic music, where synths could come off as slightly unnatural and chopped off but most other instruments didnt suffer much from this. It isnt as detailed as my ie600, even when the ie600 is eqed to delta 4 (my preferred tuning for that set) and treble is smoothed out. All in all, I believe this to be THE gold standards for hip hop, pop, rnb, and indie tuning and should be what single dd units aim for. Will be doing some source switching, tip rolling and a more indepth comparison to ie600, kato and timeless tomorrow

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #12 of 208
Copied from my original impressions:

"Impacful but disciplined bass, great end to end extension (this is one of its strong suits-- usually single DDs drop the ball somewhat at one end of the other), timbre and coherence top knotch, and the overall tonality achieves a great balance for me. Upper mids and highs are airy and spacious, with enough meat in the lower mids and mid-bass for me (a common issue I have)."

Still loving this set after a couple weeks. Surprised to hear it described as "basshead"...the bass is indeed solid but this is by no means a basshead tuning to my ears. To me this is more of a mids set with great bass. YMMV there I guess.

93F06A8F-B2AA-4A90-ADED-F69D6E0FAF5E.jpeg

IMG_6804.JPG

15B7A2DD-65FA-49C4-9A9C-1D9C3366D290.jpeg

I don't have much experience describing sound so this isn't gonna be great but here's my overall impressions of singularity.

Used both the stock tips and spinfit cp145 preffered the 145 because I got a better fit/seal with them. Source was a schiit modi and nitsch piety stack

The bass is the immediate thing that grabbed my attention and it remains the focus of the sound signature, I'm sure that's pretty obvious from the graph but yeah. I have never heard bass of this quality let alone this quantity, unfortunately the only other bassy iems I can compare to are Xenns Top and Audiosense AQ4.

Compared to top it's a drastic difference, timbre and tuning on sing are a much better fit to my preferences, upper mids and treble are very smooth and not emphasized whereas top has both a treble and air boost. Top does reveal more details for sure but at the cost of some unnatural sounding timbre, makes cymbals and snare drums sound wrong to me, sorry can't describe that in much more detail. The bass on top is surprisingly competitive although it lacks the mid bass and overall quantity of sing. I actually still found the texture and quantity pretty satisfying on top for songs that aren't super bass centric, for music that does emphasize bass like IDM and rap it does fall behind but it's not horrible by any means. I would still recommend top to people that don't mind the extra treble and don't need a massive bass boost

Compared to AQ4 the tuning is actually pretty similar, sing comes off as just a super upgraded version of aq4. Upper mids are less recessed on sing and as a result vocals sound more forward and that's definitely needed with the massive bass boost imo. Aq4's bass just does not have the texture or detail that sing has as well, the quantitiy is pretty much there but it just sounds dull and muted in comparison. I still like aq4 especially at the price but this is an unfair comparison

After listening for a while I started messing with EQ for a couple reasons. For one I just enjoy seeing if I can customize the tuning to my preferences more than it already is but secondly I did find the bass to be a bit to much on some genres of music. I listen to a decent amount of different stuff and as a result I've had to accept that there really isn't going to be any one iem that works amazing well for everything. Don't really mark this as a flaw of any iem it just is what it is and that's another reason I like eq.
Overall tuning of sing is pretty well reflected in hbb's and elise audio's graphs minus the stuff above 5-6k of course. I did some frequency sweep testing and I believe there is a dip around 8-9.5k as well as a small peak around 11k, take that with a huge grain of salt though, I've never never been very good at identifying dips and peaks with a frequency sweep however I did add a +2db 4Q filter at 8800hz and I liked the results, adds a bit more emphasis to cymbals and improves timbre a little.

I certainly don't think it NEEDS eq by any means, the stock tuning is incredible for a lot of kinds of music. I really enjoy stoner rock/metal, classic rock, alt rock, trip hop, IDM, and hip hop/rap. I found the bass to be a little to much to where it was overtaking the presentation in a negative way with folk and folk rock, some math rock, indie pop, indie rock and some j-rock. It's not horrible or anything but it did shift the focus to the bass on songs where I don't think that should be the focus. I tried a -2.5db 0.7Q low shelf and that completely resolved it so I've been using that when I want to listen to non bass centric music

I'm very happy with singularity, it's extremely well built, the shell is comfy, has a really nice comfy cable, the packaging is ****ing ridiculous I got the little box on my desk now. The tuning fits my preferences essentially perfectly minus the bass being a bit overkill for some stuff like I said. If bass is your main priority this is going to to be end game but I'd never recommend it to people looking for treble quantity or excessive detail, there's enough treble and air to satisfy but that's just not what this thing is for. It ain't for weebs

Oh and I burned it in for 10,000 hours of course don't worry

Singularity initial listening notes & review

this portion is done on fiio k7 with semi clear tips included with singularity

The singularity is a fun and interesting departure from the neutral to a given target chasing trend that has almost consumed the iem space in the past couple of years, and its done extremely well. As to be expected from the graph, there is an insane amount of bass, and it is quite dominant above all else, although not quite to the extent that is shown on the graph. It sounds well controlled on tracks that are bass focused. This altough does start to fall apart in tracks that do have sub bass prescensse but arent quite meant to be bass focused like the first minute of Besides April by BADBADNOTGOOD. The violins and guitar almost sound like they are being held hostage by the subbass. The single dd also strugles and distorts a bit on some tracks that have mutlipe basses going at once, like in Move by dreamer Isioma. The kick drums distort quite noticably when the droning bassline goes on in the background, starting at 0:20. Although this isnt true for most songs, and it handles multiple basslines quite well most of the time given the amount of bass. Where this set shines the most is with rnb, indie and rap with women. Tracks like ayayai by Daniela Andrade,Femme du crepuiscule by Lablue and Boggie by Tia corine sound better on this than they ever have to me. Extremely involving, entrancing and lively. Lower mids, especially deep male vocals, can come off muddy at times depending on the track, but not to the extent of detracting from the rest of the track when not focusing on it most of the time. This is exemplified by Bistro by madvillian, where MFs voice isn't quite muddy but overly husky to my tastes compared to other sets like my ie600 and timeless. The central and upper mids are near perfectly done, with the only caveat being that central mids are slightly scooped out compared to upper and lower mids although no where near hollow sounding. vocals besides very deep male vocals come off as very natural and effortless if ever so slightly veiled, and while the timbre isnt quite as natural sounding as my hd6xx, it actually comes very close, and closer than the rest of my collection. This is genuinely be a phenomenal set for orchestral and jazz when paired with a -8db 0.2 Q filter at 25 hz. This change in bass doesnt seem to impact punch or texture much, with the bass sounding much faster compared to stock tuning. The treble definition is quite good but nothing outstanding. The upper treble seems to be a bit bumpy when doing a sine sweep, with my unit having a minor elevation at 11500-13k hz but is otherwise quite smooth up until the treble starts to roll off quite aggressively at 15500hz, with 17khz being about the limit of relevancy relative to volume of the rest of the fr (i can hear into 19.5k currently), although this wont really impact music much at all. In practice, the bumpy treble and roll off are not noticed much at all barring some electronic music, where synths could come off as slightly unnatural and chopped off but most other instruments didnt suffer much from this. It isnt as detailed as my ie600, even when the ie600 is eqed to delta 4 (my preferred tuning for that set) and treble is smoothed out. All in all, I believe this to be THE gold standards for hip hop, pop, rnb, and indie tuning and should be what single dd units aim for. Will be doing some source switching, tip rolling and a more indepth comparison to ie600, kato and timeless tomorrow

Thanks so much guys! So glad to see the Singularity the love it deserves. Look forward to your reviews soon if you're planning on doing a formal one.

Aug 15, 2023 at 1:53 AM Post #14 of 208
I tried PW FT for awhile last night and while it sounded amazing, I can't say it was any better than the stock cable. I guess Nightjar are known first for their cables, so here's an iem that comes with a pretty worthy cable!

Aug 15, 2023 at 9:37 PM Post #15 of 208
So, did they make 50 and call it quits?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back