Nightjar Singularity
Apr 21, 2024 at 1:29 PM Post #197 of 208
Highly subjective. I run a pure silver cable on my Singluarity and prefer it to the stock one.
You're right. I should have wrote: from my own experience, including some with multi kilo bucks cables, the sound of the Singularity is altered with aftermarket cables. If you love the stock tuning as much as I do, the stock cable can't be beaten.

Apr 25, 2024 at 11:54 PM Post #199 of 208
Hey guys, new to the community - not as much IEMS, but like all of us still learning exactly what I want.
In the market for an all day IEM with bass.

Wearing while I work in a lab type setting. Listening for 8-10 hours daily. Currently my only IEM is the CA Ara, it is far too technical for all day bass comfort boom that i need to handle my broken attention span at work. I find my self having to run to earbuds or low enough volumes i can take it.
I still need to be able to think for alot of the day, but would like to be able to turn the volume on this set up for full thump enjoyment.

I am into listening to a huge range of music, and record accoustic stringed instrumets. So not getting rid of my Ara's. But these would handle a good bit of rap, think Kevin Gates and Metal - think Devil Driver.
Also going to see the early 00's stuff from fuse. So Story of the Year, Blink 182.

Heavily leaning toward the singularity, cost is higher but this is a heavy use set so hoping for the best one. The comfort in size and DD listening seem the way to go. The custom made DD is super cool to me.

Will I not find enough bass in the singularity? This may be my main fear.
I Dont need my brain knocked loose, but i do enjoy hugging large dreadnaught guitars and thumping on the low E, and occasionally do need some double kick bam bam no think.

I listen at higher volumes because the physical experience is important - any notes on physical feeling related to volume are also much appreciated.

Any rec's? Thanks guys!

If any one had both or one - maybe tell me your thoughts on a small playlist?
I am new to the forum, hopefully in the right spot with this, if you have some time and don't mind chatting it message me.
I read here a lot, but started shopping for another set so here seeking your help!

Apr 26, 2024 at 12:09 AM Post #200 of 208
Hey guys, new to the community - not as much IEMS, but like all of us still learning exactly what I want.
In the market for an all day IEM with bass.

Currently my only IEM is the CA Ara

Heavily leaning toward the singularity, cost is higher but this is a heavy use set so hoping for the best one. The comfort in size and DD listening seem the way to go. The custom made DD is super cool to me.

Will I not find enough bass in the singularity? This may be my main fear.

I have not heard the Ara. But the Singularity has plentiful bass. I can’t see how anyone would think it’s bass shy or bass deficient. It’s also a very comfortable IEM for long listening sessions.

Some of your comments in your post make me worry a bit about your hearing. Listening 8+ hours a day at loud volumes in the long run will cause hearing loss and possibly tinnitus, which is even worse.

Apr 26, 2024 at 12:13 AM Post #201 of 208
I have not heard the Ara. But the Singularity has plentiful bass. I can’t see how anyone would think it’s bass shy or bass deficient. It’s also a very comfortable IEM for long listening sessions.

Some of your comments in your post make me worry a bit about your hearing. Listening 8+ hours a day at loud volumes in the long run will cause hearing loss and possibly tinnitus, which is even worse.
I really appreciate that, it sounds like I would really like the set. I intended to mention I was considering the scarlet, or potentially the CA Mammoth as other options.

Thank you for your concern there. I do not listen to high volumes all day, but likely more than I should, and my hearing is effected for other reasons.
The focus from listening is a trade off benefit i need now. I do try to balance it in favor of my health, of course.

Edit to say - the Ara has no bass. like it is very faithful. Rap edited in the studio is pretty hilarious on it.

Apr 26, 2024 at 10:35 AM Post #203 of 208
@NebelHexen I had the exact same requirements and I didn't find better candidate than Singularity
Very comfortable (highly subjective) and very nice sound.
To me the perfect companion at work in front of my pc
Thank you fellow auditory focus worker!
Really appreciate your opinion.

What else were you considering? Did you get to audition them against anything?
Rough buying blind.

Apr 26, 2024 at 4:54 PM Post #205 of 208
Any thoughts on cable upgrading from Nightjar?

they make some lookers.
Heard rave reviews on the stock cable, not much to the upgrade.
The stock cable is excellent and I would stick with it especially in light of the high prices of many custom IEM cables. You can fine tune the sound of the Singularity a lot less expensively by trying out different ear tips, many of which have been mentioned earlier in this thread. The stock tips are fine IMO, but a lot of Singularity owners are fans of the Coreir Metal Core tips, which I personally like.

Apr 27, 2024 at 12:02 PM Post #206 of 208
Thanks minimus!

I had read earlier only one account that the 4 wire vanguard was a worthy upgrade.
Then the Blue hour struck me with its promos of raised sub bass.

It may be too slight for me to notice.

Can’t argue with that stock cable though.
Love the slide, and a two wire is so nice for wearing often

Apr 27, 2024 at 1:27 PM Post #207 of 208
I had read earlier only one account that the 4 wire vanguard was a worthy upgrade.
Then the Blue hour struck me with its promos of raised sub bass.
I suppose you could use the contact page at Nightjar to ask if they would consider letting you upgrade from the stock 2-wire Vanguard cable to the 4-wire version, paying the difference in price, i.e. $375 when buying the Singularity. Chang, the founder of Nightjar, responds by email.

As far as upgrading further to the Blue Hour, you would be spending more on the cable than on the IEM, which seems a little nutty to me unless money is really no object.

But the bottom line is that there is only one IEM currently on the market that reportedly has more or possibly just better/cleaner bass than the Singularity - the Sony IER-Z1R. The problem with the Z1R is that it’s quite heavy, and a lot of owners have ended up selling theirs because they are uncomfortable. Since you wear IEMs for really extended periods, I suspect you would have serious comfort problems with the Z1R.

Nightjar also is developing a second, more expensive IEM - the Duality - which reportedly has even more bass than the Singularity but I’ve read impressions that the bass of the Duality kind of bleeds into the midrange and treble, though it’s still in its development stage. I don’t know when it will be officially released or what it will cost.

Also, you don’t mention what your source is. But the source does matter when it comes to sound quality, particularly because the Singularity has a relatively high impedance of 43 ohms, which is higher than most IEMs. That means it’s a bit harder to drive than IEMs with very low impedance and it will likely benefit from a decent portable headphone amp/DAC, sounding better than if you just use a cellphone as your source. I have been very happy with the Chord Mojo 2 as a portable amp/DAC, but you could also use a dongle amp/DAC like the Questyle M15 - if you can find one, as it’s been out of stock at most retailers for a while now - or the Luxury & Precision W4.

If you buy the Singularity, I would just listen with the stock eartips, and buy some Coreir Metal Core tips and Radius Deep Mount tips to additionally try, using the ones you like best.

Apr 27, 2024 at 2:06 PM Post #208 of 208
You rock, I appreciate your insight.

Going to go with the stock cable, the price perspective compared to the IEM is a good point. Obviously the cable is useable for other IEMs but sounds like I really only need this set and maybe my clean clean technical balanced set.

For source I use a Dethonray prelude. More than capable of pushing the Ara beyond what I can take, though at higher gains which don’t really hiss on the prelude.
In my experience.

I have thought of getting a portable headphone amp, but kind of ruins the point of the prelude. Might pick up a pusher of a DAP next? I don’t really need one tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back