Nightjar Singularity
Nov 14, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #107 of 217
Nov 14, 2023 at 11:33 PM Post #109 of 217
IMG_8437.jpeg

Crossposting:

Got my hands on Singularity. The unit belongs to one of my dear friends @deep2285

Highlights:

1. Quite likeable tuning, that’s what I call a safe tuning. It should not disappoint any ears. It’s not harsh and not piercing at all.
2. The bass has been very very nicely done, especially the sub bass. It does not sound boomy at all. That’s there a good quality bass. Definitely the best bass in this price range.
3. It has a tricky fit. I tried a lot of tips on it - SF W1, Corier, Divinus Velvet, Azla Light, Tangzu eartips. The best seal I get is with Azla Light. A good tight seal is very very very important otherwise these iems will not sound good at all. I can imagine the corier tips to do a bit of trick in the treble but sadly it does not fit well.
5. Soundstage is bit narrow. (Duality?)
4. Good balanced sweet mids but could be bit forward and more prominent. (Duality?)
5. Lacks bit of air. (Duality?)
6. Stock cable is decent enough. I don’t see a need to upgrade to some other cables.
7. The whole package - wooden box and the metal case - is just too awesome.

To be honest, this iem has its own league. It’s different in the sense that it feels like it has been tuned and designed following a rule book. It does not sound like a totl killer, Or will give you a super wow kick in the beginning. It will grow on you. The bass(sub-bass) is really pleasant and good physical presence to it. You can wear them comfortably for hours without any fatigue which is what I really like about them.

Nov 15, 2023 at 12:27 PM Post #110 of 217
So I received my singularly on Monday, launch edition #72, and have spent the last couple of days with it and wanted to share some impressions about them.

Summary: Endgame, for me.

Slightly longer summary: Endgame is a loaded term I know, but essentially as close to what I personally would consider endgame that I have heard in a long time. A sound signature that really resonates with my personal preferences. More than good enough technically for me. And most importantly, the fit for me is so far quite good, not perfect, but so far it seems to be better than many other IEMs I have tried. Admittedly my ears are picky and sensitive to fit, so this of course may be different for everyone else. So endgame at least in the sense that FOR NOW, I think I am going to happily go back to not buying more IEMs and instead just listen to this one.

The tuning is really working for me. I dont think I need to expand too too much on this since most of what I will say has probably already been said by others, but its definitely a bass heavy set with a nice offset gain in the upper mids to balance the bass nicely. Treble is quite smooth and is maybe the one area I could see a bit of improvement as there is just that last little bit of sparkly or air missing in the upper treble. That said, I dont think that really takes away from the listening experience. And I am finding these just a really smooth, warm listen, one that is non fatiguing and easy to listen for long periods. The bass presentation is easily up there with some of the best I have heard. Its neither too quick or loose, and it extends nice and deep to give a good sense of physicality that I really like and seek out in my IEMs. At least, as much as IEMs are capable of that. I like well done bass, and these definitely deliver. Overall I feel like they have managed a good balance across the frequency spectrum even with the large amount of coloration applied. Certainly not a neutral set.

Im never the one to talk too much about technicalities like sheer resolution or soundstage or any of that. I think the smooth treble may contribute a bit to these not feeling like the most ultra resolving IEMs out there. For me I dont think that matters. Soundstage has a nice sense of width and there is a decent sense of separation between instruments. Probably nothing earth shatteringly amazing here.

Fit has been quite good for me. Not perfect, but quite good. I had them in and out of my ears for a full work day yesterday, and while there was some slight discomfort after the full work day, that seems to be kind of expected. I was able to have them in my ears for multiple hours without any real issues. I did need some adjustments here and there. But none of the real pressure point issues I find with some others, so no major discomfort or pain. The shells are relatively small and pretty lightweight. The stem is short though so larger tips or tips with longer stems seem to be required here. I am still very early in the tip rolling process, but spent most of the day yesterday with large spinfit w1's. Today I am trying out azla sedna ear fit lights, for the longer stem and wide bore. Havent heard any huge sound differences from different tips yet, so I am mainly aiming for comfort. I personally have not had any difficulty getting a good seal with these, but the short stems definitely could prove tricky to some.

Along with fit and comfort, I have also experienced no pressure build up or any fatigue from listening, even though it is quite bassy. To contrast that for me. I have a pair of fatfreq maestro mini, which are another very bass heavy set. Those cause noticeable pressure buildup and some discomfort for me that is separate from the actual fit of the IEM.

I got the vanguard 2w with mine, and Its quite nice for a cable. Its got a small amount of heft I could do without that seems to tug on my ears a bit. But its a good looking cable, and the material is relatively microphonic free and doesnt seem to have any memory effect which is great. Looks also match the IEM quite nicely. Not usually a fan of anything gold plated or colored, but the black and gold color scheme is nice as the gold is really just for some accent. Not 100% on whether I would prefer earhooks or not. They might relieve a very small amount of pressure the IEMs put on my ear, but then again earhooks often create their own discomfort from digging into the top of my ear. I also dont really feel like earhooks are needed to keep the IEM stable.

The launch edition packaging was really nice too. The box was a real nice touch, though I dont actually see myself using the hard metal case for transporting the IEMs. So as nice at it is, most likely its just going to sit and collect dust for me. Still nice to have, and the box is nice enough that it could be displayed on a shelf somewhere.

Its hard to say if these are really truly worth the cost, as a single dynamic driver. But for what you get and the sound they put out, with the overall quality of them, in this hobby, seems like it may actually be kind of a bargain. Especially compared to how crazy pricing has gotten lately for some IEMs.

So to sum up. I am smitten by these. The sound they put out is really working to my preferences. Great bass without sacrificing much elsewhere, and a fit that actually amazingly works for me. And without a good fit, it doesnt really matter how good they sound. The Z1R for me was a wonderful sounding IEM, but I couldnt get past the fit. And more recently, same thing with the campfire bonneville.

Nov 18, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #111 of 217
To all the Singularity owners, if you can, please try these iems with Earmen Angel. That's a match made in heaven. I had never imagined the Singularity to pair so well with this dac/amp. It has better synergy with the Angel than the LPGT and even the A&K SP3K. Please try to demo this pairing if possible. The Angel has a bright profile and is quite powerful, both of which are added advantages for the IEMs. And there is some other magic happening that I am really unaware of, and the pair sounds like an end-game setup.

Nov 20, 2023 at 7:35 AM Post #113 of 217
I would love to read a review about the 4w as well...

Nov 25, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #114 of 217
I got the iems Sony IER-Z1R today. After spending the last couple of weeks with my last favourite set, Nightjar Singularity, and comparing how both of these amazing iems sound, I am totally convinced the makers of Singularity took some cues from the Z1R.

Thoughts:

1. The Sony iems have certainly a better bass, at least quantity-wise. Singularity and Z1R have prominent subbass and sound similar in the bass department. The subbass is more strongly felt on Z1R. Despite the huge bass quantity on the Z1R, it never sounds bloated or boomy.
2. The mids on Z1R are not as sweet and sound a little recessed. Singularity's mids are sweeter to my ears. Male vocals sound really dry on Z1R, and the female vocals also lack emotion. This is not distinctly felt in Singularity.
3. The treble is handled a bit better on the Z1R. For me, the treble is quite controlled; there is no harshness, and I can feel there is more air up top than the Singularity.
4. The soundstage is wider and taller on the IER-Z1R and the depth is also higher on the Z1R.

Singularity is Z1R's younger sibling. They both sound quite similar, though Z1R wins in a lot of aspects and certainly is the better of the two. The best thing about Singularity and the worst thing about the Z1R is the ergonomics. Singularity can sit comfortably for hours in your ears, and you won't feel an itch. The Z1R is monstrous with its size and weight, which can certainly be very uncomfortable for some. Singularity certainly wins over in comfort, and of the two, it is more lovable despite the fact that Z1R sounds better than Singularity.

IMG_8668.jpeg

Nov 25, 2023 at 1:12 PM Post #115 of 217
IMG_8437.jpeg

Crossposting:

Got my hands on Singularity. The unit belongs to one of my dear friends @deep2285

Highlights:

1. Quite likeable tuning, that’s what I call a safe tuning. It should not disappoint any ears. It’s not harsh and not piercing at all.
2. The bass has been very very nicely done, especially the sub bass. It does not sound boomy at all. That’s there a good quality bass. Definitely the best bass in this price range.
3. It has a tricky fit. I tried a lot of tips on it - SF W1, Corier, Divinus Velvet, Azla Light, Tangzu eartips. The best seal I get is with Azla Light. A good tight seal is very very very important otherwise these iems will not sound good at all. I can imagine the corier tips to do a bit of trick in the treble but sadly it does not fit well.
5. Soundstage is bit narrow. (Duality?)
4. Good balanced sweet mids but could be bit forward and more prominent. (Duality?)
5. Lacks bit of air. (Duality?)
6. Stock cable is decent enough. I don’t see a need to upgrade to some other cables.
7. The whole package - wooden box and the metal case - is just too awesome.

To be honest, this iem has its own league. It’s different in the sense that it feels like it has been tuned and designed following a rule book. It does not sound like a totl killer, Or will give you a super wow kick in the beginning. It will grow on you. The bass(sub-bass) is really pleasant and good physical presence to it. You can wear them comfortably for hours without any fatigue which is what I really like about them.
Your imagination is correct that the Coreir tips enhance the treble a bit, and thankfully for me seal well, even if they dislodge in my ear sometimes!
Hi all,

Just received my Singularity...it came with the Vanguard 2w. Could anyone share comparison to 4w Vanguard? And any other cables from Nightjar?

Thank you!!!
I am really enjoying the 4w Vanguard after having had the 2w up to CanJam Socal when I traded it in for 4w. 4w is an awesome cable, and it adds more meat to the sound, but has the same basic sound as 2w. I like the additional heft, I thought 2w was too light and flimsy, but YMMV.

Nov 25, 2023 at 7:24 PM Post #116 of 217
I got the iems Sony IER-Z1R today. After spending the last couple of weeks with my last favourite set, Nightjar Singularity, and comparing how both of these amazing iems sound, I am totally convinced the makers of Singularity took some cues from the Z1R.

Thoughts:

1. The Sony iems have certainly a better bass, at least quantity-wise. Singularity and Z1R have prominent subbass and sound similar in the bass department. The subbass is more strongly felt on Z1R. Despite the huge bass quantity on the Z1R, it never sounds bloated or boomy.
2. The mids on Z1R are not as sweet and sound a little recessed. Singularity's mids are sweeter to my ears. Male vocals sound really dry on Z1R, and the female vocals also lack emotion. This is not distinctly felt in Singularity.
3. The treble is handled a bit better on the Z1R. For me, the treble is quite controlled; there is no harshness, and I can feel there is more air up top than the Singularity.
4. The soundstage is wider and taller on the IER-Z1R and the depth is also higher on the Z1R.

Singularity is Z1R's younger sibling. They both sound quite similar, though Z1R wins in a lot of aspects and certainly is the better of the two. The best thing about Singularity and the worst thing about the Z1R is the ergonomics. Singularity can sit comfortably for hours in your ears, and you won't feel an itch. The Z1R is monstrous with its size and weight, which can certainly be very uncomfortable for some. Singularity certainly wins over in comfort, and of the two, it is more lovable despite the fact that Z1R sounds better than Singularity.

IMG_8668.jpeg
Nice impressions. The z1r was my first love when it came to high end iems. I absolutely couldn't stand the fit and had to sell them on a long time ago. Interesting that you say they share some similarities. It's been way too long since I had the z1r to compare, but it certainly could explain a bit why I like the singularity so much. Comfort is definitely a vast improvement for me over the z1r. Though I still do get some discomfort and mild pain after longer listening sessions.

Dec 2, 2023 at 5:31 AM Post #117 of 217
Hey everyone, hoping to get some insight into the Singularity and how it compares in bass in comparison to other TOTL IEMs known for their bass like Legend X. If someone has heard both these IEMs, which of these two would one say is more bassy in terms of raw quantity. I am looking more for slam and punch than rumble so don't particularly care about sub-bass, more focused on bass drums and guitars having impact.

If there's other TOTL IEMs with a bass heavy signature, I'd appreciate some recommendations as well.

Dec 2, 2023 at 5:55 AM Post #118 of 217
Hey everyone, hoping to get some insight into the Singularity and how it compares in bass in comparison to other TOTL IEMs known for their bass like Legend X. If someone has heard both these IEMs, which of these two would one say is more bassy in terms of raw quantity. I am looking more for slam and punch than rumble so don't particularly care about sub-bass, more focused on bass drums and guitars having impact.

If there's other TOTL IEMs with a bass heavy signature, I'd appreciate some recommendations as well.
i have both right now (singularity and legend evo), quantity wise evo has way more bass than singularity.

Dec 2, 2023 at 7:13 AM Post #119 of 217
i have both right now (singularity and legend evo), quantity wise evo has way more bass than singularity.
Thanks for the comparison! I might have to read up a bit more on EVO as I kind of took a step back from the audiophile hobby when it was released but, from my cursory research, it seems Legend X might be the bassier of the two even though EVO probably has the better quality bass. I'll probably pull the trigger on getting a Legend X then.

Dec 2, 2023 at 7:30 AM Post #120 of 217
Thanks for the comparison! I might have to read up a bit more on EVO as I kind of took a step back from the audiophile hobby when it was released but, from my cursory research, it seems Legend X might be the bassier of the two even though EVO probably has the better quality bass. I'll probably pull the trigger on getting a Legend X then.
i also used to have LX se (the gold plate LX, JP version), i dont think my LX is bassier than evo, however it does have more intimate presentation than evo
thus it seems to hit harder (as things are more in your face)

either way both LX and evo has more bass quantity than Singularity.

Other recent IEM that comes to mind in term of raw bass qty is Fir Audio especially Xe6 and Kr5, and fatfreq mini (i read that their latest release, scarlett mini, is a bass monster, but i havent heard it myself)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back