Night Oblivion Butastur thread
Nov 16, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #301 of 320
Wow....i was seeking for Butastur sound impressions and im well serve here.

now its official. gotta get it and review it. diversify sound impressions here confirm i need too.

again, i dont think there any other 10 knowles BA IEM at this competitive price. imaging accuracy is no1 thing i ask, then fast well extended BA bass and lot of treble info....with good control but not forced spiky resolution....

only concern are about female vocal since i dont listen to male vocal apart the like of Rhye, Hayden Thorpes which have high pitch voice. i like BA vocal of YanYin Canon2 or QOA Aviation but those are hybrid. I love BA vocal of Kinera Skuld which are 5BA. hope it will be similar to one of those

Nov 16, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #302 of 320
like BA vocal of YanYin Canon2
Canon2 is very well tuned in a different way. Interesting to see whether you like that signature or this QDC-inspired signature more.

Personally, I have two IEMs with this QDC-like signature and while they are alright, I don’t want any QDC signature in my collection anymore.

Nov 24, 2023 at 2:48 AM Post #303 of 320
PENON Stay updated on PENON at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1221974387914138/ https://twitter.com/PenonAudio?s=09 https://www.instagram.com/penonaudio/ https://penonaudio.com/ penonaudio@hotmail.com
Jan 8, 2024 at 11:28 PM Post #304 of 320
finaly, after 2 months of lovin, my Night Oblivion Butastur review is up.
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/night-oblivion-butastur.26677/reviews#review-32661

Musicality is a strange moody thing, yet these grown on me tremendously, making me testing them on all my source, always curious of the result.
If you seek a mid centric to warm neutral jack of all trade musicality that offer high sound value in a refined, naturaly balanced way....this is a excellent bet.
I've listen to 64audio U18T for a month last year, and these are near on par and im not even playin hyper game here...
Its versatile but will shine even more with instrumental, classical, jazz, vocal centric etc..
The 4 switch choice inflict in a subtle yet consequent way too...
These IEMs are special, but not suggested to basshead and treble heads, its all about natural balance here.
its a keeper for me, i use these to do monitor work like producing-mastering (both switch down) my hobby music making or enjoying music (no1 or both switch up)

THE PLUS:
-smooth cohesive and natural balance
-warm to gently bright neutral with mellow bass boost
-extremely versatile musicality
-spot on tone and timbre
-dense lush rich natural mids
-weighty non fatiguing thick bass
-good note weight
-wide instrument presence
-master of acoustic instruments and vocal (piano, saxo, violin, cello)
-smooth like butter without the warmth muddyness
-excellent layering and good imaging
-holographic spatiality
-can be use for monitoring or music enjoyment
-rich sound info that scale up with source
-TOTL performance for the price
-jack of all trade, master of tone
-safely tuned without being boring
-excellent cable
-excellent sound value

THE MINUS:
-bass is a bit warm in definition of impact
-like always with multi BAs, it lack sparkle-brilliance
-when treble switch on and bass switch off, highs are less refined
-not the cleanest background especially when bass impact occur
-quite intimate soundstage
-will be too maturely tuned for both treble head and basshead
-personaly, im not a fan of more than 1 switch
-and those switch cant be turned with our finger
-a bit capricious in term of ear tips, cable and source pairing (worth the best!)

1704774387610.png

Mar 4, 2024 at 12:41 PM Post #306 of 320
Enjoying my Butastur with some Iron Maiden.
As with other IEMs, the chain is key.
In my case, Fiio M11S ->VE Prime DAC ->ADV AMP.
They sound powerful, detailed, very clean with good and fast bass…
I think it is precisely the cleanliness of sound that you mention that deters some people from it. In some cases it can indeed sound a bit too sterile. But then, when you find your flow with it and equip it with the right chain, ... oh boy, can it deliver. Fantastic set.

1000011501.jpg

Mar 4, 2024 at 1:03 PM Post #307 of 320
I think it is precisely the cleanliness of sound that you mention that deters some people from it. In some cases it can indeed sound a bit too sterile. But then, when you find your flow with it and equip it with the right chain, ... oh boy, can it deliver. Fantastic set.

1000011501.jpg
They are very source dependent...
It reminds me of the Timeless OG.
Try to use them directly from a your phone or a low quality/power source and I can assure you that you will hate them.
Use a powerful source, ideally on the warmer side, throw a good copper cable and they will surprise you. They will still present a planar timbre but nothing like when they are used underpowered...

Regarding the Butastur, I appreciate them more and more... When using only the M11S they can sound a bit on the thin side... But with the Prime DAC and the ADV they sound amazing

Mar 4, 2024 at 2:02 PM Post #308 of 320
Regarding the Butastur, I appreciate them more and more... When using only the M11S they can sound a bit on the thin side... But with the Prime DAC and the ADV they sound amazing
Please tell us more about influence of ADV. I see ADV during months and can't decide to buy it. Is it worth to connect with warm source? What about transparency and dynamics?

Mar 5, 2024 at 11:43 PM Post #309 of 320
They are very source dependent...
It reminds me of the Timeless OG.
Try to use them directly from a your phone or a low quality/power source and I can assure you that you will hate them.
Use a powerful source, ideally on the warmer side, throw a good copper cable and they will surprise you. They will still present a planar timbre but nothing like when they are used underpowered...

Did you manage to swap the op amp to muse02 on ADV?

Mar 6, 2024 at 2:50 AM Post #310 of 320
Please tell us more about influence of ADV. I see ADV during months and can't decide to buy it. Is it worth to connect with warm source? What about transparency and dynamics?
The ADV AMP is a warm source already so I would not advise to connect it to a warm DAC.
I can only compare it with my VE Runabout AMP, and the VE Runabout is more dynamic and has a cleaner presentation of the sound.
The ADV is a good choice if used to power more analytical IEMs or headphones, but is has background noise. I was told this is normal in tube amps.
I bought it mainly to pair it with Butastur has AS was using it. It's a good match, but because is my only AMP around 100$, I don't know if it's a particularly good value for money.
Also, mine has the op amp swapped so the sound may differ from the original. I can't comment on the difference because I barely listened to it before swapping the op amp.
Did you manage to swap the op amp to muse02 on ADV?
Yes I did.
Incredibly it still works after my intervention 🤣

Mar 9, 2024 at 4:40 AM Post #311 of 320
IMG_20240308_171005-wm-42548.200000047684_watermarked.jpg

IMG_20240308_170903-wm-43145.700000047684_watermarked.jpg

First impressions are very positive. Well made, comfortable with good cable and a nice carrying case. Sound performance out of the box is very promising. Stock tuning is a little bass emphasized with great clarity in the mids and the treble which is not harsh. Haven't fiddle with the switches yet. Review is in progress.

Apr 2, 2024 at 1:12 PM Post #312 of 320
just got the iem, impulse buying it because it get double discount (local seller store discount + marketplace coupon discount)

for now cant really say about the sound cause im feeling under the weather, everything feels thin & dry (i thought its faulty unit but getting uncomfortable when trying my other cans too)

but wow, the vents really works very well...
from someone who move to headphones after got mild tinnitus and feels too stuffy when using iem more than 1 hour, i barely feels the pressure on this iem.... its remind me with those 64 audio iems that already use apex module...

also is there any good eartips recommendation for this iem? i dont really have much ear tips left after sold most of it years ago...

Apr 2, 2024 at 1:17 PM Post #313 of 320
just got the iem, impulse buying it because it get double discount (local seller store discount + marketplace coupon discount)

for now cant really say about the sound cause im feeling under the weather, everything feels thin & dry (i thought its faulty unit but getting uncomfortable when trying my other cans too)

from someone who move to headphones after got mild tinnitus and feels too stuffy when using iem more than 1 hour, i barely feels the pressure on this iem.... its remind me with those 64 audio iems that already use apex module...

also is there any good eartips recommendation for this iem? i dont really have much ear tips left after sold most of it years ago...
The H570 eartips were what the designer of the Butastur used when tuning the iem and are what he recommends. I wholeheartedly agree as I rolled many tips and these seemed to strike the best balance. You can find plenty of sellers on Aliexpress for these as well. They'll be a clear, hybrid latex tip with a blue center.

Apr 2, 2024 at 2:02 PM Post #314 of 320
Feaulle H570 or Pentaconn Coreir are best for me.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2024 at 3:23 PM Post #315 of 320

The tips are definitely the H570... No point on messing around IMHO.

Also if you source is more on the analytical side, yeah they may sound thin... The thing is, they are very transparent so everything has more impact in the sound when compared with some other IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back