Nice rig under 500
Jul 8, 2008 at 7:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Bigmoney

New Head-Fier
Hey guys this is my first thread on this forum. This seems to be the place to go for headphone advice. I am looking into setting up a headphone rig on a 500 dollar budget that will be used with my ipod as the source. I am going away to college next year so i figured having headphones would be a better alternative than bringing my very nice 2 channel set up. I would hate to see someone use the five finger discount on my b and w's or spill beer on them for that matter.

I am looking into open headphones and I am willing to buy an amp to use with my ipod if needed. I will probably need to get an amp to get satisfying performance because I have grown accustomed to good sound. My total purchase, amp and headphone, needs to come in less than 500. Well, prefereable far less than 500. 300 would be great but I am sure that would be pushing it. Maybe 400 is a good happy medium, but 500 is surely the limit.

I was at my dealer the other day and had a chance to listen to the grado s60 and was not impressed. I found the sound a bit anemic, tinny, and congested in my head. For that reason I don't believe grados are for me.

Currently I own the audio technica m40fs with a boostaroo headphone amp. Not sure how great that amp is, got it for like 60 bucks so I am sure it can be bettered.

My musical tastes include pink floyd, roger waters, lots of acoustical stuff, steely dan, led zeppelin, and plenty of more mellow tunes. I think the phones I need will have to be good all-around. The ones I have considered are the akg's and the sennheiser. I was confused the differences between the akg 501 601 and 701 and was left with a similar feeling with the senn 580, 595, and 600. Then there are still the audio technicas and a few denon models that I have seen.

Most importantly, I am looking for a set of cans with superb imaging, well atleast for a headphone that is. I want cans that get the music out of my head. I want to experience the music not feel like I am recording it. I want a set of cans true to the source and with superb imaging. I will also need an amp to go with the can of choice. Thanks for reading and I can't wait to hear your feedback!!

Jul 8, 2008 at 7:56 PM Post #2 of 16
M Audio Q40, MiniBox E+
Maybe that would be good and not too expensive for dorm use.
I havent personally heard this combo, but they get good reviews on this forum.
I was going to suggest saving your money of youre worried about theives and get Grado SR60's and either no amp, or a used HeadSix on the for sale forum or something, but you dont like Grados.
HD595 would give good inexpensive sound, and either a good portable amp, or a desktop from Little Dot or something.
Theres so much out there.

Jul 8, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #3 of 16
Look at the Sennheisers - I think they're a good fit for your musical tastes. Sennheiser sells refurbished HD-580s around $175 (I think) and I've seen used ones go for less. You can also find the HD-600 used around $200.

You will need an amp with these, and portables just don't have the juice to drive them. If you can stretch a few dollars, the Gilmore Lite is a good match at $350. Also good is the Eddie Current Lunchbox II ($225) and the Corda Arietta.

Jul 8, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #4 of 16
PriceJapan.com

(stax 2050A electrostatic system)

Im waiting on my first stax system, but I dont think you could do much better then this under 500$. My first complete system was

Ipod (with apple Ipod Dock - Line Out) > Zu Pivot > Darkvoice 336i (w/ Zu Birth) > HD650

which sounds amazing and can be had for about 600 if you search ebay (zu/darkvoice) amazon (where I got my HD650s for ~ 300 new) and the FS forums here. Along with my Stax in transit, that is the system im bringing up to school next year.

Jul 8, 2008 at 11:14 PM Post #5 of 16
Those are some good ideas. I am going to look into them tonight. Any reason you have not reccommended the akg's, I thought they were supposed to be the most speaker-like and have the flattest response. Not to mention I like the way they look.

The stax option is very intriguing, especially bcause it is a matched system. Those headphones look like no BS, but sure are ugly! What about the ibasso amp I have heard of, abd how does the boostaroo compare to the better amps available?

Jul 8, 2008 at 11:36 PM Post #6 of 16
the AKG KXX1's are notoriously hard to drive, and a portable amp won't do them justice.

Jul 9, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #7 of 16
boostaroo is not an amp the same way an ibasso (or similar) is an amp. Thats like asking how do sandals compare to hiking boots for backpacking. Sure they both cover your feet, but one is purpose built.

For me, nothing beats my Grado's (sr225s) for acoustic focused music. If you can, you might want to listen to some of the upper models, say an RS2, if you think you disliked the S60 and not the grado sound. Grados are very efficient, so you could spend more of your budget on headphones, less on an amp. Not to say Grados dont improve with and amp, but they are not 'amp driven headphones'. Some people think they are good all rounders, probably most do not, but an RS grado would give you alot in terms of SQ.

Probably the most popular all rounder here on headfi is the Sennheiser 6xx, but the senns are amp driven headphones, so you would have to pair it carefully with a good amp for the best sound.

As for the electrostatics, there are also many vintage options to consider, and most STAX listeners swear they beat all (most) dynamic headphones.

Jul 9, 2008 at 1:53 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigmoney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those are some good ideas. I am going to look into them tonight. Any reason you have not reccommended the akg's, I thought they were supposed to be the most speaker-like and have the flattest response. Not to mention I like the way they look.

The stax option is very intriguing, especially bcause it is a matched system. Those headphones look like no BS, but sure are ugly! What about the ibasso amp I have heard of, abd how does the boostaroo compare to the better amps available?

You know how sometimes you are attracted to girls based on personality alone?
biggrin.gif
Actually, I find the Stax headphones to be quite nice looking. And in person they are smaller than expected, so their net ugliness is scaled down in accordance to the fraction of the size you expected them to be. And tell me the Omega II mkII is not gorgeous?

I would say that, although not inexpensive, entry level Stax are high on the bang-for-buck spectrum.

As for your query on AKGs: I like the K701 out of any source or amp.

Jul 9, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #10 of 16
I wouldn't suggest K701s without a good amp. If you're looking for a tube amp on the cheap, the millet starving student is supposedly a good deal and you can probably find someone here to build you one. User rds has a custom tube amp for sale for a good price, and he uses it with K701s.

I'm using a Little Dot MK V and it drives the K701s well enough for me, but it's probably a bit over your price range.

Jul 9, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #11 of 16
Out of the Grado's I've heard(sr60 and 80) and from everything I've read, there are only two Grado cans that will provide the "out-of-head" experience you're talking about, the MS1000(a DYI-mod headphone), and I the GS1000 IIRC. What I mean is, most grado cans will have smallish soundstages that will disappoint your desire for a speaker-like sound. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Other brands such as the Sennheisers and akgs(of which I have heard) will provide an out-of-head experience, especially the K701.

All of this excludes any amping/synergy talk
etysmile.gif

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #12 of 16
Depends what you're looking for, but Ultrasone's (2500/750) out of an Original Master amp is a reasonable combo if you're looking for it, and it'll clock at under 500$ new if you shop around you can probably knock at least 100$ of that used.

Alternatively, from what I remember of the HD 580/600 they'd pair acceptably with the same amp as well.

Jul 9, 2008 at 5:24 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigmoney /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have long since smashed all the mirrors in my house after picking up my stax rig . . .
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 9, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #15 of 16
Stax impression threads are all over this forum, I don't really need to copy/paste what other ppl have said many times already.

To sum it up, it's generally considered fast, airy, and very smooth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back