Nice-ish watch for $100 max?
Nov 23, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #17 of 33
Yes, you can't go wrong with a Seiko (but I'm biased, I have two
biggrin.gif
)

Buy a designer watch only if you want looks and nothing else
biggrin.gif

Or just buy this Amazon.com: Invicta Men's Pro Diver Collection Automatic Watch #8926: Invicta: Watches it looks almost exactly like a submariner for $100...though the quality control isn't so hot.

Nov 23, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #20 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by vagarach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, you can't go wrong with a Seiko (but I'm biased, I have two
biggrin.gif
)

Buy a designer watch only if you want looks and nothing else
biggrin.gif

Or just buy this Amazon.com: Invicta Men's Pro Diver Collection Automatic Watch #8926: Invicta: Watches it looks almost exactly like a submariner for $100...though the quality control isn't so hot.

I had one of these. Looks almost EXACTLY like a submariner.

Nov 23, 2008 at 5:25 AM Post #21 of 33
At the sub-$100 range, I'd have to go with a Seiko or a Pulsar.

I have a Titan Edge in that price range that I love (extremely thin-thinner than the Skagens model if I am correct) but that would be difficult as I think they are only available in India. My parents also recently bought me a Kenneth Cole Reaction Automatic that is growing on me.

Nov 23, 2008 at 5:28 AM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychowda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Invicta watches are pretty nice for the $100-150 range

invicta_8926_1.jpg

I think the Invicta 8926 is one of the best values out there. The Miyota movement is solid and the 8926 has developed a cult following over the years. Google it for reviews - this is considered by many the least expensive entry to "nice" watches. They go for almost exactly $100 shipped on eBay, so you don't have to stretch your budget. I've come close to ordering one so many times, but I've got too many watches and have been getting more attached to a Sinn 244. But for your price range, I don't think you could do much better.

If you want to go vintage, there are more options. You should be able to pick up an Eterna-Matic or a Longines Ultra-Chron in that price range. Those are excellent, largely unappreciated watches.

Oh, and if Head-Fi isn't bad enough, here's some crack for watch freaks:

http://www.pmwf.com/

Nov 23, 2008 at 6:17 AM Post #24 of 33
I would prefer it over the invicta, which is out-and-out a poor man's submariner, whereas this is a design all of its own. Quartz movement also means that it will keep accurate time and you don't have to worry about it at all. It is also rated to 330ft, which is nothing to scoff at for a non-diving watch, and has a perpetual calendar.

Nov 23, 2008 at 6:20 AM Post #25 of 33
Yeah, those are some of the reasons I like it. Initially, I was looking at the solar and kinetic powered watches, but you know that would just bother me. I like a battery that you just forget about for 4 years, and then just pop in a new one. I think I will go ahead and order it then
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 23, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #26 of 33
I have a couple Citizen eco-drive watches. They are solar powered watches. They do not have to stay in direct sunlight in order to keep a charge. If you leave them in a drawer somewhere for months on end, then it will die and have to be reset.

Nov 23, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, those are some of the reasons I like it. Initially, I was looking at the solar and kinetic powered watches, but you know that would just bother me. I like a battery that you just forget about for 4 years, and then just pop in a new one. I think I will go ahead and order it then
smily_headphones1.gif

Acually, the Kinetic is also a quartz watch as is, if I am correct, the solar Eco-drives. They keep time just as accurately as regular quartz watches, but have the added benefit that you never have to worry about a battery. I find myself oft having to reset my Seiko Kinetic because I don't wear it often. However, my dad has worn one every day for 8 years now and it is still as accurate today as it was when it was new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back