Nice article comparing old-school PCDPs
Dec 28, 2005 at 7:51 PM Post #16 of 56
Very interesting article... I find myself wishing he'd compared more PCDPs. So far the Sony D-33 is my favorite out of all the PCDPs I've heard, with the Kenwood DPC-61 I acquired from Voodoochile not too far behind.

I really wish the Kenwood had an optical out, because the transport is in a different league than most PCDPs... far, far better, and you can tell from both looking at it and hearing it. Unfortunately the player suffers from being saddled with a 1990 DAC. Not bad, just could be a lot better. Anything earlier than 1991-92 seems to have problems with the highs.

The D-33 isn't too detailed and transients could be snappier, but it makes up for it with a refined sound, lush midrange and great soundstaging. It's also a bit laid back, which could turn some people off. Sony D-171 also deserves honorable mention IMO, but its build quality is crap.

Re: modern players... most of them both look and sound cheap to me. The convenience features, longer battery life, etc. are nice of course. Some people apparently can't get past that aspect, even allowing it to affect their opinion of sound quality (either that, or they've only heard the 'legendary' 1980s metal players, which are really only legendary in being as heavy as tanks, having pretty backlights and sounding bad).

Dec 28, 2005 at 9:02 PM Post #17 of 56
The D-555 and D-25 IMO sounds ok but not stellar by any means. D-555 w/ cap mods and a Toro Bull modded D-25 sounds better. The D-303 is an excellent sounding PCDP thru the line out and has a decent headphone out. It has a rich and smooth sound to it not found in the D-555 or the D-25. The best PCDP vintage or current that I've had the opportunity to listen to and currently own is the Denon DCP-150. It's level of detail, accuracy, and soundstage is by far IMO the best I've heard from a PCDP vintage or current.

Dec 28, 2005 at 9:39 PM Post #18 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu
The D-303 is an excellent sounding PCDP thru the line out and has a decent headphone out. It has a rich and smooth sound to it not found in the D-555 or the D-25

Time to play with the D-303
smily_headphones1.gif

LOL @ MegaBass!!
eggosmile.gif

Dec 28, 2005 at 10:31 PM Post #20 of 56
The 303 definitely has a more contemporary sound. Well on the way to ditching the ultimately not-that-nice graininess and genuine lack of resolving capability of the 555/25/33/etc. My favourite in terms of still actually usable now and loud + decent quality would be, as I think I've said before, the D-777. But I'd still take any major-name current DAP over it (especially with Lossless). The D-465 seemed to offer all of the sonic aspects of the 777 in a brief listen combined with an even more usable aspect: anti-shock, but I haven't spent enough time with it to be able to comment with any authority.

The D-25S '80's Metal Tank with pretty backlight' with the BP cell is about the same weight as, and smaller than many of the slightly later plastic players with AA batteries. It may not sound that good, but it is nevertheless somewhat more refined than one of these
wink.gif

port-d33fphs.jpg

But what you'd spend on a D-25S compared to the above player is in total disproportion to any sonic difference, which makes that black lump quite a bargain. A bargain, but not a 'classic' in sonic terms either. It is very powerful and somewhat authoritative in it's way though. Just... rougher than I'd expect out of even a really budget CDP now.

I must say that I didn't always feel like this, especially when I was snatching listens of these players. The potential loudness of some of these players really does mess with your head when using less efficient phones (especially if you line them up with the rather limited Sony's of today), and it's one of the main reasons why I now level-match before listening tests. I've learned from that experience now. After I got them and spent a fair amount of time with them my opinions began to lose the 'new toy / bargain fever', then it probably became less subjective. I still love the design of these tanks, which is why I hang onto them. I still like the D-777 all over though, that must mean something... maybe?

Dec 28, 2005 at 11:46 PM Post #21 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
The 303 definitely has a more contemporary sound. Well on the way to ditching the ultimately not-that-nice graininess and genuine lack of resolving capability of the 555/25/33/etc. My favourite in terms of still actually usable now and loud + decent quality would be, as I think I've said before, the D-777.

Loud... are you saying you listen to portables UNAMPED? Well sheez, I believe you're getting the sound quality you deserve. Try amping sometime, it really helps. I can't believe anyone would rely on the crappy opamps and potentially high output impedance of portable players.

Dec 29, 2005 at 12:00 AM Post #22 of 56
Let me see... Would you assume that someone who does this wouldn't have tried whatever he's had amped, unamped and everything inbetween with a very wide range of phones?

mobiamp.jpg

Believe it or not, portable CD players have headphone sockets because that's how they were mainly meant to be used. I believe in at least trying to listen through the HP out as well as the LO. And if anything, the better the amping, the more these older discmen are shown up by the contemporary machines.

Dec 29, 2005 at 12:35 AM Post #23 of 56
LOLOLOLOL
k1000smile.gif
etysmile.gif
eggosmile.gif

That picture kills me everytime I look at it
smily_headphones1.gif
HA HA HAAAA!!

I dont amp my portables either...well right now I have the D303 and D25 hooked up to two the Dynahi for comparison purposes...but I dont think i will want to lug a gorilla of an amp to work and back. I have a DAP as well but I just like borrowing CDs from coworkers without the hassle of ripping and transferring etc. etc. etc.

Dec 29, 2005 at 4:27 PM Post #26 of 56
I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but if you're after bang for the buck and quality, why not pick a deck?

I've noticed the vast majority of 'vintage' PCDP's end up as bedroom/office/etc rigs where they are probably not moved around at all. For good reason of course since these were never the most portable of devices to start with, and 10 years of use will undoubtedly have left them even less so. Consider the footprint of a top-loading PCDP, a couple of CD cases and an amp, as opposed to a deck which even offers a large flat top surface for putting amps / CD's in use / phones on. Not a HUGE difference in practical terms for most, I'll bet.

90's Technics (needn't be just them... Marantz, etc all made very good affordable decks during the 90's, I'm sure someone here is more knowledgeable about them) decks for example generally sound good, many were pretty compact and light as far as a deck goes, offer everything you want in a bedroom / office rig with a 'full-strength' as opposed to 'minimal internationally agreed' Line Out, full remote, usually a half-decent headphone stage and you can pick them up for a fraction of the more desirable but worse-sounding and less convenient in use 'real classic' Discmen. There are no functional compromises due to available current/voltage, more room available for 'full-sized' electronic components and... need I go on?

I realise that posting up a picture of a deck wouldn't garner kudos points on Head-Fi and that collecting these things while on a limited budget may be a large part of the fun. But that and sound quality have nothing to do with each other. Modern portable gear is actually portable and audibly/measurably sounds in many like-for-like (in the current market equivalent heirachy) cases every bit as good as some of the best of the 'classics' if not better, especially when amped.

If you place SQ as a priority in an essentially non-portable environment and you have a keen eye for value, a used deck is your best option.

Dec 29, 2005 at 5:04 PM Post #27 of 56
Listening to a PCDP unamped seems counter to me, too. It just confuses the discussion, IMO.

I have awoken from a longgg slumber, last post 3/2002, to come hear in a white flagged quest for the right HD (er, flash) player. The culture here has changed, as expected, and PCDP's now fully seem to be a cult thing. I haven't seen another commuter wielding a CD in what must be more than a year.

Any sage advice, or simply your take, on weighing the fidelity give-up vs the conveinience pick-up would be much appreciated.

Sorry for the slight high-jack. I've searched in the past and mostly found two seperate camps with little characterization of the above.

Chris
Panny 570 PCDP, Super-macro (sometimes JMT), ER-4P/S.

Dec 29, 2005 at 5:46 PM Post #28 of 56
When the D-555 was purchased in 1990, it wasn't used for jogging and only used occasionally in the car as the limitations of movement were/are obvious though it did pretty well in car (avoid speed bumps). When coupled with the BP-100 it was used while programming -- not all computers had optical drives then. Due to the construction of the building, radio reception was dicey. The D-555 was used everyday.

I'm glad to have it.

Paul

Dec 29, 2005 at 7:48 PM Post #29 of 56
UNamped Sony D211 hp out is 10 times the player SQ wise compared to the contemporary (2005) Sony DNE920... I don't have a Stax to prove it, but do not need it neither
smily_headphones1.gif
Filterless MDR888s are used and and the difference is just TOO obvious- so obvious that it is difficult for me to understand how bangraman can not hear it
confused.gif

Maybe when you make the step down from HE90/Stax/Qualia rigs EVERYTHING sounds like crap to your ears... Kinda like after one's driven a Ferarri, Subaru Impreza(Vinatage PCDP analogy) and your average Ford(contemporary DAP) may seem similar...

I am getting an Ipod fairly shortly and I'll compare the four: Ipod Vs DNE920 Vs D211 Vs D303...

Dec 29, 2005 at 9:42 PM Post #30 of 56
For the life of me, if I was travelling I think I could live with the likes of 256 kbps on a quality DAP or, since I am a MiniDisc person, a couple Hi-MD discs filled with Hi-SP would be all I need on my NH1. Yes, quality IEMs are a must (I have the 6i's) and I'd be all set for those long flights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back