Nice article comparing old-school PCDPs
Dec 28, 2005 at 4:56 PM Post #2 of 56
Thank God he saw through the panasonic player, what a pos.

Otherwise, its very interesting. Thanks for the link gs.

EDIT: Although he must be a little deaf to think the D-25 is that great...lol.

Dec 28, 2005 at 4:57 PM Post #3 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin...stportable.htm

D-25 seems to float his boat...

What do you guys think?

It's a pretty leaky boat
evil_smiley.gif

I must admit however that even just visually, this thing is worth owning.

Dec 28, 2005 at 4:57 PM Post #4 of 56
The D-555 floats my boat.
biggrin.gif
Given the issue I had with deteriorating headphone output coupling capacitors any review of the D-555's headphone output would be suspect, in my view, unless it was noted those capacitors were checked/replaced.

Paul

Dec 28, 2005 at 5:07 PM Post #5 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
It's a pretty leaky boat
evil_smiley.gif

I must admit however that even just visually, this thing is worth owning.

I am looking to purchase a D555 pretty soon...is there any other old-school PCDP apart from the Sony brand that I should be looking at?

The D555 does look pretty sweet. I have a D303 but I havent even opened the packag yet...I received the package almost 6 months back!!
eek.gif

Dec 28, 2005 at 5:14 PM Post #6 of 56
gsf,

That is a pretty old article - i believe that was the article that really shot up the d-25/d-25s in popularity and demand, hence the crazy prices that were a result.

Steve Rochlin is a great reviewer with an amazing set of ears, and he's been to at least one head-fi meet as well. He's definitely credible and knows what he's talking about.

Dude, you have a d-303? apparently that is supposed to have one smooth sounding lineout, crack it open my man!

Dec 28, 2005 at 5:19 PM Post #8 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24
Dude, you have a d-303? apparently that is supposed to have one smooth sounding lineout, crack it open my man!

I will...been putting it off for too long. It even has a working battery. I got it free from my Aunt and ONLY because I remembered seeing it in her house in Hong Kong almost 10 years back...fast-forward to the HeadFi era...I saw an article about the D303 and called up my Aunt pronto
smily_headphones1.gif
D303 on it's way to me
wink.gif

I have read Duncan's review, printed it out, stuck it all over my wall. That is my bible
cool.gif

What a wonderful accomplishment - and he still updates it from time to time. He "OWNS" that review

Dec 28, 2005 at 5:21 PM Post #9 of 56
You could always just go for both of course... I can stare at this combo for a while. As for listening, I would rather crank up the contemporary Sony, iRiver, iAudio, Creative or Apple
tongue.gif

both.jpg

Dec 28, 2005 at 5:29 PM Post #12 of 56
Quote:

You could always just go for both of course... I can stare at this combo for a while

How about you stop staring and let me listen to the combo in my house? Wanna talk money?

eggosmile.gif

Dec 28, 2005 at 5:53 PM Post #13 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by D555
(and places it on top of the service manual to boot) Show off....
biggrin.gif

Paul

I knew you'd like that
wink.gif
Deteriorating capacitors aside, presumably you fitted a larger blocking cap to take care of some of the tonal issues at least.

gsferrari, I'm hanging onto these for the time being, firstly because I do like fishing them out once in a while, but also as it really pees off the classic PCDP maniacs no end when I say they don't sound as good
very_evil_smiley.gif

However the practically mint D-555, if it did find a new owner, would arrive boxed, with original instructions, original carry case, a battery that still holds a charge and with a spare optical pickup assembly as well as the general information required to fit it (provided you're suitably qualified). Do feel free to tempt me with a suitably ridiculous offer. Sane offers will be of course rejected.
tongue.gif

Dec 28, 2005 at 6:10 PM Post #14 of 56
Bangraman,

Don't make me break out my camera! I still have the orignal box and manual packed away. Might still even have the box for the RM-DM1K. The BP-100 died years ago.

Larger coupling caps were fitted to my D-555 so my thoughts are somewhat skewed as well. The original 6.3v100ufd were all bad and two were leaking, literally and measurably, (even the one in the power supply) so the opportunity was taken to replace with larger values. SMD caps have increased greatly in quality over the past 15 years.

Admittedly, some don't like the D-555 sound and characterize it as: harsh, brittle, digital, etc. I find it quick, detailed, and powerful -- not harsh at all. I can truly hear fine detail that is obscured in other players. Of the modern PCDP, the D-NE10 is my favorite -- the sound is quite good, in my view (for a 5mw player).

Paul

Dec 28, 2005 at 6:56 PM Post #15 of 56
Quote:

but also as it really pees off the classic PCDP maniacs no end when I say they don't sound as good
very_evil_smiley.gif

I always knew you were a dark and evil person
tongue.gif
j/k

Enough torment...lemme have em!

Quote:

However the practically mint D-555, if it did find a new owner, would arrive boxed, with original instructions, original carry case, a battery that still holds a charge and with a spare optical pickup assembly as well as the general information required to fit it (provided you're suitably qualified). Do feel free to tempt me with a suitably ridiculous offer. Sane offers will be of course rejected.
tongue.gif

Let me see what sort of offer I can muster...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back