Nice amp for 580s? + a stupid question
Jul 25, 2007 at 6:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

narticus

100+ Head-Fier
I've had my 580s for a while now, and I'm in love with them. It's just that my only option right now is to plug them into the headphone jack on my Marantz PM-68 integrated amp. I'm looking for more. Does anyone have a headphone amp that they think fits the 580 nicely? Preferably something in the lower price range, but any suggestions are welcome.

While we're at it, I may purchase a pair of DT 880s soon as well. So if anyone has both of these headphones and an amp that's great for them, please let me know.

And here's the stupid question: How would I wire a headphone amp into my system? I have an Entech 203.2 that both my soundcard (av-710) and my cd changer are running through. The entech is then wired into my amp. Would I just use an RCA out of the amp to RCA in on the headphone amp?

Jul 25, 2007 at 7:52 PM Post #2 of 18
There are no stupid questions.
You could wire the analog output of the Entech into headphone amp for the most direct connection.

If you want to run the Entech output into the Marantz as it is now, you could go through the tape output of the Marantz into the headphone amp.

Jul 25, 2007 at 10:50 PM Post #3 of 18
The Eddie Current Lunch Box does a fine job driving my 580's. Not sure if you'll find any for sale (I may someday, but not any time soon!), but they list new for under $200.

There's a version 2 out, you might even look at that new, or wait until someone sells the v1 to get the v2.

Good luck,

Todd.

EDIT: saw the note about the DT-880's. The Lunch Box doesn't do great with them (at least the 80 ohm version) but I have a 200ohm adapter cable that brings it right up to some fine sound as well.

Jul 28, 2007 at 7:15 AM Post #6 of 18
I have a Firestone Cute Beyond amp I really like. I don't have the 580's yet, but I've read from those who do that this amp brightens them up nicely, adding detail and clarity. This is certainly the case with my HD555's.

The Cute Beyond also has user swappable opamps so you can tune the sound somewhat.

It's $170usd + shipping from www.firestone-audio.com.

Jul 29, 2007 at 5:53 AM Post #7 of 18
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey,

I believe a PPA with the OPA627/637 is one of the best amp combos with my 580's. I rather find that tube amps don't do a good job with the already warm sounding 580's. The PPA adds just the right things that the 580's are missing.

Where would one find a PPA?

Jul 29, 2007 at 11:08 PM Post #8 of 18
You could look in the FS Amp forum here, or commission one of the builders to make one for you. This is a good amp mated with the 580.

Very well done printed circuit boards are available and you may be able to make one yourself if you have some experience with electronics.

http://tangentsoft.net/audio/ppa/

Jul 30, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #10 of 18
I have a Singlepower MPX3 SLAM + Ultimate Power Supply + Automagic Heater Voltage(tm), and the 580s (<1 year old) sound fantastic. My mods to the MPX3 raised the price quite a bit (ca $2k), but I have faith that the base model($995) will sound good, as will the PPX3($685), a lower priced model. One thing to keep in mind with SP amps is how much the designer, Mikhail, supports tube rolling. You can get various adapters to allow the use of many different *kinds* of tubes (not just brands or different versions of the same tube). And voltage mods to accommodate even more tubes. Tube rolling allows you to tailor the sound of your amp to your taste. I cannot overemphasize how much different tubes can change the sound of your amp. Mikhail's amps tend, IMHO, to be very transparent which allows you to hear the sound of the tubes. Other amp builders, of course, are in favor of tube rolling, but not to the extent that Mikhail is. In my case, it turns out that I don't like the sound of the "default" tube for the MPX3, the 6SN7. These can range in price from ~20/ea to > $200/ea. I've settled on tubes that are all < $10, and some ~$6 ea.

Also, you may want to consider a used amp. Head-fiers tend to be a good bunch, so paying the same price for a better used amp can be better than a lesser new amp. Also, the amp makers here seem to all be quite a cut above even most high end companies. So I *think* most will honor a warranty of a sold amp, removing some risk.

I also have an XCANv3 (which is a hybrid, SS->tube, and that is not clear at all from their web site) at work that I used with my 580s before my SP was built. That drove them well. Or so I thought until I heard my SP ;-> I've heard, and definitely believe, the upgraded PS will help. As Mikhail says, an amp is basically a modulated power supply. I've been amazed in the past how much a PS upgrade could help. I had a 10 gauge wire run from my breaker box to my stereo in my old house and the was one heck of an upgrade. ~ $200 if I recall.

All, IMHO, of course.

-=A=-

Jul 30, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by narticus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much would it cost to commission someone? I have absolutely no experience with electronics.

Depends on the build. I would send MisterX a private message. He could give you a quote and help you out on what is good to put in a DIY amp. The PPA is one of the best headphone amps for the 580 (with the OPA627/637 configuration of opamps).

Jul 30, 2007 at 3:56 AM Post #12 of 18
Could someone give me a ballpark figure on the PPA w/OPA627/637? I'm thinking my price-range will be around $250-$350. I wouldn't want to bother MisterX with a quote if it's going to be way above that.

Aug 2, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by narticus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could someone give me a ballpark figure on the PPA w/OPA627/637? I'm thinking my price-range will be around $250-$350. I wouldn't want to bother MisterX with a quote if it's going to be way above that.

It's possible to find a very nicely done PPAv2 with OPA637/OPA627 within your pricerange, but remember you need a good power supply as well. I would recommend the STEPS. Both together will still fall within your pricerange. In fact, I have one
smily_headphones1.gif
I was working out some issues with the OPA637/OPA627 driving low impedance loads - 32Ohm Grados, it doesn't do well, but with my HD650's, it's the best amp I've heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back