NHL Playoffs Thread
May 4, 2006 at 5:35 AM Post #32 of 234
San Jose Success depends on Joe Thronton. he has never proved himself during the playoffs.

If he can find his game then the oilers will have their hands full. If he doesn't step up then the oilers have as good as chance as any.

May 4, 2006 at 11:11 AM Post #33 of 234
No love for my Sabres eh? Oh well...

Buffalo in 5
Carolina in 7
Oilers in 5
Ducks in 7
I'll probably be just as wrong as everyone else here with those guesses...It is weird though, that all 4 top seeds in the West get smoked, but they make it through in the East
confused.gif

May 4, 2006 at 2:01 PM Post #34 of 234
Quote:

Originally Posted by NacMacFeegle
Buffalo in 5

Oilers in 5

I would be shocked if that panned out. Nothing is impossible I guess, but I can't see Ottawa only winning one game, same for San Jose.

May 4, 2006 at 6:45 PM Post #35 of 234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeless
I would be shocked if that panned out. Nothing is impossible I guess, but I can't see Ottawa only winning one game, same for San Jose.

Aye..me too...But Hasek won't be in net for the Sens., and I just think the Oilers want it more...Nashville were tripped when Vokoun went down, and the Lightning were a shadow of the team that won it all...
I guess I'll just live in hope.

May 5, 2006 at 12:07 AM Post #37 of 234
Either Colorado (Sergei Samsonov) or San Jose (Joe Thornton) will win the cup.

Why?

Because anyone of good talent that the moronic Bruins trade away go on to win a cup
rolleyes.gif

In all seriousness, it WAS a bizarre East/West thing with the top 4 and bottom 4 seeds. As far as San Jose goes, Thornton didn't do a ton, the opponents tried hard to shut him down. And yes, he may have "coasted" a bit. But Marleau turned it up big time. That team has some good depth.

In the end, though, I think it will be New Jersey to go all the way. Calling the West champion is tougher. I'd love to see San Jose go, just so Joe can flip the proverbial bird to the Bruins ownership and management.

The games have been pretty fun to watch, despite the tons of penalties. Not having your team in (once you get over it) allows you to enjoy the game for it being hockey.

May 5, 2006 at 12:18 AM Post #38 of 234
It always suprised me why the Bruins traded away Thornton. I understand they were having a clearout and rebuilding but to trade away the player who suppose to be the current franchise player was suicidal.

I mean he proved his worth by leading the regular season points leaders but I would be more interested for him to shake his playoff duck. Or maybe that's what San Jose are doing running Thornton around so opposing teams defense concentrate on him leaving people like Marleau to have an easier time.

I would personally like to see Thornton to step up like a Federov, a Trottier, a Lafleur come playoff time.

It is possible he could win the cup, but nothing so far has convinced me i would want him in the team come playoff time.

May 5, 2006 at 3:43 AM Post #40 of 234
Quote:

Originally Posted by mb3k
I'm so bummed that the Flames lost.
At least I got to go to a couple games.

I really wanted the Flames to win the Stanly Cup, since the Canucks were out. No offense to all the Ducks fans........but come on, Calgary should of easily beat them.

May 5, 2006 at 3:53 AM Post #41 of 234
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2426
I really wanted the Flames to win the Stanly Cup, since the Canucks were out. No offense to all the Ducks fans........but come on, Calgary should of easily beat them.

Not necessarily, the Flames are a really hard working team, but the load falls most heavily on two players who I shouldn't have to name. Kipper did a good job, but when Calgary can't put the puck in the net...there goes the good goalie performance. The ducks came into their own as a good team, they finished well in the west and have a solid lineup who, as a Canucks fan, can say was put together by the best GM in the league in Brian Burke. Not to mention that Teemu Selane has become his old self again, the new NHL was really good for him...

May 6, 2006 at 12:07 PM Post #42 of 234
Wow!!! What a game last night...I suspect I'll be a total basket case by the end of this series...Now I don't know if you'd call this 'pure' playoff hockey (me being a Brit an all), but it sure kept me on the edge of my seat. Defence? What defence?
tongue.gif
I feel for those guys back there...they need eyes in the back of their heads to even hope to keep up with the swarming attacks...
Awesome, just awesome
biggrin.gif

And just look at what those Ducks did too...

May 9, 2006 at 12:58 PM Post #44 of 234
nah I'm still watching...man, I guess I never gave Buffalo enough credit. I knew they were a good team, and I still think Ottawa should have won game one. The sabres have had the goaltending to keep the sens at bay.

but enough about that...what about that Devils/Canes game last night? Devils score a go ahead goal with 21 seconds left and the Canes tie it with 3 seconds left!? lol...that was awesome.

These pleyoffs have been weird though, especially goaltending. The Ducks are looking unbeatable right now and should San Jose make it though (I'd like the Oilers to, but hey...) it would be a good series with Anaheim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back