NHL Playoffs Thread
May 2, 2006 at 6:42 PM Post #16 of 234
There are three things that have really crippled the Flyers this season: (1) injuries, (2) inexperienced and slow defense, and (3) special teams play.

The injury problem is self-evident if you look at the number of man-games that the Flyers lost this season. It's really somewhat surprising that they managed to stay as competitive as they did. Most significant to the Flyers' chances in the playoffs is the loss of Keith Primeau and the leadership he brings to the team. He has almost single-handedly revived the Flyers when they behind in playoff series in recent years.

The Flyers defense is not well-suited for today's NHL. Injuries play a factor here, too, as the Flyers really miss Kim Johnnson for his ability to move the puck on defense. I'm so tired of seeing Eric Desjardin take a pass and spend about 3 seconds turning his entire body before he finally releases the shot. (On the bright side, at least injuries have prevented us from having to watch Chris "Bundy" Therien, who has perhaps the slowest release in the history of the National Hockey League.)

With respect to special teams, the Flyers are an enigma. They have guys who should be able to put the puck in the net. Yet they have a power play system that hasn't changed one bit since the beginning of the season, even though it hasn't been effective since about the third week of the season. (Note: moving Sami Kapanen to the point is NOT a change in the power play system.) It relies on Forsberg or Nedved to quarterback the power play from the half boards. They try to cycle the puck from the half boards to collapse the defense and then either work the puck to the point for a quick shot (which doesn't work, see point number 1 above) or try for a cross ice pass. They have no presence in the slot on the power play, and so while they often dominate in attack zone time, they generate far too few quality scoring chances. Their penalty kill, on the other hand, is the most passive that I can ever remember seeing it.

This Flyers team has some talent, and a really strong, young core, but they just don't have all of the pieces in place to compete this year. That said, I think that they will come out strong tonight at home. However, assuming that they force a game 7 in Buffalo, I haven't seen much so far that would lead me to believe that the Flyers can win that game.

May 2, 2006 at 9:49 PM Post #17 of 234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs
There are three things that have really crippled the Flyers this season: (1) injuries, (2) inexperienced and slow defense, and (3) special teams play.

The injury problem is self-evident if you look at the number of man-games that the Flyers lost this season. It's really somewhat surprising that they managed to stay as competitive as they did. Most significant to the Flyers' chances in the playoffs is the loss of Keith Primeau and the leadership he brings to the team. He has almost single-handedly revived the Flyers when they behind in playoff series in recent years.

The Flyers defense is not well-suited for today's NHL. Injuries play a factor here, too, as the Flyers really miss Kim Johnnson for his ability to move the puck on defense. I'm so tired of seeing Eric Desjardin take a pass and spend about 3 seconds turning his entire body before he finally releases the shot. (On the bright side, at least injuries have prevented us from having to watch Chris "Bundy" Therien, who has perhaps the slowest release in the history of the National Hockey League.)

With respect to special teams, the Flyers are an enigma. They have guys who should be able to put the puck in the net. Yet they have a power play system that hasn't changed one bit since the beginning of the season, even though it hasn't been effective since about the third week of the season. (Note: moving Sami Kapanen to the point is NOT a change in the power play system.) It relies on Forsberg or Nedved to quarterback the power play from the half boards. They try to cycle the puck from the half boards to collapse the defense and then either work the puck to the point for a quick shot (which doesn't work, see point number 1 above) or try for a cross ice pass. They have no presence in the slot on the power play, and so while they often dominate in attack zone time, they generate far too few quality scoring chances. Their penalty kill, on the other hand, is the most passive that I can ever remember seeing it.

This Flyers team has some talent, and a really strong, young core, but they just don't have all of the pieces in place to compete this year. That said, I think that they will come out strong tonight at home. However, assuming that they force a game 7 in Buffalo, I haven't seen much so far that would lead me to believe that the Flyers can win that game.

Febs...What a magic post...Clear and well thought out. Nice one...Good luck tonight, but I can't see your guys holding us back.
Mind you look at who's left: Ottawa or the Devils, and probably Carolina...Boy I REALLY love the play-offs..

May 2, 2006 at 10:43 PM Post #18 of 234
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueCan
Legace's going to take the heat for it much like Osgood did when the Sharks beat the Wings in the first round in '94 in 7.
-Patrick

Ah, but remember....Ozzie won a Cup for us later on.

May 2, 2006 at 10:52 PM Post #19 of 234
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3DCadman
Ah, but remember....Ozzie won a Cup for us later on.

Just like Legace didn't lose this series, Ozzie didn't win the '98 cup on his own. That TEAM was on a mission.
smily_headphones1.gif

-Patrick

May 2, 2006 at 11:07 PM Post #21 of 234
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueCan
Just like Legace didn't lose this series, Ozzie didn't win the '98 cup on his own. That TEAM was on a mission.
smily_headphones1.gif

-Patrick

Good point.

May 2, 2006 at 11:10 PM Post #22 of 234
[size=small][size=medium]All hope is not lost for Yzerman's return![/size][/size]

Here's an interesting Yzerman quote from today's Detroit Free Press website:

""Yeah, you know, it was a fun game to play in," he said. "Obviously the result was disappointing, but to come in the building the way it was, it's just really exciting. The more times you're in these situations, the more you come to enjoy it.

"So, yeah, I don't know that I'm ever going to want to not play the game. I mean, I really, really enjoy it. I'll make a decision pretty soon."

Yzerman said he already knew his decision. Teammates are rooting to see him back in uniform."

LINK: http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...605020420/1053

May 3, 2006 at 12:15 AM Post #24 of 234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs
This Flyers team has some talent, and a really strong, young core, but they just don't have all of the pieces in place to compete this year. That said, I think that they will come out strong tonight at home.

Apparently, I was mistaken.

May 3, 2006 at 12:25 AM Post #25 of 234
I would like to see Yzerman move ahead of Howe and Messier in the all time list. That would make me really happy.

Don;t get me wrong Howe and Messier were amazing players and are still regarded as some of the best to play the game.

My Reason for wanting Yzerman to pip those two because for a lot of years he played with a team who were never going to make the playoffs early in his career. But he kept putting up the numbers and played like he thought they were going to make it. That for me is enough.

And the fact he just moved past Bryan Trottier on the all time play off points list is really sweet.

May 4, 2006 at 3:44 AM Post #28 of 234
Well, Calgary's done
mad.gif

It's kind of weird, the top four seeds from the East all went through, and the bottom four seeds from the West went through. Ok, I'm gonna say Ottawa over Buffalo in 6 games, and New Jersey over Carolina in 7 in the East. In the West, I'd say San Jose over Edmonton in 6 and Colorado over Anaheim in 6. But, I'll probably be way off. I really think it'll be Ottawa and San Jose in the Finals.

May 4, 2006 at 4:15 AM Post #29 of 234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeless
Ottawa over Buffalo in 6 games, and New Jersey over Carolina in 7 in the East. In the West, I'd say San Jose over Edmonton in 6 and Colorado over Anaheim in 6. But, I'll probably be way off. I really think it'll be Ottawa and San Jose in the Finals.

Ottawa in 6
Carolina in 6
Edmonton in 7 - GO OILERS!
Colorado in 5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back