NF Audio impression thread.
Aug 4, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #211 of 1,292
I am looking foward to see what they did with the NM2+ that aluminum housing from past experiences aluminum housing will add a bit of sweetness to the sound in the form of treble coloration. Seems they are going for a more musical take on the NM2 tuning. They might add a better cable in the mix as well. Will see about getting a set when it goes live.

Aug 5, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #212 of 1,292
Damn! These NM2 are nice, I was afraid they were going to sound dry, owing to them being mentioned as "reference" sounding, but fortunately that's not the case at all. Well tempted to get the NA1 too now.

How nice though? I see you have the KXXS (which probably is gathering dust lol) but would you take the NM2 over the KXXS? I'm looking for something similar with similar or improved bass and good vocals and so far I'm on the fence between the NM2 and IT00, but leaning towards the NM2 due to the design and 2-Pin socket.

Aug 5, 2020 at 11:14 PM Post #214 of 1,292
I tried the NF3u and found the treble too much for my ears. Are the NA1, NA2, NM2 like that as well?
NA2 is the one that has more bass, and isn’t as neutral-ish. I don't find the upper mids or treble to be harsh at all. It’s a very pleasant and smooth sounding, yet very detailed IEM.

Aug 6, 2020 at 4:47 AM Post #216 of 1,292
How nice though? I see you have the KXXS (which probably is gathering dust lol) but would you take the NM2 over the KXXS? I'm looking for something similar with similar or improved bass and good vocals and so far I'm on the fence between the NM2 and IT00, but leaning towards the NM2 due to the design and 2-Pin socket.

NM2 has only a moderate amount of bass, it's not anemic however but if you want more warmth/bass then the IT00 and, presumably as I don't have them, the NA2 would be a better choice (you probably knew that already, right?).

KxxS has probably more bass than the NM2 but I haven't listened to them in a while. I would think the NM2 are probably better sounding though and they shouldn't disappoint, what I don't really like is their cheap, generic and fragile feeling plastic shells.

Aug 6, 2020 at 5:19 AM Post #217 of 1,292
I think NM2 has a lot of serious deep bass and sometimes it rattles my brain. What am I doing wrong? I love bass and I wouldn't even touch any IEM with a weak bass no matter how poetic was a review for them. It's well separated but powerful at the same time. I also came back to the stock cable in the end. Felt like I pulled my head out of muddy swamp after that hibiscus cable.

Aug 6, 2020 at 6:50 AM Post #218 of 1,292
NM2 has only a moderate amount of bass, it's not anemic however but if you want more warmth/bass then the IT00 and, presumably as I don't have them, the NA2 would be a better choice (you probably knew that already, right?).

KxxS has probably more bass than the NM2 but I haven't listened to them in a while. I would think the NM2 are probably better sounding though and they shouldn't disappoint, what I don't really like is their cheap, generic and fragile feeling plastic shells.
I know you have sooo many IEMs that it’s hard to remember them all, but I’m curious about your impressions of the NM2 compared to the FD01, and perhaps also the Tanchjim Oxygen?

Aug 6, 2020 at 7:41 AM Post #219 of 1,292
I know you have sooo many IEMs that it’s hard to remember them all, but I’m curious about your impressions of the NM2 compared to the FD01, and perhaps also the Tanchjim Oxygen?

I don't really like the FD01/FDX1, I've nicknamed them the masters of illusion in the sense that they have great clarity and cleanness and pass for the most transparent in their price range when in fact I've found them to fail quite abysmally retrieving layers of details in dense/complex music, it's just not there, can't be heard at all yet they sound pristinely clear. I have not found such an issue with the NM2 and as such they are superior to the JVCs to me but then many others are too in my book.

I haven't listened to the Oxygen in quite a while but as I got the Hana yesterday I'm probably going to pull them out in the coming days ( that is if the Lucifer doesn't arrive and change my plans). From memory I would say the NM2 might be more lively/engaging and at least as technical if not more.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #220 of 1,292
I think NM2 has a lot of serious deep bass and sometimes it rattles my brain. What am I doing wrong? I love bass and I wouldn't even touch any IEM with a weak bass no matter how poetic was a review for them. It's well separated but powerful at the same time. I also came back to the stock cable in the end. Felt like I pulled my head out of muddy swamp after that hibiscus cable.

The NM2 is very sensitive and I test out my stuff with players, phone, minidisc, radio, etc. Any kind of output to gauge the behavior. It can have plenty of bass and reflect different signatures. I didn't like the ISN GC4 cable on it with my gear since there was too much midbass. I went back to the stock cable. I have no trouble seeing it have a bad pairing with the Hibiscus cable. The impedance of the cable or perhaps it doesn't have the best solder job. The NM2 can show it. Might not be anything off with the cable. My GC4 paired with my Sonata is my flagship and everything is there and resolved and effortless. NM2 and GC4 don't match the same way even if it really ups the NM2's performance and ability. You are doing nothing wrong in either case of worse than optimal synergy or sub par cable.

Also, if someone wants my smoke color NM2 let me know. Tried them but don't need them anymore as the Sonata owns my GC4 and the best sound now, I updated my Elecom, and my Azla all push the NM2 out. Was gonna maybe use them with the BT20S Pro when it comes out but I may just go with the Cleer Arc form factor and speaker style instead of TWS adapters.

Aug 25, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #222 of 1,292
I don't really like the FD01/FDX1, I've nicknamed them the masters of illusion in the sense that they have great clarity and cleanness and pass for the most transparent in their price range when in fact I've found them to fail quite abysmally retrieving layers of details in dense/complex music, it's just not there, can't be heard at all yet they sound pristinely clear. I have not found such an issue with the NM2 and as such they are superior to the JVCs to me but then many others are too in my book.

I haven't listened to the Oxygen in quite a while but as I got the Hana yesterday I'm probably going to pull them out in the coming days ( that is if the Lucifer doesn't arrive and change my plans). From memory I would say the NM2 might be more lively/engaging and at least as technical if not more.

I love the fdx1 but my issue with them is a slightly thinner sound and the stage is a but small for my ears which can give that cramped, lack of air type of sound when compared to most of my other iems. Otherwise they are an A+ with an absolute crystal clear sound and great technicalities. Now that the nm2+ has been announced I am very interested in them but since you also have the nm2 and Hana it would be very interesting in comparing them to your favourites the ybf and see which one takes the crown.

Sep 1, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #223 of 1,292
anyone who have tried both na1 & hana can give me a comparison? im really liking my hana, but quite curious with na1

even my nm2 isnt really fit for my preference (feel too stiff) , but the overall quality of nm2 makes me a fan of nfaudio :D

Sep 1, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #225 of 1,292
NM2+ just came out. https://penonaudio.com/nf-audio-nm2-plus.html This is one to look out for. I will be getting a set. Will report once I get em.

Definitely looking to pick this one up after holding back on the NM2 due to the news of the NM2+ after just picking up a Moondrop SSR. Frequency response chart checks out nice for studio monitoring. I'll be looking forward to hear your thoughts on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back