Nexus 5 Sound Quality?
Nov 27, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #76 of 228
  Out of curiosity, what's behind the apparently persistent low volume of Nexus devices? I could barely watch Netflix on my Nexus 7 when in public--couldn't hear dialogue.

I swore off Google products after my experience with the 7, but the 5 is so attractive as hardware. This is real minimalism. It makes the iProducts seem frou-frou.

why didn't you like the nexus 7?  i just got it myself, and its probably the best tablet i've owned regardless of value.

Nov 29, 2013 at 4:12 AM Post #78 of 228
slightly off topic....

but in the picture (post 62) can anybody advise if the circular battery icon is available for the nexus 5

if so, how and where do i get it?

thanks

Nov 29, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #81 of 228
How does Nexus 5 compare with the original Galaxy S with voodoo?
Also, does Nexus 5's Bluetooth support Apt-x?

Dec 13, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #84 of 228
  http://www.anandtech.com/show/7567/smartphone-audio-quality-testing/

some nexus 5 measurements

Unfortunately these tests confirm what I've observed with my Nexus 5 over the past month.  Using RE-0 headphones (64 ohm, 100db/mW) I have to max out the volume most of the time.  I can't detect signal clipping per se, but I can tell that it doesn't sound quite right with the volume control that high.

My stopgap solution has been to keep the volume control three clicks down from max (as recommended in the anandtech article) and use a Fiio E6 inline portable amplifier.  It's certainly not ideal, but it's cheap and gets the job done.

I haven't gone through this thread to check, but my suspicion is that those who are happy with the audio quality on the Nexus 5 might be those with lower impedance and higher sensitivity headphones.  Those with headphones that are tougher to drive have been less impressed.

So, since no USB DACs are currently working, the solutions are to mod the phone with a kernel that uses FauxSound or similar control of the amplifier, or to use an external amplifier, or to choose easier-to-drive headphones. 

Dec 13, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #85 of 228
  So, since no USB DACs are currently working, the solutions are to mod the phone with a kernel that uses FauxSound or similar control of the amplifier, or to use an external amplifier, or to choose easier-to-drive headphones. 

I agree. It'd be great to see before/after kernel modding to see how the measurements compare.

Dec 13, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #86 of 228

Unfortunately these tests confirm what I've observed with my Nexus 5 over the past month.  Using RE-0 headphones (64 ohm, 100db/mW) I have to max out the volume most of the time.  I can't detect signal clipping per se, but I can tell that it doesn't sound quite right with the volume control that high.

Sounds about the same as my results with LG G2. Distortion was noticeable at high end of volume scale. 

Dec 13, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #88 of 228

FYI -- Supercurio comments on the Anandtech article:

https://plus.google.com/109625418534467664286/posts/Gfvz8kWyMoQ

Good to see that it caught his eye.  His VoodooSound driver on my old Nexus S (Wolfson DAC) was really something special.  I've been following him lately since he does seem to be a Nexus 5 fan, but unfortunately these days he seems more interested in camera performance, displays, and color calibration rather than audio so I'm not holding my breath on an audio solution from rim.

Dec 13, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #89 of 228

I haven't gone through this thread to check, but my suspicion is that those who are happy with the audio quality on the Nexus 5 might be those with lower impedance and higher sensitivity headphones.  Those with headphones that are tougher to drive have been less impressed.

I would have to agree with your assumption as ....I am one of those who was thoroughly impressed as I am using SE535s. They have low impedance and high sensitivity....my Brother's HTC One while having more headphone output - has a very audible hiss with my SE535s.Enough so that I would use my iBasso D-Zero with those or my Samsung Note 2 with the D-zero to have a cleaner background. But with the Nexus 5 it was a silent background from the get go.

Since the SE535s are easy to drive I did not need further amplification to get decent listening levels as the stock+ (faux kernel+faux sound or sound mods do more then enough to get loud sound from both the Speakerphone and the headphone out) has excess for my normal listening levels but covers the gap from poorly recorded on-line content.(Hulu Plus seems to have varying sound levels - some too low, which is fixed by the increased headphone volume)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back