Nexus 5 Sound Quality?
Nov 15, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #46 of 228
Has anyone compared this with an iPhone 4S so far?  Also, what's the preferred music player on these phones - do you use stock google play music app?  Currently an iPhone user and looking at Android options that are in the same ball park.

Anil

Nov 16, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #48 of 228

Has anyone compared this with an iPhone 4S so far?  Also, what's the preferred music player on these phones - do you use stock google play music app?  Currently an iPhone user and looking at Android options that are in the same ball park.

Anil

Good luck, I've been trying to find an android that doesn't hiss with high sensitivity IEM's for years. They are usually riddled with higher output impedance and hissing that I cannot get past for the life of me. The Galaxy S3 was horribly hissy (yes radios were off, etc).

Nov 16, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #49 of 228

Anil

I cannot compare thee ultimate sound quality differences but the Nexus 5 as stated many times has zero hiss and is very detailed. This is coming from 16 ohm and 32 ohm CIEMS
Good luck, I've been trying to find an android that doesn't hiss with high sensitivity IEM's for years. They are usually riddled with higher output impedance and hissing that I cannot get past for the life of me. The Galaxy S3 was horribly hissy (yes radios were off, etc).

This is not the S3 no hiss with low impedence ciems and I believe the output impedance on the nexus 5 is as low or lower than the iPhone as stated by someone else.

Please read before posting. Not speaking of general sq just hiss.

Also synergy comes into play with sound signature preferences.

Nov 16, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #50 of 228
I cannot compare thee ultimate sound quality differences but the Nexus 5 as stated many times has zero hiss and is very detailed. This is coming from 16 ohm and 32 ohm CIEMS
This is not the S3 no hiss with low impedence ciems and I believe the output impedance on the nexus 5 is as low or lower than the iPhone as stated by someone else.

Please read before posting. Not speaking of general sq just hiss.

Also synergy comes into play with sound signature preferences.

Synergy? With a phone? Are you serious? It's simple electronics.
The fact you stated the impedance and not the sensitivity of the CIEMS shows possible inexperience with this.
Nexus 5 has above average SNR, and can guarantee 110% that it will hiss more than an iphone 4/4s.

I've owned the S3, either your ears or tired or you listen to music really loud with very few quiet passages. I've tried multiple high sensitivity IEMs and exchanged the S3 multiple times. All with hiss.

Please read before posting? I would count hiss as a part of "sq" as I find the S3 and HTC One unbearable to listen to.

Nov 16, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #51 of 228
The fact you stated the impedance and not the sensitivity of the CIEMS shows possible inexperience with this.
Nexus 5 has above average SNR, and can guarantee 110% that it will hiss more than an iphone 4/4s.

I've owned the S3, either your ears or tired or you listen to music really loud with very few quiet passages. I've tried multiple high sensitivity IEMs and exchanged the S3 multiple times. All with hiss.

Please read before posting? I would count hiss as a part of "sq" as I find the S3 and HTC One unbearable to listen to.

I have had the s3 it is horrible note 2 is horrible nexus 5 is great this thread is about the nexus 5 sq not other phones.
Ine/us 5 is very very quiet no his at any volume in quiet passages!It does not have the highest gain but I do not listen to my music loudly.

This is not the S3 no hiss

As in s3 has hiss nexus 5 does not.

We must have a misunderstanding because I am not co tradicting your point on the s3 just saying the nexus 5 is very good sounding. Yes synergy counts in a phone, the nexus 5 is brighter to my ears note 2 warmer and iPhone closer to bright between those 2. That means my warm 8.A match well with the Nexus 5 sound signature. That is synergy. My rendition 1 amp from nexus 5 ads more dynamics and better soundstage over straight from nexus. But the nexus is black silent where the rendition 1 has a slight hiss. The rendition 1's hiss though is far less than the s3. Nexus 5 silent as can be.

I do not know the sensitivity rating but my ears with this actually phone and sensitive ciems say it is silent and so do all others who have a nexus 5 and are posting here.

Do you have a nexus 5?

Edit:
Sorry for typos on mobile.
Not trying to argue , but don't want people thinking this sounds like those other android phones because it does not.

Nov 16, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #52 of 228
Does hissing and white noise relate to the same thing ? If so there is none on the nexus 5, period. I had a wolfson gs3 and i think its reputation regarding sound quality is overrated, Nexus 5 kills it, no white noise at all.

Are the sennheiser IE8 sensitive enough ?

Nov 17, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #53 of 228

I am confused by your posts....in the first post you are saying Android phones are riddled with High Impedance thus resulting in Hiss.....BUT in the latter post you are attacking someone for suggesting that Impedance can be factored in correlation to hiss.

The Nexus 5 has no hiss with my Shire SE535 with a DHC Symbitoe SE Hybrid cable (SPC) and I think SE535's count as being sensitive and prone to Hiss from most source devices

Nov 18, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #55 of 228
Does anyone know the preamp function on Neutron Music Player? If I turn this preamp on, does this mean that the Nexus 5 phone out is a digital out now? So this digital out can be used with my amp??

Thanks!!

Nov 18, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #56 of 228
  Does anyone know the preamp function on Neutron Music Player? If I turn this preamp on, does this mean that the Nexus 5 phone out is a digital out now? So this digital out can be used with my amp??

Thanks!!

You need to buy an Android OTG cable which you can connect to most DACs if you intend to pass the audio through digital means to your stereo. The preamp function with Neutron is a digital gain that you can apply to files that aren't already mastered, like quiet voice recordings (ie, recorded calls). Do not push it above 0 with most music as it will only create additional clipping.

Hi,
How does one make Google Play Music detect my on device mp3 files? I have them in /sdcard/Music but Google Play Music doesn't detect them. I've tried rebooting too.

You need to download (on your pc/mac) the Google Music Manager and upload your files from there into Google Music. FYI, Google will transcode a lot of your music to 320kbps if the ID3 tags don't match up perfectly. Not a big deal if all your music is ALAC/FLAC but it sucks if you have any lossy files.

Nov 18, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #57 of 228
Interesting discussion - I didn't realize hiss was a problem with some of the Android devices.  A couple more (possibly dumb) questions:

1.  Is it possible to play back lossless formats like FLAC?  How about hi-rez (24/192)?  On iPhone, the stock player can play lossless (ALAC) but not hi-rez, so I'm curious about the capabilities of the Android stock player.
2.  Can you use an OTG cable to connect to a USB dac (and use it in async mode)?

Anil

Nov 19, 2013 at 6:30 AM Post #60 of 228
Would like to hear some thoutghs about connecting an external DAC to the nexus 5.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I haven't received mine yet, but all Nexus devices should support USB OTG and that means that any DAC that worked before (there should be a thread somewhere around here with the ones that worked) should work with the Nexus 5. I'll try and confirm this when mine comes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back