Next Upgrade
Jan 16, 2018 at 11:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

paecificjr

New Head-Fier
So, I have a job right now where I have my own office and was pondering the thought of some new headphones and maybe a dac/amp.

Currently, I have a pair of Beyerdynamic DT990's (600 ohm) paired with a Little Dot MKIII. I really enjoy the sound of this. I feel that the tubes help tame the sharp highs of my DT990's and give my music a nice smooth tone.

Since I will be in my own office I don't necessarily need closed back headphones, and I could use them at home as well. I need to be able to wear them comfortably for a long time. I typically will work 8 - 9 hour days with a minuscule lunch break. I have heard stories of how much better a planar pair would be, but I haven't ever tried any, so I don't know how much better.

In case you care, I will primarily use these headphones for listening to my favorite collections of odd metal and rock with the occasional rap and pop. Occasionally, my friend will ask me to master his guitar recording and I could use these for that. I also game and watch Youtube, but I'm assuming a pair of headphones that sound good in music will sound fine for those applications.

Thanks for your suggestions and time!

Jan 17, 2018 at 5:36 PM Post #2 of 4
I would look into the DT 1990 Pro(if you don't mind more clamp) or the Amiron Home, both will be direct upgrades over the DT 990. Honestly planars aren't any better, more different than anything.

Jan 17, 2018 at 11:27 PM Post #3 of 4
I would look into the DT 1990 Pro(if you don't mind more clamp) or the Amiron Home, both will be direct upgrades over the DT 990. Honestly planars aren't any better, more different than anything.

What would you recommend as an amp? And what would you say that the difference is in these headphones, from each other and the 990's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back