Next step up overall from Audio Technica ATH M50's?
Feb 13, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #18 of 45

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by olor1n link
I've owned the M50 and am considering buying it again for times I'm away from my amp and dac. I obviously rate the M50 highly and recommend it where appropriate, but the way it's put on a pedestal, particularly by newer members who haven't heard anything else, is a bit much imo.
The M50 may be damned good at what it does (especially in the $150 or less tier), but I'm sure there'd be Beyers, Denons, Grados/Alessandros, Sennheisers etc in the price bracket above that'd make you quickly forget the M50.

Yes, but what I am asking, is which headphones of those are the ones that make you forget about the M50's.

Do you only read M50 threads? Head-Fiers listen to and appreciate other cans you know? Look on the first page, there are discussions about other headphones. Of the highly regarded ones in the price range you're looking at there's the D2000, DT880, HD600/650 to name a few.

To draw on my own experience and to answer your question, the HD650 blows the M50 out of the water in all aspects in your original post (yes, even without a dedicated amp imo). I didn't want to state this initially as I feel it's an unfair comparison and the HD650 is a different beast, but if you must grade headphones in such a manner the HD650 has my overwhelming preference.

The M50 is not some sort of untouchable benchmark that can only be "bested" by the high enders. To me the "best" can in the $150 or under bracket is the MS-1i. It largely gets overlooked around these parts because of the M50 pedestal. I'm sure there are other gems that also don't get a look in. What a shame.

I don't read only M50 threads, thanks very much. it's just that, it seems that, even with the "Noobs always recommending it" problem, they are quite popular. I was simply wondering if, unamped, there was anything that quite a few people agreed on, like people agree with the M50's. 

I can understand that there are quite a lot of variables when it comes to both the listeners and the headphones themselves, but, I wanted to see if it was possible to find something that, again, was agreed on as being a better value for higher quality sound (compared to the M50's.)

I could have easily have asked this question about 840's, 750DJ's, or even Beats, as I have tried them all. But I understand that it's probably a very hard question to answer considering how much listening and audio quality differs depending on the setup and the person using it. 

Apologies if I annoyed anyone..

Feb 13, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #20 of 45
Feb 14, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #22 of 45
Hi Guys,

I own (or have owned) the SR60i, SR80i, SR325is, MS1, ES7, K501, K601, DT440, T50RP, DJ1, RE0, PL50

AND

the most balanced and enjoyable-with-most-genres cans I own are the AD900s. Grados are better for in-yer-face rock, IMO, but for non-fatiguing listening I'm afraid I have to nominate the ATs. Please read the disclaimers in my sig, and trust your own ears over my scuttlebutt.

Thanks for your time.

Rick James

Feb 14, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #23 of 45
You might want to look at the AH-D2000 or D5000. They would certainly satisfy many (if not all) of the items in your 'need' list.

Feb 14, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #24 of 45

Quote:
Quote:
650 can't beat m50 unamp. I am sure of that. 

Quote:
I don't have hd650. too expensive. 
Quote:
Quote:
dude, plug your hd650 into your laptop , and see if your laptop can drive it. 

I'll ask again. Do you even own the HD650 or M50?

Then ****. Thanks.

Do you post only to give yourself more chances to be a dick to people? I'm not defending him at all but you're climbing the doucheometer with honors

Feb 14, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #26 of 45
i will admit that was a little mean. he is new to head-fi and probably hasn't tried the hd650s. i haven't but i will take your word for it as you guys know what your talking about while i am still a noob.
biggrin.gif

Feb 14, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #27 of 45

Quote:
i will admit that was a little mean. he is new to head-fi and probably hasn't tried the hd650s. i haven't but i will take your word for it as you guys know what your talking about while i am still a noob.
biggrin.gif

Mean? Not really. He gave his opinion without knowledge. He got called out on it and thats how the cookie crumbled. New to head-fi? You've been here for 2.5months. We'll say thats 80days. 80days & nearly 600posts? Overkill fashoooo

Feb 14, 2011 at 1:59 AM Post #28 of 45
Beyer dt250 80ohm version. That may be within your budget and should be a nice step up. I liked that phone a lot, but as I didn't need closed I decided to stay with the akg k240DF which I like even more. those need an amp though

Feb 14, 2011 at 3:36 AM Post #29 of 45

Quote:
Mean? Not really. He gave his opinion without knowledge. He got called out on it and thats how the cookie crumbled. New to head-fi? You've been here for 2.5months. We'll say thats 80days. 80days & nearly 600posts? Overkill fashoooo

+1

Guys, its one thing to be gaga over your latest purchase and another to recommend something you havent even heard. Its an easy trap to fall into, but if you are going to do it at least acknowledge it with 'FWIR' or similar - its confusing enough for newbies to wade through recommendations without having to wonder if the HFier giving the recommendation has even heard the cans/amp/whatever he is recommending.

As always, YMMV - if you have a viewpoint that says you want to hear 'blind' recommendations based purely on hearsay, please feel free to say so.

Feb 14, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #30 of 45

so I spend my time here. There is nothing wrong with that I am allowed to. Nothing says I can only go on every so often. Also I wasn't referring to telling him he is wrong as the mean thing. The way you said **** seemed a little harsh to me. I posted in that comment that I believed you in that it could run without an amp. I haven't tried them. And you guys know what your talking about. And I will continue to come on here if I want. And for your information I haven't been posting all that much in the last while mostly just reading posts. I only post when I see somethng that peaks my interest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back