Next step up overall from Audio Technica ATH M50's?
Feb 12, 2011 at 11:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

BRSxIgnition

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm pretty sure this has been asked before, but with a price limit of $300 (Give $50 for extremely good matches)....

Are there any around-ear (circumaural) headphones which are a noticeable step up from the Audio Technica ATH M50's in the following areas?

1. Bass Punch/Kick
  2. Bass Extension
  3. Comfort
  4. Clarity/Detail
  5. Balanced (Not dark, not bright) Sound Signature
  6. Do not require an amp to be used normally. (aka, "used fine without, sound better with")

Just wondering if such a headphone exists, since the M50's are rather highly regarded, and the only things I have seen being recommended other than them alot of the time are the SRH840's and SRH750DJ's, which are both more steps to the side, than steps up.

Feb 13, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #2 of 45

Quote:
I'm pretty sure this has been asked before, but with a price limit of $300 (Give $50 for extremely good matches)....

Are there any around-ear (circumaural) headphones which are a noticeable step up from the Audio Technica ATH M50's in the following areas?

1. Bass Punch/Kick
  2. Bass Extension
  3. Comfort
  4. Clarity/Detail
  5. Balanced (Not dark, not bright) Sound Signature
  6. Do not require an amp to be used normally. (aka, "used fine without, sound better with")

Just wondering if such a headphone exists, since the M50's are rather highly regarded, and the only things I have seen being recommended other than them alot of the time are the SRH840's and SRH750DJ's, which are both more steps to the side, than steps up.

i agree they have different sound sigs though the srh750dj is somewhat close to the m50 but the mids are less recessed.

Feb 13, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #3 of 45
Of course there are better headphones than the M50. All your requirements may not be met in that price range, and especially if you're not investing in a dac or amp, but that doesn't mean the M50 is the be all and end all. Look at other sound signatures, you may be surprised to find you enjoy a certain presentation more. "Better" is highly subjective on Head-Fi. Stop splitting hairs based on the bias of others.

Feb 13, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #4 of 45

Quote:
Of course there are better headphones than the M50. All your requirements may not be met in that price range, and especially if you're not investing in a dac or amp, but that doesn't mean the M50 is the be all and end all. Look at other sound signatures, you may be surprised to find you enjoy a certain presentation more. "Better" is highly subjective on Head-Fi. Stop splitting hairs based on the bias of others.

Not looking, just wondering. A lot of people get the M50's as their first pair of headphones. They then later want to know what's better under a certain price, and get told that they can only take side-steps. (840 + 750DJ.)

I was wondering if in general, what headphone in this price range is better at the most of the things I have listed here.

Feb 13, 2011 at 11:01 AM Post #8 of 45

Quote:
What about ultrasones? HFI 580? 

I've been looking at them, apparently they're only a slight step up, similar to the improvement you'd get by switching to 840's or 750's. I want to know if there is a headphone that most people would agree is "better" than the M50, under $300 - $350. If it's only a few people who think it's better, it's usually just a different sound signature and they prefer it. But if a lot of people prefer a headphone over another, then it's usually overall an improvement.

Feb 13, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #9 of 45
I've owned the M50 and am considering buying it again for times I'm away from my amp and dac. I obviously rate the M50 highly and recommend it where appropriate, but the way it's put on a pedestal, particularly by newer members who haven't heard anything else, is a bit much imo.

The M50 may be damned good at what it does (especially in the $150 or less tier), but I'm sure there'd be Beyers, Denons, Grados/Alessandros, Sennheisers etc in the price bracket above that'd make you quickly forget the M50.

Feb 13, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #10 of 45

Quote:
I've owned the M50 and am considering buying it again for times I'm away from my amp and dac. I obviously rate the M50 highly and recommend it where appropriate, but the way it's put on a pedestal, particularly by newer members who haven't heard anything else, is a bit much imo.

The M50 may be damned good at what it does (especially in the $150 or less tier), but I'm sure there'd be Beyers, Denons, Grados/Alessandros, Sennheisers etc in the price bracket above that'd make you quickly forget the M50.

Yes, but what I am asking, is which headphones of those are the ones that make you forget about the M50's.

Feb 13, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #12 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by olor1n link

Yes, but what I am asking, is which headphones of those are the ones that make you forget about the M50's.

Do you only read M50 threads? Head-Fiers listen to and appreciate other cans you know? Look on the first page, there are discussions about other headphones. Of the highly regarded ones in the price range you're looking at there's the D2000, DT880, HD600/650 to name a few.

To draw on my own experience and to answer your question, the HD650 blows the M50 out of the water in all aspects in your original post (yes, even without a dedicated amp imo). I didn't want to state this initially as I feel it's an unfair comparison and the HD650 is a different beast, but if you must grade headphones in such a manner the HD650 has my overwhelming preference.

The M50 is not some sort of untouchable benchmark that can only be "bested" by the high enders. To me the "best" can in the $150 or under bracket is the MS-1i. It largely gets overlooked around these parts because of the M50 pedestal. I'm sure there are other gems that also don't get a look in. What a shame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back