Next step onto bigger and better sound
May 22, 2012 at 4:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

AndresVilla

New Head-Fier
I currently have the m50 and the hd555, i have used them for quite a while and would like to know what i should do next. I am not sure if i should buy a better pair of headphones or get a dac, amp, or even a soundcard for that sake.

Whatever it comes down to could i get a price estimate i would rather not spend a whole lot of money. If it comes down to a dac or amp i dont mind making a diy one or if anyone else here could make it i would consider buying it.

All i need is help making the next step.
Thanks in advance!

May 22, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #2 of 18
Quote:
I currently have the m50 and the hd555, i have used them for quite a while and would like to know what i should do next. I am not sure if i should buy a better pair of headphones or get a dac, amp, or even a soundcard for that sake.

Whatever it comes down to could i get a price estimate i would rather not spend a whole lot of money. If it comes down to a dac or amp i dont mind making a diy one or if anyone else here could make it i would consider buying it.

All i need is help making the next step.
Thanks in advance!

We would need to know of what your music delivery consists and in what format do you keep your music.  Oh yes--and your budget.

May 22, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #4 of 18
I listen to rap, dubstep and house.

When im listening to music i use the m50's but when it comes to playing games that use positioning i use the hd555's, i also use the hd555's when i wanna have more of a relaxing experience. Other than that i switch depending on the mood im in i guess

May 22, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

When im listening to music i use the m50's but when it comes to playing games that use positioning i use the hd555's, i also use the hd555's when i wanna have more of a relaxing experience. Other than that i switch depending on the mood im in i guess

OK--but again--through what machines and parts (e.g. sound card) do you use to deliver your music and in what form(s) is your music (e.g. mp3 files, CD's etc.)?

May 22, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Put more effort into your responses, and answer all of our questions.

May 22, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #7 of 18
Put more effort into your responses, and answer all of our questions.

well if ur gonna be a dick about it you dont need to reply, i missed like 1 of the questions which was the format. and another one about the hardware was pretty self explanatory if i asked if i should get a SOUND CARD, dac or amp.
Quote:

OK--but again--through what machines and parts (e.g. sound card) do you use to deliver your music and in what form(s) is your music (e.g. mp3 files, CD's etc.)?

I have no types of hardware, its plugged straight into my motherboard, i mostly have mp3's, but i still have many flac files. i dont use cd's at all btw.

The specific budget can vary i dont wanna be set in stone but less than like 90 if possible, im not looking for top of the line by any means because i know its out of my budget so i understand the increase in sound quality isnt gonna be immense. 

btw i might be able to get my hands on a steelseries soundcard because my friend has an extra one and he might just give it to me, i know its not the best but would it be better to use that and wait for more money?

May 22, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #9 of 18
and your budget?

anyways, i think its better to use your m50 and your hd555 and buy a cheap DAC (no budget mentioned) in replacement for the onboard soundcard of your computer. FiiO E10 would be an OK choice, i guess.

if you can diy you can make amps yourself (if you need it on your chain) like CMOY or O2... not sure what to recommend for diy DACs though.

May 22, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #11 of 18
oops, i didnt saw that. sorry.

nah, your headphones are fine. getting a headphone that is 2x or 3x more expensive than your current ones doesnt necessarily mean that they sound 2x or 3x with what you currently have IMO. although its possible that buying an external DAC won't change the sound sig by a big margin as well.

for me, i say stick with your m50 and hd555 unless youre "ready" to spend cash. and 90usd is even less than the price of the m50 :wink:

May 23, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #13 of 18
It seems to me that your next upgrade should be in your sound system, which in this case is your computer.  At present your cans are almost certainly better than your current sound delivery system.  In addition, getting better cans than you have will not help much, if at all, with mp3 formatted music (except to change sound signature/EQ).

As i don't use my computer for serious music listening, I can't give you any specific advice and am not sure what can be done for $90.

May 23, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #14 of 18
Just get an Asus Xonar DG ($30) or DGX ($40) sound card.
They come with a better DAC then whatever is in your motherboard and has a half-way decent headphone amplifier
And comes with Dolby Digital 5.1 (Dolby Virtual Headphone)
Should improve your current headphone sound, at least a little.

You can always sell off your ATH-M50s and HD-555, then see how much cash your willing to spend on new headphones.

May 23, 2012 at 4:09 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:
Just get an Asus Xonar DG ($30) or DGX ($40) sound card.
They come with a better DAC then whatever is in your motherboard and has a half-way decent headphone amplifier
And comes with Dolby Digital 5.1 (Dolby Virtual Headphone)
Should improve your current headphone sound, at least a little.

You can always sell off your ATH-M50s and HD-555, then see how much cash your willing to spend on new headphones.

This.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back