Next significant upgrade from Alessandro MS-1
Apr 17, 2013 at 11:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Abouna

500+ Head-Fier
OK, I have some MS-1s that have been my main cans for some years now.  I still think they sound fantastic.

I am wondering though if I might consider something new just for a change.  How much more do I need to spend to beat these significantly.  I'm not too interested unless I;mm going to be really impressed over these.

I'm also not interested in a new amp/dac so whatever it is has to be driven by my FiiO E10.

EDIT: I'd like to try something open and perhaps from Audio Technica or some similar competitor.  Signature wise I prefer clarity and a natural soundstage even at the expense of bass.

Apr 18, 2013 at 4:15 AM Post #2 of 14
Sell your MS1i, top up some and get a MS2i?

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:
Somehow I doubt that's going to be a significant upgrade.

I have both, it is significant enough especially you like MS1i sound signature. Otherwise go all the way to MS-Pro. If you can find a place to audit, try it. If you can only find Grado, try the SR325 which is close to MS2i. MS1i should be equivalent to SR80i.

If you use Grado Prestige model to compare, before SR325i there are SR60i, SR80i, SR125i, SR225i. So in reality MS1i to MS2i is quite significant and the price too - [size=small]$109.99 to $299.[/size]

There is no other brands that has similar sound signature to the Grado/Alessandro. If you want a different signature, try a different brand.

Apr 19, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #8 of 14
SRH1440. Very clear and bright but not so good soundstage. (about the same as the ms2i)
HD598. Very wide and natural soundstage (but not as much details as the MS2i)
Not sure about audio technica ad900x, not tried it before.

But in my personal opinion, the MS2i is a fantastic upgrade from the MS1i. Take everything good on the MS1i, its energy, fun, clarity. Add lots of refinement, depth and seperation of soundstage even more clarity. That is the MS2i.
I actually plan to upgrade in that path, just statin'.
wink.gif

Apr 19, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #9 of 14
Yea MS2i itself is a big step up from the MS1i on my personal opinion. Otherwise consider Sennheiser HD600/650 I love them.

Apr 19, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #10 of 14
I heard the MS-Pro are not a big step up from the MS2i? At least from the price ratio? Is it true? Some said they prefer the MS2i then the MS-Pro and the MS-Pro is much closer in term of signature to the MS1i. MS2i has a more dynamic sound signature?

Apr 20, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #11 of 14
Hmmm, let see, the way i hear it the MS-Pro is more refined on the top, better layering, better transparencies, and better soundstage (depth) than the MS1/i, of course this is just the way i heard them, we all have different ears after all
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 20, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:
Hmmm, let see, the way i hear it the MS-Pro is more refined on the top, better layering, better transparencies, and better soundstage (depth) than the MS1/i, of course this is just the way i heard them, we all have different ears after all
smily_headphones1.gif

How about MS2i vs MS-Pro?

Apr 20, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #13 of 14
I forgot to tell that I've heard the MS1i and MS-Pro yesterday, I've heard the MS2i but not in conditions where I compare it to the MS-Pro so my comment is definitely not valid I'm sorry
frown.gif
. I've only compare the MS2i to the SR325i where in terms of soundquality both have a good one but quite different in terms of soundsign where as the MS2i is abit laidback compare to the SR325i, nevertheless I love Grado and Alessandro headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 20, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #14 of 14
I heard the MS-Pro are not a big step up from the MS2i? At least from the price ratio? Is it true? Some said they prefer the MS2i then the MS-Pro and the MS-Pro is much closer in term of signature to the MS1i. MS2i has a more dynamic sound signature?

I was actually more impressed by the ms2i than the ms pro when i audition it. From what i remember the ms pro is an ms2i with a touch more treble and clarity but less soundstage.
Also i find the sr325i too tizzy and narrow for my liking, but then im listening to trance not rock :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back