NEWS: Meridian Releases The Explorer Pocket-Sized USB DAC
Feb 12, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #61 of 1,072
Quote:
- What is the max/average power draw from the usb bus?

Thanks!  Looking forward to more impressions.

I'm finding the draw to be rather excessive - about 3 times what I saw with the Dragonfly on my 11" MBA, about 7-8% DF vs. what is over 25% with the ME.  If I let my computer sit idle (running 95% free load in the background) and drop my backlight to 1 notch at 100% power, I get a 6:30 estimate after 5 minutes.  If I add the ME in and play with volume slider at 50% for 5 minutes it settles about 4:20.  Not terribly scientific but it should shed some light.

It's not hot by any means, but it does get a bit warm to the touch.  I'd say based on this I'll be keeping it as it's pretty damn impressive, but I probably will reserve my DF for times when I'm not by a plug or just for quick coding sessions when I'm out and about - a 4:20 idle with minimal brightness is probably a realistic 2.5 hours while working.

Feb 12, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #62 of 1,072
Thinking about getting an laptop just so I have an excuse to buy this.  

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #68 of 1,072
This DAC really loioks nice. I like the 2 caps and that XMOS chip.  However, based on my experience with DACport LX, cleaning up the power and signal for these USB-powered products are not easy and can cost you a fortune.

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #69 of 1,072
Quote:
Please someone post the output impedance. This should be a no-brainer.

Again, you won't get that for a while. If Meridian don't supply it, you will have to wait for a performance-minded enthusiast to get hold of one. I'm thinking of ordering one myself. If I do, I'll test the output impedance. However, that won't be for a while. 

One thing to note: even sources with high Ω output impedances can sound good with low Ω earphones/headphones. People have been enjoying the likes of Cowon and Hifiman players for years and until recently, haven't given it much thought. Only in the last year has there been any interest in output Ω. It's a good thing that headfi is waking up to performance gains countable to performance-minded circuitry, but it isn't the be-all end-all of output. Certain headphones/earphones in certain situations can exact heavy tolls in distortion and frequency artefacts, but not all the time. The DACport sounds great despite its ~10Ω output. Of course, closer to 0 is best, but I doubt that any reviewers out there except a few will even notice. Most review based on $ and looks if anything. Real performance is almost always secondary to other motives.

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #70 of 1,072
Quote:
Please someone post the output impedance. This should be a no-brainer.

I'm unsure of everyone else, but mine arrived at work and I don't have a potentiometer handy to measure this easily at my desk. I don't understand how this is a "no brainer" as it's not listed in any of the Meridian provided product literature. Only that review mentions that it's 16 ohms.

Feb 13, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #73 of 1,072
those caps on the Explorer look beautiful, but nothing so far would make me want to
get rid of the sexy lil Dragonfly 
wink.gif

now if someone would say the Explorer sounds like a $10,000 dac then I would be
excited. otherwise it just looks like a Centrance Dacport with a fancier company name.

Feb 13, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #74 of 1,072
Quote:
Again, you won't get that for a while. If Meridian don't supply it, you will have to wait for a performance-minded enthusiast to get hold of one. I'm thinking of ordering one myself. If I do, I'll test the output impedance. However, that won't be for a while. 

One thing to note: even sources with high Ω output impedances can sound good with low Ω earphones/headphones. People have been enjoying the likes of Cowon and Hifiman players for years and until recently, haven't given it much thought. Only in the last year has there been any interest in output Ω. It's a good thing that headfi is waking up to performance gains countable to performance-minded circuitry, but it isn't the be-all end-all of output. Certain headphones/earphones in certain situations can exact heavy tolls in distortion and frequency artefacts, but not all the time. The DACport sounds great despite its ~10Ω output. Of course, closer to 0 is best, but I doubt that any reviewers out there except a few will even notice. Most review based on $ and looks if anything. Real performance is almost always secondary to other motives.

And even with high output impedance, most headphones exhibit relatively flat impedance response so that isn't going to make much of a difference to the casual listener. Yeah there might be some phase differential and impulse effects too, but most will never know the difference there either. 

Feb 13, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #75 of 1,072
Quote:

And even with high output impedance, most headphones exhibit relatively flat impedance response so that isn't going to make much of a difference to the casual listener. Yeah there might be some phase differential and impulse effects too, but most will never know the difference there either. 

Indeed, most normal headphones of 80Ω and higher will exhibit relatively no artefacts at all. Low Ω headphones and earphones, however, are usually different stories, but still, for years, people have listened to amps and outputs that simply don't drive earphones well and raved about them. At times, I lose faith in our hobby. This new Explorer looks fascinating though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back