NEWS: Meridian Releases The Explorer Pocket-Sized USB DAC
Feb 12, 2013 at 4:45 AM Post #33 of 1,072
Could someone run RMAA on this? The official specs don't tell much... For IEM use (which for many will be the main use for this product) the output impedance number is critical to know. I'd also want to know the crosstalk specs at 16 ohms and many other things.

That said, this looks extremely promising. The future of hifi, in my opinion, is clearly mass market portable gear and it seems that's where the most development is happening these days. Looking forward to having an Explorer vs Dragonfly shootout at my local hifi store soon :)

Feb 12, 2013 at 6:30 AM Post #34 of 1,072
Yummy. Subscribed.

Feb 12, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #36 of 1,072
Quote:
Could someone run RMAA on this? The official specs don't tell much... For IEM use (which for many will be the main use for this product) the output impedance number is critical to know. I'd also want to know the crosstalk specs at 16 ohms and many other things.

That said, this looks extremely promising. The future of hifi, in my opinion, is clearly mass market portable gear and it seems that's where the most development is happening these days. Looking forward to having an Explorer vs Dragonfly shootout at my local hifi store soon
smily_headphones1.gif

You won't get those sort of answers from any of the websites that have 'reviewed' it so far. That will only come with users. Sighted hearing and price flagging is all you'll get from the likes of CA.

Feb 12, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #37 of 1,072
After reading the early reviews on this, and having been an admirer of the Meridian product line since its early days (remember Boothroyd-Stuart?), I quickly popped for this one yesterday (in stock at TTVJ).  I've been in the market for a compact all-in-one for use at work, and wanted one with 24/192 USB capability.  I've been using HRT MusicStreamer II for the past couple of years (with reasonable satisfaction); let's see if this meets and beats the sound quality of that venerable unit.

Feb 12, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #38 of 1,072
I love the chipset they chose to use. XMOS + TI's new PCM5102 (their relatively new part with a direct-coupled output stage and minimum-phase digital filter) probably will make a very nice combo.

Feb 12, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #40 of 1,072
Subscribe.

Maybe I missed it but do we know which DAC chip this uses?

Edit: Ah, the schematic says the Texas Instruments PCM5102. (Perhaps they mean the more current PCM5102A?)

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #42 of 1,072
Quote:
Sub'bed. Was 90% on grabbing a Dragonfly, maybe I'll be glad I waited :p.

I've had a Dragonfly since shortly after it came out, returned it after a few days, and repurchased.  TBH, while it's a fine unit, I don't think with probably 500+ hours of use my original issues have completely evaporated.  I'm in NYC at the moment and there's a Meridian dealer not too far away, I may head down and check it out later today.

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #43 of 1,072
I'm on the market for something like this for the Ultrasone Ed8 phones. Portable, not more than 300$, great quality, nice sturdy looks. Only thing I'm worried about now is the Android USB connectivity.. it's a deal breaker if it can't be done. In the aformentioned review they mention it is Type-2 USB and extra drivers needed, which might cause trouble (?), so count another one eagerly waiting to hear about this.

On another note. Is there a similar device with audio controls (next/previous, volume up/down) out there at this range?

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #44 of 1,072
Well well well. Saving my money for an ODAC but now I need to hold down for few weeks to read some more reviews and comparisons. Maybe I should save up more money to buy one. Reading that this one do not connect direct to USB port than this is a plus point, right? 24/192 really interesting. Thanks and waiting for more reviews, comparisons and impressions.

Feb 12, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #45 of 1,072
Quote:

I've had a Dragonfly since shortly after it came out, returned it after a few days, and repurchased.  TBH, while it's a fine unit, I don't think with probably 500+ hours of use my original issues have completely evaporated.  I'm in NYC at the moment and there's a Meridian dealer not too far away, I may head down and check it out later today.

Alright, so I have one in hand and have been listening to it for 30 minutes.

Unfortunately I only brought one thing with my to NYC, my JVC FXZ-200s.  I can say vs. the Dragonfly it has an overall leaner/cleaner/faster thing going on, with more detail in the upper end - tending a bit toward edgy.  Bass is certainly tighter, more impactful and detailed but overall sound seems to have less body for more air.  It's what I would call a clearly a more hifi sound.  The sound differences are not subtle.  I am somewhat worried these may be fatiguing for long listens but we'll see how it goes.

One thing I do find somewhat alarming is they appear, at least with these phones, to require twice as much volume on the slider to get to a similar apparent volume.  I typically listen at 3-5 full bars depending on how hot the recording is, with these I'm more like in the 7-10 bar territory.  

Anyway, just initial impressions, I'll probably drop back in after 30-40 hours or so.  I have a good feeling about this rig.

EDIT: I swore I read somewhere these have rubber feet?  I see none on the bottom nor in the package?  Without something on the bottom it's easy to make it slide around the desk I'm working on, although it does have a somewhat rough texture.  Putting it on top of the pouch helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back