[NEWS / DISCUSSION / IMPRESSION] Phonak Audéo PFE232
Feb 15, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #31 of 1,082
Here's my prototype with interchangeable crossovers, by the way. :)

22120237733139661857.jpg

Feb 15, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #34 of 1,082
also @dfkt: How is the fit with them? They are presumably bigger housing two driver. They do look it.

Feb 16, 2011 at 3:54 AM Post #39 of 1,082
Thanks to dfkt I too had the chance to hear their preproduction model and play the crossover/filter game. If I remember correctly we both preferred the same tuning in the end, which was only slightly warmer (and of course beefier) than the single driver version, yet still very clear and rather analytical. But the available crossover/filter combinations included some significantly warmer sounding variants and I don't know whether Phonak followed dfkt's recommendation for their final production.

Fit was as easy as with the older model, plus all edges have been rounded off for the new housings.

Feb 16, 2011 at 6:04 AM Post #41 of 1,082

Quote:
Thanks to dfkt I too had the chance to hear their preproduction model and play the crossover/filter game. If I remember correctly we both preferred the same tuning in the end, which was only slightly warmer (and of course beefier) than the single driver version, yet still very clear and rather analytical. But the available crossover/filter combinations included some significantly warmer sounding variants and I don't know whether Phonak followed dfkt's recommendation for their final production.

Fit was as easy as with the older model, plus all edges have been rounded off for the new housings.

[size=x-small]That sounds extremely encouraging to me. Everything from PFE112 mid-mids to upper treble is close to perfect for me, but they could be improved by a decent amount more sub-bass and a little more upper bass/mid bass. Then they would be extremely close to perfect.[/size]

[size=x-small]Love the rounded edges, as I was saying on anything but ipod, my thoughts on the PFE112 design have always been that it's basic shape is ideal for cable placement and fit, but needed the edges rounding off. This is exactly what dfkt also felt and told Phonak, and they listened. Looks perfect.[/size]

Feb 16, 2011 at 9:08 AM Post #43 of 1,082

Quote:
@dfkt: how does it compare to dba02?

Sorry, never heard them.

Quote:
also @dfkt: How is the fit with them? They are presumably bigger housing two driver. They do look it.

They are bigger, but only in that they fill the ear a bit more to the back. They are still flush fitting and don't stick out. They are more comfortable to wear than the single driver PFE, IMO.

Quote:
Would you say that the sound is somewhat like the green filter on perfect bass?

The green filters took away some of the clarity of the PFE 112, IMO. The dual drivers are closer to the grey or black filters, as far as frequency response is concerned - yet, richer, fuller sounding - like other multi armatures, such as the SM3 or SE530. (At least that's what I suppose the end product to be - there's one crossover that made them really bassy, but Phonak didn't consider that one for the end product.)

Feb 16, 2011 at 9:14 AM Post #44 of 1,082
Good news! I agree with many here that the 112s are exceptional for their price. Really left me not interested in upgrading to anything else. Hope the new one maintains some characteristics of the original even if its warmer sounding. If I upgrade, my 112 isn't going anywhere. Ballpark price? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back