Newcomer to mid/high-end earphones; seeking advice on customs
Jul 9, 2010 at 11:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Deed

New Head-Fier
Hi all. As a live musician in a function band, I often find that earphones don't sit right in my ear or don't isolate sound well enough.  Well, all that I've really used are Sennnheiser's CX-300s, which sound muddy, let in a lot of the stage noise and slide out of my ears far too easily, thanks to a combination of sweat and dancing.  As a trombonist, when I can't hear myself properly it's too easy for me to overblow and tire myself out, so my earphones really need to seal well and sound bright and clear.

While I've seen plenty of threads on custom earphones, I have a pretty specific dilemma, as first of all I've never properly listened to a good pair to know a whole lot about sound quality.  For months, Etymotic's ER-4Ps have really appealed to me, and on the suggestion of my uncle I've booked an audiologist appointment for moulding.

My main point: Going by the prices, I'm very sure that the audiologist uses ACS to supply customs.  Etys plus ACS custom moulds would cost around £230--the same price of a pair of ACS T3s.  However, while I've seen plenty about ER-4Ps, there seems to be one very vaguely negative opinion on the T3s.  I'm very hesitant about spending more than £250 for T2s or T1s, so would it be advisable that I get the Etys and custom moulds, so that I can at least get a different pair of earphones if I dislike the Etys? This would probably be a straight yes for me, but having the whole casing moulded would probably be much more comfortable, and the whole setup would probably be a lot more sturdy.  On top of this, ACS seem to use some pretty nice cables, which is another factor for when I'm on stage.  It may also be that I'd prefer the sound of the T3s, but of course there's no way that I could audition them.

Hopefully that wasn't too wordy, and I'll try to look around this place and actually contribute to topics instead of just being an advice-leech.  Also, if I've missed a thread which would have answered my questions, then I have no qualms about this post being removed as long as somebody points me to the thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back