Newbie with new SM3 and questions
Feb 8, 2011 at 3:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

justg

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,
I'm quite new to this hobby. I had a pair of Etymotic MC5 and decided that my commutes and ears deserved better.
I pulled the trigger on getting the SM3 phones. Overall, I like the presentation, it's really very smooth...I've only listened so far with two sources...rockboxed Clip+ and the HO of the Nuforce Icon and I'm playing around a bit with the EQ...

My issue is that I hear congestion in the lower mids on complex, see multi-instrument, passages. It seems better with the Nuforce.
Can I expect significantly better separation as I move up in source quality? Say to a HifiMan or using an amp with the Clip+?
I'd rather keep it to one device rather than bundles, but I suppose that I should try  listening first before I make decisions like that.

Are there typically any issues with returning IEMs? Is there a good place in the SF Bay Area to actually try higher-end IEMs?

Thanks in advance for any information. It's much appreciated.
-g

Feb 8, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #3 of 5
Try to search for sm3 and see what dap other headfiers use and what they think about their combo because some iem`s synergize well with some dap`s and some iem`s don`t 
beerchug.gif
Welcome to HeadFi and sorry about your wallet btw.

Feb 8, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #4 of 5
Personally, synergy is important, yes.  However, IIRC when I reviewed the SM3 I don't know if I mentioned it or not in the review but I've used it with my audio-gd sparrow (I think) and I didn't think it made too much of a difference.  Compared to other headphones I have/had I still think the SM3 was a bit too "thick" for me.  You might try burning them in.

Feb 8, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #5 of 5
Try different tips.

It is said by some of the SM3 owners that the SM3 wants to be used with tips that have larger bores to sound its fullest or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back