Newbie seeking advice regarding first audiophile headphone purchase
Mar 2, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #31 of 52
My first "real" headphones were a pair of used M40X. I have since moved through HD 598 and onto HD 600 (going through a pair of HM5s that I just didn't like), but I still keep the M40X because it's nice to have a closed back when I need isolation (I use it at work, and am even looking for another closed back to use at home). On that front, I think your choice of going for a used closed headphones is not a bad choice (though I can't tell you if specifically the Momentum is a good one as I've never heard it). As for the amp, a lot of people will tell you that you need something really beefy to power the 600, but I just don't think that's the case. I was fine with my Schiit Fulla (40 mW per channel at 300 Ohms), and I'm only using something different (Bravo Audio V2) because I happen to like the sound it provides just a little bit more. I also think the 600 is a good place to stop (for at least a little while) on your audio journey and work on your source components. Sure, they sound great on cheap stuff, but they can definitely sound better on better equipment. That gives you the opportunity to enjoy an upgrade (or decide that what you have is good enough) without jumping up to the "next level" as far as headphones go.

Mar 2, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #32 of 52
I don't know much about the momentums. Personally to me they look like they might not be very comfortable for longer periods of time, I would try to get the velour pads if possible.

Some closed back alternatives I have experience with would be the DT-770 pro 80ohm or the HD-25 II which is 70 ohm. I have the HD-25 II and for me they are loud enough running straight out of my phone, but I'm sure some people would want the possibility of slightly higher volume. Both of these could easily be powered with a small portable amp like the fiio ones. Maybe search for the smallest, most practical fiio amp, and calculate whether they will suffice.

The HD-25 II are really rugged, come with velour pads and to me feel quite comfortable for longer periods because they sit directly on top of your ears so the force is applied over a larger area of your ears instead of annoying the edges of your ear. It's also easy to adjust the clamping force as they are very flexible. The noise isolation is great, one of the reasons this is the most popular headphone for DJs. They are quite portable and I've gone on several runs and weight lifting sessions without them moving around. Oh and the sound is good too. The one con is the cable, unless they have updated it, the stock cable is very stiff and microphonic, but you could get a reasonably priced aftermarket one (kevlar sleeves are good vs microphonics).

I think if I could only have one headphone in my life, for both listening at home, moving around outside, public transportation etc. these would be my go to.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #33 of 52
I've been looking at amps for the HD 600, and I'm thinking either the O2 or the Vali2 is the way I want to go. However I hear a lot about DAC pairings when I look up things about amps. Will the DAC make a significant difference as far as the 600s are concerned? If so, how should I approach choosing one for my amp (when I choose which one to go with)?

Mar 3, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #34 of 52
A Modi 2/Uber should be fine, though I prefer the multibit. If budget is a concern, standard modi 2 isn't offensive, and will play a much smaller role in your enjoyment of music than the amp, or headhphone.

Mar 3, 2018 at 11:58 PM Post #36 of 52
I think the Modi 2 Uber just lets you use the usb and optical inputs, but the modi 2 is limited to rca. Rest should be same/same. The straight input depends on the source. If you're talking about the output from the ipod, then you don't really need a dac... it's output should already be analog.

Mar 4, 2018 at 4:51 AM Post #37 of 52
I think you got a bit confused typing that up. The base Modi 2 only has USB input and RCA output. The Uber (and multibit) has USB, optical, and SDPIF. All but the base model also have a wall plug, which could help if your USB power gets noisy at all. The base model seems to be quite sensitive to computer activity (warning: fairly controversial measurements, but at least the relative measurement with the computer activity should be pretty difficult to argue about, since since it's the same device under very similar test conditions). But I'm definitely in agreement that you shouldn't need an external DAC because the DAC in your iPod is supposed to be pretty good. Apple seems to do audio pretty well.

Mar 4, 2018 at 4:54 AM Post #38 of 52
I think you got a bit confused typing that up. The base Modi 2 only has USB input and RCA output. The Uber (and multibit) has USB, optical, and SDPIF. All but the base model also have a wall plug, which could help if your USB power gets noisy at all. The base model seems to be quite sensitive to computer activity (warning: fairly controversial measurements, but at least the relative measurement with the computer activity should be pretty difficult to argue about, since since it's the same device under very similar test conditions). But I'm definitely in agreement that you shouldn't need an external DAC because the DAC in your iPod is supposed to be pretty good. Apple seems to do audio pretty well.
Quite right.

Mar 8, 2018 at 8:15 PM Post #40 of 52
I feel like unless you want to go for a DAC $300+ you won’t get a huge diffence then your current source. I think someone’s budget it better spent on an amp if you have the hd600 for sure.

Also check out the Elemental Watson II for an amp. That is my easy pick for a tube/hybrid. Thing is a beast... I had someone who owns the chord dave, Utopia and they were really impressed by the performance of the Watson for the price.

Mar 9, 2018 at 12:38 AM Post #41 of 52
if you havent made a decission yet, I'm gonna recommend you forget about amps and dacs for now and just get the flc8s. it's an in ear monitor, not a headphone, but it has many benefits and special features, most notably, its extensive tuning system. I'm recommending this to you because I think it is an iem that can change your perspective on good audio. if you do get them, i suggest you try them straight out of the box for a few months, or until you're tired of them and want a new experience. then start playing around with the tuning system until you find something to your liking. Once you realize they don't perform as well as you want, upgrade to something more technically capable (read some reviews to look for similar sound signatures and if you can, go demo some units).

when you are really bored, i recommend you save up for a good dac/amp. while its quite expensive for your budget atm, you should try to save up for the chord mojo. I personally think that dacs and amps should be upgraded less frequently than the headphones themselves. This is because they don't make as big a difference as a completely different headphone and should only be upgraded when the headphones you use outresolve and outperform the dac/amp you use. I recommend the chord mojo because it is very high performing for its price and won't need to be upgraded for a while afterwards.

don't get me wrong though, the hd599 is an excellent choice for a first headphone, unoffensive and very pleasurable to listen to. I just think that if you're gonna make your first step, you might as well be a little more adventurous (hence the tuning system) rather than stick with a really safe option. if you do get the flc8s, you can pm me if you have any questions you have about it :p

on a side note, i'm not sure about the ipod but my old iphones werent very well isolated and i could hear processing noise (clicking sound, especially when browsing the web and swiping the screen) from my iems. if you do hear buzzing, i suggest you get a dac/amp (get something really cheap for now)

Mar 9, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #42 of 52
A few things:

From what I've been reading, the DAC on the Ipod Touch 5 is actually pretty excellent, so I think I am going to focus on the amp for now.

Unfortunately (or not), I already have made a decision. In fact, my HD600's arrived yesterday. I can't use them yet without an amp. Though, I did try to plug them into my old record player to see what happened. The sound was fair (I listened to a bit of Rubber Soul, the intro of Norwegian Wood sounded much "harsher" than I've ever heard it sound), but I'll chalk that up to the poor quality of my player (it's well over 50 years old), and the potential that it wasn't powerful enough (I did try plugging them into my iPod directly afterward for comparison, and the sound was slightly more hollow as expected). Perhaps there is a burn-in period as well? When I have the Amp I'll try it with the player to compare.

As for the Amp, it appears the Elemental Watson is just above my price range (which I've already exceeded getting the HD600s... oops). Thus far I'm leaning towards the Vali 2, but I'm still looking around so if there are any other amps around the same price that sound well with the HD600's, I'll definitely look into it.

P.S., I also got my used pair of Momentums for on the go. Lo and behold, they didn't come with the cable, and I don't have any 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapters lying around. *sigh* Guess I still have some time to wait.

Mar 15, 2018 at 11:24 PM Post #43 of 52
Hey, I'm back (again :-/)

So right now I have enough funds to buy the Vali 2 amp to go with the HD600's. I was just going to get those and be done, but I had heard someone describe that pairing as sounding "shrill", which is basically the exact opposite of what I want (not necessarily more bass, but I get bothered by peaky or bitey highs fairly easily). The research I'm doing has pointed me in the following direction:

There's really no safe bets, but if I want this investment to stay with me long term, I'm better off actually investing in something I'm more confident will suit my needs longer.

In this case, it's starting to look like I might want to hold off a while and then go for the Valhalla 2. The used Momentums aren't perfect, but they're enough of a clearly audible step up for me to settle with them for at least the next little bit, so the biggest setback of waiting and saving more is that it's nearly double the cost of what I was anticipating (which would push back other things I'm looking to save for).

I'm not going to jump on the Vali 2, so there's no race against time or anything, but I suppose I just thought I'd ask, can anyone attest to the sound signature of the Vali 2 with those headphones (HD600)? And if yes, how does it compare to that of the same cans with the Valhalla 2? Is that upgrade really worth over twice the money?

Mar 15, 2018 at 11:27 PM Post #44 of 52
Shouldn't be shrill, but the treble is a bit stronger than, say, hd650/6xx. If you're worried, get the 650. Should be fine though, with tubes especially.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back