Newbie seeking advice regarding first audiophile headphone purchase
Feb 26, 2018 at 3:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

Gravitynaut

New Head-Fier
Been an avid music listener (and musician) for many years now, albeit not a very scrutinizing one. Lately I've felt more and more like cheap earbuds and $10 headphones don't quite do the music justice, hence my dip into the audiophile world.

Before I make any purchases, I figured I'd ask some advice from people who are more knowledgeable than I, or at least hold a little more viability than pooling through user reviews.

Here's where I stand, more or less:
  • I'm no audiophile myself, I'm looking for mostly entry-level devices in my price range ($200-300 max for the whole kittenkaboodle) since it's not likely I'd be able to pick up the more subtle improvements in higher-end equipment anyways.
  • My player is an iPod Touch 5th gen. I doubt this will be changing anytime soon, so everything I purchase is relative to said device.
  • The pair of cans I have my eye on are the Sennheiser 599 HD Open Backs (about $175). I'm all ears for suggestions, but these seem to be the ones that will offer the most for my music tastes (mainly classical, some rock, Pink Floyd, Beatles-type stuff) in my price range.
  • I mostly intend to use these for private listening anyways, so portability isn't an issue.
Where I need guidance:
  • Headphone amp: I'm largely stumped when it comes to what amp will be appropriate for my lower-end setup. Should it be portable? Should I get something stronger? Do I even need an amp at all? What benefits do various amps provide compared to one another? So far the most attractive amp for me is the FiiO A3 portable, however, I'm worried that such a lower-priced product will even make any difference at all. Should I hold off and buy a JDSLabs Objective2 even if it'll mean holding off for a few weeks while I save for the larger investment? Does it even make that much of a difference? I'm seriously clueless here so any advice, suggestions, information would be super appreciated.
  • Line-in/Line-out vs. Headphone jack: I was just only made aware of this issue days ago while doing some research. From what I understand, amping my phones from the headpone jack of the iPod would be in essence amping the already internally-amped (and of lesser quality) signal, thus defeating the purpose of using an external amp to begin with. Is this an issue or will the difference between a line-in and headphone jack not be all to significant with the quality I'm aiming for? If it is, how should I go about solving it? A dock with a line-out adapter? Would that even work?

Again, I'm really just seeking any info that will help me on my first attempt at creating some semblance of a worthwhile set-up. If there's anything I haven't mentioned or am completely missing, please bring me up to speed, and huge thanks in advance for anything you can contribute for my various inquiries/confusions.

Feb 26, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #2 of 52
I don't think you need an amp at all.
You generally only need an amp to drive high impedance headphones. The 599's are rated at 50ohms, which is low. In comparison, the top of the line 800's are 300ohms.

Feb 26, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #3 of 52
How is your music encoded? If it’s too low quality, you’ll just be paying more for cans to hear the compression artifacts.

That said, I really enjoyed my Oppo PM-3 when I had it. The B&O H6 (version 2) also is great. Both are within your budget and can be easily driven off your iPod Touch.

Feb 26, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #4 of 52
If we're going used, you can also probably grab a set of HD6__ (i.e. HD600, HD650, or HD6XX depending on availability and tuning preference) and a DAC-X6 or something similarly inexpensive.

As for an amp if you want to stick with the HD599, you should be fine with just your phone. And the iPod touch is (by most accounts) a pretty good source. If you get them and realize that they're not loud enough, you have two options. The first is to just get an amp to further amplify what's coming out of your iPod. If your headphones aren't loud enough, this should solve that problem. The lower cost units like the FiiO A3 should be fine. The second option is to go with a DAC *and* an amp. This is if you're worried about the audio quality coming from your iPod. This handles all of the conversion from the digital files to the analog signal that goes into your headphones. You can get a combo (both contained within the same housing) or separate units (one item that is just a DAC and one item that is just an amp).

At this price point, my belief is that you're probably better off just sticking to the DAC you have in your iPhone and rolling with an amp only if that output isn't loud enough for you. That way, you get to save some bucks and roll it towards your next pair of headphones.

Feb 26, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #5 of 52
I wouldn't think about the amp until you pick out what cans you want first. After that you could ask the group what would be a suitable amp for it.

I would also make sure the music your listening to is "high enough" quality. I don't think you need to worry about MQA and DSD tracks quite yet ha, but 320kbs should sound decent enough for where your at. obviously you can always go higher if you by music, stream tidal or other streaming apps ect. By the way I have an old ipod (bought in 2006) and I have probably 9 gigs of music on it. Sadly just about all of it is really poor quality (I dont use it). That was the time when more music meant better. definitely not the case!

Also unless you want to spend around $200+ for a dedicated DAC I wouldn't even bother. Your Ipod will have a good enough DAC in it. I would invest more money into the amp, that is if the headphone you choose "needs" it. I put needs in quotes because some headphones are handsomely rewarded by amping, and something like a Grado which is easy to drive doesn't need one as bad.

I think the 599 could be a good place to get your feet wet. Also if you have any legit audio stores where you could demo a bunch of cans with your ipod that would obviously be the best option.

Good luck!:L3000:

Feb 26, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #6 of 52
Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Assuming that the 599 HD are definitely the pair I get, and I'm keeping the iPod Touch, from there how would I go about maximizing the quality of that pair (via whatever amps and adapters would be considered necessary to make the most of their sound)?

Feb 26, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #7 of 52
Well with the 599 rated at 50ohms like @torifile said, you should be good with the sound by plugging right into the iPod.

It looks like it comes with 2 cords so you will be able to plug right into it.

The headphone also seems like a good start. This might be all you will want. If it’s not and you want more after a while then it’s not a huge loss to then sell on here or elsewhere. Just my 2 cents!

Feb 26, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #9 of 52
I'd just order the cans first and then order the A3 if you find your iPod doesn't get it loud enough. After that, if you're happy with them, never come back here and forget about this place forever. Otherwise, you'll find yourself thinking "I could probably swing $4000 for the headphones, but I can't power them with this crap, so that's another $1000" before too long.

Feb 27, 2018 at 6:21 AM Post #10 of 52
Hi Gravitynaut,

Great name by the way.

Few questions for you.

You have many choices for your budget, are you looking primarily for IEM or headphones ?

In no particular order, I can recommend the following :

Audio Technica E-70
Audio Technica MSR 7
Shure 215 SE
Shure SRH 940
Sony WH-1000 X M2 (May be out of your price range but still worth considering)
Meze 12 Classics
Meze 99 Classics (Stock pads may not suit if you wear glasses, ears are large &/odd shaped)
1more Quad

Also, keep in mind since you are a musician, don't be afraid to look at the pro audio side for good deals on some of the recommended above, like Audio Technica & Shure.

As stated by MTMECraig, a headphone amp should be chosen after you decide what your headphones &/or IEMs are.

My first dedicated solid state headphone amp was & I still use it on occasion is a Presonus HP 4, a good value head amp for what it is. (Upgraded since then)

Aside from ipod, if you listen to music on a PC or Mac, consider getting at some point an external USB interface for a soundcard like a Lexicon Alpha or a Focusrite Scarlett, the 2 or 4 channel, ESI has good ones too though don't know models off the top of my head.

Basically you answered your own question regarding line in/line out vs headphone out, most devices generally don't have dedicated line in/line out (they might say they do but usually don't or underpowered) & in most cases headphone out are basically that, amplifying the signal already there, whether it sounds good or not is another story & usually depends how good your source which is why I always say demo with quality sources, especially ones you know well then you can recognise differences to some degree.
Unless, there is some sort of processing, digitial or tube being simplest examples or both, then resulting sound may not be obvious & still largely subjective anyway.
Oppo HA 2 or SE version is a good example of a good amplifier whose analogue signal is good to begin with & the digital signal is even better, just a matter of subjective preference.

In other words, if your source is crap, no amount of amplification or good equipment will correct this.

One last thing, often overlooked, pro audio has many good gear for way less than the consumer side so don't be afraid to look there for possible alternatives if either you don't find something suitable or out of reach.
In the long run, your wallet will thank you & most pro gear lasts a ridiculously long time (Lexicon Alpha which I still use is almost 20 years old & still going strong, not to mention been dropped a few times

If you need more help, don't be afraid to ask.

Feb 27, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #11 of 52
Thanks for the response!

I'm looking primarily for headphones (as opposed to IEM), preferably open-back. I don't think I can afford a higher-quality player yet, and the vast majority of my music is "trapped" on my iPod touch for lack of a better word (my computer died and I can't resync without losing a lot of my music). I've heard conflicting things about the quality of that source, but I'll just leave it as a constant right now.

Would a charging dock with a linein/lineout make much of a difference? Or is that something that you'd have to hear first-hand to figure out?

Feb 27, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #12 of 52
I don't think you need an amp at all.
You generally only need an amp to drive high impedance headphones. The 599's are rated at 50ohms, which is low. In comparison, the top of the line 800's are 300ohms.
That's not entirely true. it's a combination of impedance and efficiency.

Feb 27, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #13 of 52
Thanks for the response!

I'm looking primarily for headphones (as opposed to IEM), preferably open-back. I don't think I can afford a higher-quality player yet, and the vast majority of my music is "trapped" on my iPod touch for lack of a better word (my computer died and I can't resync without losing a lot of my music). I've heard conflicting things about the quality of that source, but I'll just leave it as a constant right now.

Would a charging dock with a linein/lineout make much of a difference? Or is that something that you'd have to hear first-hand to figure out?
Fiio X1 or M3 used could be under 100$, as alternative players with a wider range of playback.

I don't like the 599's for the specific purpose of music. They're generally used for gaming because the imaging and soundstage were prioritized over the sound quality.

If mobility isn't an issue, the Philips Fidelio X2 should be considered. They don't need an amp. The HD6xx + Magni3 or Vali(1 or 2) should fall within budget if you're okay with used. Similarly, the HE400i and Magni should affordable. You could also do the DT880 w/ Fulla 2. lots of options in that price bracket.

Feb 27, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #14 of 52
That's not entirely true. it's a combination of impedance and efficiency.

True, but they're also fairly sensitive. Plus, when comparing dynamic headphones, impedance is a decent stand-in for sensitivity. It's when you throw planars in the mix that you really have to start comparing that.

Additionally, I quite liked the HD 598 (apparently quite similar to the 599) for music. But the preference there is a matter of taste. As for HiFiMan, I'm hesitant to suggest that for somebody new to the hobby, because the last thing I'd want is for him/her to have to deal with warranty claims due to their terrible build quality.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #15 of 52
True, but they're also fairly sensitive. Plus, when comparing dynamic headphones, impedance is a decent stand-in for sensitivity. It's when you throw planars in the mix that you really have to start comparing that.

Additionally, I quite liked the HD 598 (apparently quite similar to the 599) for music. But the preference there is a matter of taste. As for HiFiMan, I'm hesitant to suggest that for somebody new to the hobby, because the last thing I'd want is for him/her to have to deal with warranty claims due to their terrible build quality.
I'm merely trying to maximize the satisfaction of the listener. I won't deny Hifiman has issues, and any aversion to their company is well-founded. But I also think that the sound quality they provide, for the price, is bonkers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back