Newbie recommendations?
Sep 8, 2010 at 2:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

alstrike

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I´ve been reading a lot in these forums and I´m quite overwhelmed by the sheer amount of "best ever cans" out there. I own a pair of HD 555´s since 2007 and they are OK I guess. I found out about the 595 mod yesterday and did it straight away, they do sound really different now. I use them for gaming/music on the computer and to listen to music off my little Sansa Clip+ (Rockboxed), better player will have to wait.

I´m planning to buy a pair of Grados (love the looks) but the economy is not that great atm. I listen to a wide range of music from Damien Rice to classic Metallica, the usual Dre and so on (but no reggaeton!!!).

I´m located in Spain so Grado prices are not that great, well at least not as expensive as in the UK, cheapest I found for the SR:

SR60i = 79 € + 9 € shipping / 112 $
SR80i = 99 € + 9 € shipping / 137 $
SR125i = 150 € + 15 € mini plug + 9 € shipping / 221 $
SR225i = 199 € + 15 € mini plug (free shipping) / 272 $
Alessandro Ms-1s with mini plug 2009 version = 109.99 $ (free shipping?) / 86 €

I´m open to recommendations or advice on any other brands.

Thanks for your help and sorry about the big a** explanation.

Sep 8, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #2 of 19
The MS1s are definitely the best value in that list.  I only really have experience with the SR80s though, so I can't can't really compare SQ.

Sep 8, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #3 of 19

Quote:
The MS1s are definitely the best value in that list. 

Welcome to headfi!
Yeah, i can see they are very expensive there. For few bucks get the MS1's, like maverick said..the best value on that list. 

Suerte Tio... 
biggrin.gif

Sep 8, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #5 of 19
Agreed that the MS1i would be your best bet if you're intent on a Grado. They do have a love-it-or-hate-it sound signature though, though, so keep it mind that it may or may not be your cup of tea.

Sep 8, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #6 of 19
MS1i are definitely the best value in Europe, as far as Grado cans go.
Another advantage is that you may want to invest the price difference in new pads (HD414, bowls or flats), headband, etc to tweak the sound and comfort.

Sep 8, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #7 of 19
I´m looking for a set of cans that can deliver a really "crisp" sound, I really like Damien Rice´s guitar songs and with the 555 they are not that "clear". I was listening to Alice in Chains´ "Down in a Hole" this afternoon in flac format and it was awesome on the 555´s so I can´t imagine how good that can sound on the Grados.

I might get the SR80i´s and get the yellow HD414 pads, some metal mesh for custom grills and maybe some good cable. By the way, any of you guys in the forums does headphone modding? I might waste the cans trying to mod them. I´ve read about SpudHarris but I think he only does recable work, right?

Thanks for the help fellas

Sep 9, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #8 of 19
 I use them for gaming/music on the computer and to listen to music off my little Sansa Clip+ (Rockboxed), better player will have to wait.

If you have a clip+ rockbox'd then IMHO wait as long as you like... you will struggle to find a better sounding player without spending a couple of hundred Euro's.

Sep 10, 2010 at 4:13 AM Post #10 of 19
Well it seems that the choice might be the SR80i's in the end, however I just found some brand new AKG K701's for the price of the SR225i's. Will this be a good choice, I heard wonderful/hateful things about the AKG and that I should drive them with an amp.

I've seen of these little amps CmoyBB 2.02 and it's really impressive, probably will get one and maybe try it out with the SR80i' and 701's in some store before deciding.

Cheers

Sep 10, 2010 at 4:43 AM Post #11 of 19
Nice one alstrike. I would advise that in a shop audition, the Grados are likely to win out as they are more forward and bright and immediately impressive. The AKGs take longer to get used to, hence all of the reports of their long 'burn in' time.

Sep 10, 2010 at 5:56 AM Post #12 of 19
So you think the K701's are a solid choice with one of those CmoyBB´s? They really look well built.

I have 2 options:

- Sell my HD 555's and get the K701's / Sr225i's + CmoyBB 2.02.

- Keep my HD 555's and get the SR80i + CmoyBB 2.02

Sep 10, 2010 at 6:19 AM Post #13 of 19
If I could only get my CMOY BB to work I could truthfully answer that question. But since a FiiO E5 can get the AKGs going there should be no issue. If you can audition, I would do that over any recommendation.

Sep 11, 2010 at 11:18 AM Post #14 of 19
Well thanks to this "wallet vacuum" of a forum I´m starting to think "big time" instead of what I need...

Probably won´t get the CmoyBB because I´dont think it´s gonna go well in my pocket. I might just get a Fiio E7, the retail package has all the stuff I need, although I have read mixed reviews over here.

I´m torn between some mid-hi series: K-601 (135 €) and SR125i (150 € + 15 € Grado 1/8" jack)
and the high series: K-701 (210 €) and the SR225i (199 € + 15 € Grado 1/8" jack).

For gaming I think I´m gonna stick with the HD555 If I end up getting the either one of the Grados. I mostly listen to rock so that´s one in SR's favor, however I really like the AKG's finish and they look really comfy (except the bumps).

Can the Fiio E7 drive the K601/K701 properly? I don´t have money to buy an iBasso or a Little Dot so I´scared of falling short If I get the AKG along with an entry level amp.

Anyone interested in some HD555 to help fundraising? 
darthsmile.gif
  Guess I'll end up getting the Sr80i and save quite some €€€.

Sep 11, 2010 at 1:00 PM Post #15 of 19
The SR80 is a superb headphone and both it and the K70x will be driven by the FiiO fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back