Newbie, new setup
Nov 16, 2010 at 11:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Maknut

New Head-Fier
So, I am looking to upgrade the quality of my portable audio situation. have both and iPod 6th 80 gb classic and an HTC Evo. My current plan of attack is to switch over to the Evo as my portable player, instead of having the iPod as a dedicated device (seemingly redundant). (Side note: I would be buying an extra battery and a 32 gb micro sd card) Anywho, in regards to audio quality upgrade, I would be getting a pair of AKG K 142 HD headphones and NuForce Icon mobile headphone amp. I have several questions: Can the Evo play audio out of the micro usb port, and, if so, can i then take advantage of the Icon Mobile's DAC for even higher quality sound? Assuming all of this is possible, would a simple USB 2.0 female to micro USB male adapter work? (I am assuming they exist) I have heard mention of splitters for the micro USB port on HTC phones, allowing both charging and audio output. Any recommendations on hardware appreciated. keep in mind I am in no way an audiophile, and therefore have only a better-then-most knowledge of audio, and am NOT willing to shell out the big bucks for premium equipment, not yet anyways. 

Nov 17, 2010 at 1:23 AM Post #2 of 7
After doing some research, you can play audio out of the USB on the Evo. 

Nov 17, 2010 at 2:43 AM Post #4 of 7
Nov 17, 2010 at 11:16 AM Post #5 of 7
Ah.  You'll want to read that a bit more closely.  I found two solutions that they recommended: 1) get the stereo to mount the EVO as a USB mass storage device, and have the stereo play the music instead, 2) use a bluetooth A2DP connection.  Neither of these are what you asked for.

Unless the HTC EVO supports USB OTG and supports the USB Audio profile, running a USB Audio device isn't going to happen.  An easy way to check if it supports OTG is to connect a USB flash drive to it.  It seems that this is usually where people start with OTG support.  If it doesn't recognize the flash drive, then either the hardware or the software on the EVO is missing something critical.

You may have better luck with a bluetooth bridge.

Nov 17, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #6 of 7
Some posters on that other forum were complaining that they had to control the music from the Evo instead of on their automobile's respective head unit. Seems to me this is exactly what I want? I suppose a call the HTC tech support is in order...

Nov 17, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #7 of 7
that sounds more like they are getting analog audio through the port on the phone. Like if you bought a headphone adapter for it. 

That's how my G1 works anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back