Newbie: IEMs with ipod
Aug 20, 2012 at 6:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Mannyboi

New Head-Fier
Hello guys I am a slightly more casual audiophile, and I have a pair of decent IEMs (Shure SE535s), I usually run them straight from my Iphone with Apple Lossless files. I don't want to go with something big like the NuForce iDo, but with a pair of IEMs, would I notice much of a quality difference between the straight jack and a setup with something like the Go Vibe Portable USB DAC and maybe a FIIO E6 AMP? 

Thanks

Aug 20, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #2 of 7
I think you would hear a 15% gain in sound quality by using a good DAC/Amp combo.  The soundstage widens a tad and the overall presentation tightens up a bit.  The bass is not quite as sloppy when you use a low output impedance amp.

Is there a particular reason you are looking for improvement?  The SE535 has a tad bit of roll of in the treble, but this is typically a good thing.  It allows the IEM to not sound too bright and fatiguing.

Aug 20, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:
Hello guys I am a slightly more casual audiophile, and I have a pair of decent IEMs (Shure SE535s), I usually run them straight from my Iphone with Apple Lossless files. I don't want to go with something big like the NuForce iDo, but with a pair of IEMs, would I notice much of a quality difference between the straight jack and a setup with something like the Go Vibe Portable USB DAC and maybe a FIIO E6 AMP? 

Thanks

What model iPhone?

I have the iPhone4 and a set of SE535 Ltd Ed.  I've compared them exhaustively from the H/P out vs with an Arrow 4G and a Fiio E11 (when I had it).  Because the 535 Ltd Eds are so sensitive - I had to be very careful with channel imbalance with the Arrow - I needed to have the volume really low on the pot otherwise it was simply too loud.

There was no significant difference from my testing between the 535 Ltd Ed out of the HP out vs either of the two amps.  The E11 added a little un-needed warmth.  Both added the opportunity to hardware EQ (bass boost etc).  Both also added unecessary bulk for no real gain in SQ.

IMO ......
Both the iPhone 4/4s (and 3) have very low output impedence and also quite decent sounding dacs (clean and linear).  The SE535 Ltd Ed (and by the specs - the SE535) are very sensitive and low impedence.  So they don't actually need an amp - it adds very little if anything.

I think one of the biggest problem with inexperienced people adding their first amp is that they don't volume match when comparing amped vs unamped.  If the amp is sending a louder signal, they immediately hear a "night and day difference" - bass is better, it's much clearer etc etc.  What they're actually hearing is a volume difference - nothing more.

NA Blur is correct - amping an under-driven headphone will assist - especially with clearer and more defined bass.  I use my Arrow with both my K701 and DT880s - and there are definite differences.  But IMO you don't need an amp for the 535s.  If you want to play with something cheap - grab a Fiio E6 - at least it won't break the bank.  But you'd bet better adding a parametric equaliser app to your iPhone (I use Equaliser, Equ is also good) - it has far more benefit, is cheaper, and won't take up space in your pocket.

As far as a 15% benefit adding an amp to an iPhone 3/4/4s when paired with the SE535 ...... other headphones maybe - respectfully with SE535 I'd disagree (from my own experience).

Aug 20, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #4 of 7
Most IEM's will be fine from the HP out of an iPhone 4. The iPhone 4 is low impedance and has been shown to have an almost perfectly flat response. All 3 of my current IEM's are driven perfectly fine with just the headphone out. The iPhone 4 has plenty of power to drive them all way louder than id ever listen. I am usually right at the halfway mark on the volume.

Aug 21, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

NA Blur is correct - amping an under-driven headphone will assist - especially with clearer and more defined bass.  I use my Arrow with both my K701 and DT880s - and there are definite differences.  But IMO you don't need an amp for the 535s.  If you want to play with something cheap - grab a Fiio E6 - at least it won't break the bank.  But you'd bet better adding a parametric equaliser app to your iPhone (I use Equaliser, Equ is also good) - it has far more benefit, is cheaper, and won't take up space in your pocket.

What exactly would the parametric equalizer help with?

I have an IPhone 4s, and I had a suspicion that external Amps/Dacs had little effect on the IEM sound quality. I have mainly heard that the external solution mainly help with High impedance phones like HD650s. I love the sound that comes out of the SE 535s now, and I tried my friends Fiio E6 yesterday, but it didn't seem like much of a difference to me, I wasn't sure if I was doing something wrong though. I did hear it louder as you said, I thought most of the EQ settings on it were pretty useless as well.
Thanks guys.

Aug 21, 2012 at 5:57 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

What exactly would the parametric equalizer help with?

The inbuilt equaliser on the iPhone / iPod is inherently awful.  With a parametric equaliser you can pinpoint adjust the sound to suit you.  Whilst I don't really use it any more for the SE535 LE, I did use it for the SE425 when I owned them - mainly to give them a little sparkle (the rolled off highs were my only annoyance).

However if you already love the tone of your SE535 - then you won't need an EQ at all.

Enjoy your set-up :)

Aug 26, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #7 of 7
Cool, many thanks for the information folks !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back