Newbie Here
Oct 29, 2012 at 8:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

JapanrotE46

New Head-Fier
Hey guys first off i would like to thank all the members on this forum for the vast amount of helpful information and reviews. I in no way consider myself a hardcore audiophile but I do enjoy high quality sound in my headphones, home setup, and car. I recently decided that I was going to be in the market for a good set of cans, then I stumbled upon this amazing site called head-fi which not only helped me make a decision on what I was truly looking for in set of good cans but it educated me a great deal in everything sound. After countless days of careful reading I now found myself in the market for a desktop amp in addition to the cans. Well long story short I decided to pull the trigger on the HiFiMAN EF2A and the Audio Technica MTH-A50 based on reviews and attractive price. I received the amp 2 days before the m50's came in. I decided to plug in some "WESC BASS" headphone which i received as a gift and wasn't impressed with and automatically I was blown away. Today my m50's came and now I'm speechless pre burn in and at normal listening volume. I can already see into the future that this site will be costing me a great deal of money but I have a feeling it will be worth it. If anyone has any advice or recommendations for a newbie I would very appreciative. 

Oct 29, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:
 If anyone has any advice or recommendations for a newbie I would very appreciative. 

Heya,

Prepare to get rid of those M50's and get a serious headphone.

Otherwise, secondary advice, enjoy your setup and music and don't read threads here at Head-Fi, otherwise, you'll start to want newer, bigger, more powerful robust amplifiers for headphones that don't need amplification (M50 for example), a cable upgrade (because it will widen sound stage some how magically), a more transparent and true DAC, and then finally you might actually just buy a flagship headphone, or extensively want to modify a really low end entry model headphone because many will claim they are in the same league as a true flagship once modded.

Very best,

Oct 29, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #7 of 15
Heya,

Prepare to get rid of those M50's and get a serious headphone.

Otherwise, secondary advice, enjoy your setup and music and don't read threads here at Head-Fi, otherwise, you'll start to want newer, bigger, more powerful robust amplifiers for headphones that don't need amplification (M50 for example), a cable upgrade (because it will widen sound stage some how magically), a more transparent and true DAC, and then finally you might actually just buy a flagship headphone, or extensively want to modify a really low end entry model headphone because many will claim they are in the same league as a true flagship once modded.

Very best,
Be prepared to spend lots on audio gear. 
I have came to that conclusion as well haha.
Hey thanks for the advice, I definalty agree with you about wanting bigger and better things. I have always been like that with cars and car parts. As for the m50's at this point I am happy with them for certain things but I will be in the market for some open back cans. Any advice on the best bang for the buck and a price tag which isn't out of this world?

Oct 29, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #12 of 15
Dang, i meant open backs. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #14 of 15
And so it begins...

Hifiman HE-400

Very best,

When I read this I couldn't help but laugh. I have the DT 990 pros and the DT 880 premium and I still want a better open back headphone before I even get a closed back.

And to prove how much you will spend on gear my friend got 1300 for financial aid last week and bought K1000 for 1212 the same day. Good to have you in the community but sorry at the same time.

Good luck
Shiori

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #15 of 15
When I read this I couldn't help but laugh. I have the DT 990 pros and the DT 880 premium and I still want a better open back headphone before I even get a closed back.
And to prove how much you will spen on gear my friend got 1300 for financial aid last week and bought K1000 for 1212 the same day. Good to have you in the community but sorry at the same time.
Good luck
Shiori

High quality sound is always more important that education lol:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back