Newbie here, looking to step it up and start listening
Dec 27, 2010 at 11:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

JorgenMeathooks

New Head-Fier
Hey there,

I've always enjoyed music, but have never had the opportunity to own a good pair of headphones. At one point, I purchased some SkullCandy Skullcrushers. I thought they were the greatest headphones ever. I know, I know, laugh. You can laugh harder knowing I was totally crushed when they broke 2 weeks later.

Anyway, that was the first time I was able to purchase some good headphones, and knowing what I do now I obviously wasted my chance on something that just looks good.

A little under a year ago, I got some Sony MDR-V150 headphones. They were comfortable and I enjoyed them, but they just didn't sound great (for $14, I wasn't expecting a lot). A couple months ago, I ordered a pair of Koss Portapros. For the price and quality, pure bliss, at least to virgin ears...well, once-virgin ears that were raped by Skullcrushers. They were clearer and had more real-feeling bass (pardon my lack of Audiophile jargon, for I know none). 

Now, I would like to move up some more. I have been eying the Sennheiser HD555's (possibly HD595's if I could get a bit more money).

I know Sennheiser is a good brand, I've heard it from many many people, but I have been unable to demo a pair of that particular model, so I am not 100% certain if I want them. 

What I would like to know is: Are they worth it? Is there something in the same price range ($100-150) that is better? Any that are great for music, but can be good for gaming?

I like bass, but not too heavy. More like, I can feel the music, but not like it's smashing bricks into my head. 

Any suggestions? 

Also, please excuse my naivety and inexperienced attitude. I do not know how to describe what exactly I'm looking for.

Dec 29, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #3 of 5
[size=10pt]Welcome to Head Fi by the way! The HD555 are an excellent first choice as they work well most genres of music and with their rather large soundstage make them pretty good for gaming as well.  While the bass is tight and well controlled, you might find it just a bit laking, especailly coming from using Skullcadies.  Now some additional recomendations for ya:[/size]

[size=10pt]Audio-Tecnica ATH-M50, A700, AD700[/size]

[size=10pt]Beyerdyanmic DT 440[/size]

[size=10pt]Denon AH-D1100 [/size]

Dec 30, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #4 of 5
What about those suggestions might make them better, or worse, than the HD555?

Without being able to try each one and compare them myself, I would like to know the pros and cons of each, which you would pick and why. Just so I can figure things out a bit easier. 

Dec 30, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
What about those suggestions might make them better, or worse, than the HD555?

Without being able to try each one and compare them myself, I would like to know the pros and cons of each, which you would pick and why. Just so I can figure things out a bit easier. 

The AD700 won't really suit your wanting of bass. The A700 might though. They have a large soundstage for a closed headphone (so they're good enough for gaming. They do have recessed and colored mids though, which I didn't really like. Bass was a bit too muddy for me, so I opened them up and damped them to my liking, which they readily to, which could make them a pretty good option for you.
I've only spent a little time with the M50s in random stores that I plugged my player in, but from what I've heard, they aren't worth all the hype, especially at $150, where there are a bit more choices. They just sounded totally off to me. They were balanced, well a slight (maybe more than slight. But my DAP is incredibly warm to begin with.) V curve, and I expected a lot more from them. I won't delve further because I don't own them, but just to put an objective view in contrast to all the hype.
What kind of music do you listen to? And where are you going to plug it in?

Oh, and I felt the Senns were incredibly underwhelming. They have nice soundstage, and were balanced, I guess, but lack the bass you want, so you could probably do better for your tastes.

There's the Sony XB700. They have pretty big bass that goes silly deep for the price ($70, if you're lucky), if a bit uncontrolled. The mids were recessed, and the treble was a bit too relaxed for my liking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back