Newbie - help required Please
Nov 18, 2012 at 3:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Justcallmegreg

New Head-Fier
Hi guys

I'm after your expert advice if possible.

Have just got an iPhone 5, and am wanting some new headphones for Xmas. They are from my kids so don't have a large budget but have narrowed it down to 3 units.

Sennheiser hd201, Panasonic RP-HTX7AE or akg k450.

I listen to all sorts of music and as I work in a cd shop I have literally every genre on my iTunes, but mainly listen to indie rock and occasionally r&b (beyonce etc)

Really hope you guys can help :)

Thanks
Greg

Nov 18, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #2 of 7
Well, this is a little bit of a hard choice sense all of those aren't very good (in my audiophile opinion). If I had to, I would pick the Panasonic ones. The HD201s have volume troubles (not being loud enough) and the K450s I just don't like because I've always hated on-ear headphones. Plus, the bass on them is extremely overpowered and it overshadows all of the other frequencies. The Panasonics are a little bit more balanced and have the best sound of the three, but they don't isolate very well so if you need them for traveling purposes, they won't do very well. But that would be my choice.

Nov 18, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the quick reply :)

I won't be using them on trains etc, but it would probably annoy my wife is she could hear my music when she's watching vampire diaries :wink: but its not a deal breaker !

I forgot to say that the jvc ha rx 500 was also being considered, would you say they are better than the panasonics?

Naturally if you have any better suggestions than what I have mentioned I'd love to hear them :)

Thanks again

Nov 18, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #4 of 7
I've never really tried those, so I don't know if they'd be better. If I were you, I would actually consider thinking about the Sennheiser HD429. You can find them for around $80 retail, but they're listed here for $60. You might want to check them out, and I think that they're better than all 4 of those that you have mentioned. They have the most balanced sound out of them, and I think are probably best for what you like. They don't have a lot of bass, like a lot of Sennheiser supra-aural headphones, but equalizing it can help a lot. Again, these don't provide any isolation either, due to their open-back design.

Nov 18, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #5 of 7
For the $30-50 price range, I'd get the Panasonic RP-HTF600. They're good headphones for the price and can be driven by any portable devices. Keep in mind that they're semi-open though the sound leakage is not very noticeable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back