Newbe Synergy synergy HD590's, MF X-can v2's, and great FM source!
Jun 24, 2011 at 9:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

gilbodavid

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm a relative newbe here, though a long term audiophool.

I was using a Richard Brice class a headphone amp with the hd590's, results were very good, especially with strings in orchestral music, the best i have ever heard recorded strings.

Then bought a used x-can v2, and the sound is TOTALLY different. Strings may not be quite as good, but the organic quality, soundstaging, dynamics, quality of bass treble and mids and musicality are to my ears stunning.

Now on FM radio 3 world music sounds absolutely amazing - in many ways better than any of my hifi systems over the years (eg one thing audio esl57's & Lowther horns, with high end croft amplification, $4000 cd player, fully modded Lenco tt, and Sansui TU-717 tuner). My Sansui tuner on radio 3 FM has been, at its best, a better quality source for me than my tt or cd player

I am amazed how good this little system is, especially at the price I paid used. I know the 590's have been slated by most here, and the 650's are supposed to be so much better (i haven't got the funds to investigate this), but others have said that the x-can v2 has great synergy with sennheiser cans, and I can well believe this.

reading many threads here where views of a particular headphone can be so wildly different, I do wonder if amp synergy, source and style of music listened to have a huge bearing. I at present am struggling to imagine better sound quality. i have had a small experience with TOTL Stax headphones and hd-650's at audio fairs, and they have never sounded as good to me as my present set-up.

Is it synergy, or my warped memory? I'm not sure, but I'm really enjoying the music, and wondering if speakers could be made to sound as good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back