New- Zishan Z1 DSD player thread
Jul 4, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #976 of 1,364
I think he meant to say that sometimes renaming aac to m4a works. So Might try on other format also. IMO

I'm sure this should have been covered here already, but if not...

Aiff and wav are just the containers for PCM data.

While the container is different (for example, .wav file can have timecode embedded, but cannot store artwork like .aiff), the audio data within in the container is EXACTLY the same.

File extensions identifie files as audio files to application, so they could be opened/played, but once the file is opened extension is of no consequence, but the flag identifying the start of PCM data (and headers/metadata) is. I suspect embedded OS's handle it differently, though.

Try a little experiment: change the extension of an .aif file to .wav and open it say in VLC. It will be played back just fine (even if the header is placed differently within those two file formats).

There WAS a chance that Z1 can handle .aif file playback, but does not recognise the extension as audio file extention and ignores them, unfortunately it currently cannot.

SOME players are known to produce bursts of noise when they try to play headers and metadata as audio (i.e. Walnut), we should consider ourselves lucky to not to have such an issue with Z1.

As has been previously suggested, XLD is a good free mac application to handle the conversion, the resulting files will be bit perfect:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/xld/

My apology because I had tried what you did there on my MAC however the file will not playback anymore unless I change it back to its default extension..... just to confirm, if my music file was originally .wav then it is definately able to be played back on Zishan Z1?

Jul 4, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #977 of 1,364
VLC is a bad example because no matter what the file format is it on the filename, it will open then read it accordingly to what it actually is.
There must be some small differences between aif and wav in metadata? Imo convert to flac is nice because you save space and quality is similar

Jul 4, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #978 of 1,364
VLC is a bad example because no matter what the file format is it on the filename, it will open then read it accordingly to what it actually is.
There must be some small differences between aif and wav in metadata? Imo convert to flac is nice because you save space and quality is similar
One should also consider that converting to .WAV is faster than converting to FLAC, since there's no compression, and the battery life could also benefit from this (no decompression needed=>less battery consumption). So, if storage isn't a problem, .WAV is a valid option.

Jul 4, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #979 of 1,364
My apology because I had tried what you did there on my MAC however the file will not playback anymore unless I change it back to its default extension..... just to confirm, if my music file was originally .wav then it is definately able to be played back on Zishan Z1?
I don't have the answer maybe others can pitch in. In my understanding Zishan firmware is not quite basic like walnut but not quite flexible like modern linux base DAP or computer os. So there'll be some limitation.

In windows if the player can operate in directshow and it will try to playback accordingly, As long as it's extensions registered / considered a media. Mac probably have their own rules. Not sure.

No so much in limited firmware like Zishan. But perhaps it can recognize some form of common flexibility. Last I read it can play aac but in m4a not aac extension. But I guess aac and m4a aren't that different in container structure. Not sure how different wav and aiff is.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #980 of 1,364
TB2ic0gdr_0UKFjy1XaXXbKfXXa_%21%21282330674.bmp

v.03 firmware adds .m4a playback, both lossy and lossless, but in my experience lossless m4a @ 96k and above stutters.

Jul 4, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #981 of 1,364
Oh wow, I've been quiet for a while now (vacation, lots of work) but now I've got to share some new impressions with you.

I just got the LME49720HA and the Muses02 today. Tried the LME first. It's good. Pretty good, especially for that pricetag but oh boy, those where some 46$ well spent on the Muses02. This little Opamp is phenomenal. I yet hat to compare it to my Oppo HA-2 (my go to DAC, as soon as I'm stationary) but I'm already very very impressed.

Bass
Nice and tight, not punchy, very relaxed and very nice

Mids

C R Y S T A L clear and perfectly defined. This is impressive!

Highs

Clear, a bit laid back, very enjoyable, not hot or sibilant at all (in contrary to the LME, imho).

Just some quick tasting notes.

Cheers :)
Could you tell us what iem / headphone you're using ? This muses02 seems interesting :)

Jul 4, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #982 of 1,364
Hi All,

After trying Burson V5i, muses8820, muses02, muses8920, opa627, Opa827, opa2604, lm4562, opa1642, opa1612, opa2107, lme49720ha, ada4627, ad825 and LT1057 I finally settled on the LT1028 which gives me the most satisfying experience on my HD650, K712 Pro and Fostex T20rp mk3.

LT1028 is a very musical warm sounding opamp with fine detail and subtle highs that is very synergetic with zishan Z1.
The V5i, all Muses and lme49720ha have (to) much detail and become to clinical to my liking.

Regards,

Louis

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #983 of 1,364
Hi all.
someone can help me?
I have some problem with zishan z1 power issue.
My mobile phone battery drains so fast if I use zishan as external DAC
Looks like my phone charging zishan

My setup Only use otg converter and mainstream usb cable

Jul 4, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #984 of 1,364
Just as a side note, on mac if you aren't already Using Nightingale you should. Amazing absolutely free Music playing.

Jul 5, 2017 at 1:00 AM Post #986 of 1,364
Hi All,

After trying Burson V5i, muses8820, muses02, muses8920, opa627, Opa827, opa2604, lm4562, opa1642, opa1612, opa2107, lme49720ha, ada4627, ad825 and LT1057 I finally settled on the LT1028 which gives me the most satisfying experience on my HD650, K712 Pro and Fostex T20rp mk3.

LT1028 is a very musical warm sounding opamp with fine detail and subtle highs that is very synergetic with zishan Z1.
The V5i, all Muses and lme49720ha have (to) much detail and become to clinical to my liking.

Regards,

Louis
LT1028, is a single op-amp while lme49720 is a dual op-amp, did you use a carrier to fit in two soic LT1028?

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2017 at 1:53 AM Post #988 of 1,364
Correct, for single channel soic like opa627, opa827, ada4627, ad825 and lt1028 I soldered two of each on soic to dip adapters for dual channel operation.
You've got almost a complete lineup of opamps for rolling. I'm curious can opamp rolling of your preferred ic in the list match the sound quality of an advance dap?

Jul 5, 2017 at 4:07 AM Post #989 of 1,364
i just got my Zishan Z1 yesterday, but is the volume really overpower? i need only increase the volume like just a lil 2-3 degree and the sound already quite loud.. i tried maxing the volume and my earbuds are playing like speaker haha.. (buds not in my ear btw, i placed it away)

Jul 5, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #990 of 1,364
i just got my Zishan Z1 yesterday, but is the volume really overpower? i need only increase the volume like just a lil 2-3 degree and the sound already quite loud.. i tried maxing the volume and my earbuds are playing like speaker haha.. (buds not in my ear btw, i placed it away)
this concern me as well. How much ohm your iem / earbud rated? Mine still en route

Users who are viewing this thread

Back