New- Zishan Z1 DSD player thread
Jul 3, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #963 of 1,364
hey guys, anyone here has Samsung note 4 and z1, I wanna to pair it with my LZ a4 and will have a mix of flac and 320k mp3 files, will it be an upgrade over my note 4. also I am no modding expert, is the stock omp is good enough, and whats the cheapest omp upgrade for the z1.

Jul 3, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #964 of 1,364
hey guys, anyone here has Samsung note 4 and z1, I wanna to pair it with my LZ a4 and will have a mix of flac and 320k mp3 files, will it be an upgrade over my note 4. also I am no modding expert, is the stock omp is good enough, and whats the cheapest omp upgrade for the z1.
I'd say it's the LME49720HA if you like more detail and clarity, or the OPA2604 if you like it a bit warmer (still pretty detailed). LME is about $8, OPA about $4. And yes, both upgrades are really worth it!

Jul 4, 2017 at 12:57 AM Post #966 of 1,364
I'd say it's the LME49720HA if you like more detail and clarity, or the OPA2604 if you like it a bit warmer (still pretty detailed). LME is about $8, OPA about $4. And yes, both upgrades are really worth it!

And you think my note 4 wouldn't be even close in comparison.

Jul 4, 2017 at 1:18 AM Post #967 of 1,364
Jul 4, 2017 at 2:36 AM Post #969 of 1,364
Will Zishan Z1 support .aiff /.aif file in the future update... if not then will have to reconvert all my cd to .wma which is a huge pain in the ass...?
Not WMA, but either WAV (lossless uncompressed, like AIFF) or FLAC or ALAC (lossless compressed).

Jul 4, 2017 at 5:36 AM Post #974 of 1,364
You are not suppose to change the extension of the track in such a way.... what you should do is use an audio converter to convert from .aiff to .wav .
I think he meant to say that sometimes renaming aac to m4a works. So Might try on other format also. IMO

Jul 4, 2017 at 6:30 AM Post #975 of 1,364
I'm sure this should have been covered here already, but if not...

Aiff and wav are just the containers for PCM data.

While the container is different (for example, .wav file can have timecode embedded, but cannot store artwork like .aiff), the audio data within in the container is EXACTLY the same.

File extensions identifie files as audio files to application, so they could be opened/played, but once the file is opened extension is of no consequence, but the flag identifying the start of PCM data (and headers/metadata) is. I suspect embedded OS's handle it differently, though.

Try a little experiment: change the extension of an .aif file to .wav and open it say in VLC. It will be played back just fine (even if the header is placed differently within those two file formats).

There WAS a chance that Z1 can handle .aif file playback, but does not recognise the extension as audio file extention and ignores them, unfortunately it currently cannot.

SOME players are known to produce bursts of noise when they try to play headers and metadata as audio (i.e. Walnut), we should consider ourselves lucky to not to have such an issue with Z1.

As has been previously suggested, XLD is a good free mac application to handle the conversion, the resulting files will be bit perfect:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/xld/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back