New- Zishan Z1 DSD player thread
Jun 29, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #946 of 1,364
Great :deadhorse:

I remember you spoke of replacing the pot. 2/3 down on this page maxkur shows a new one (RK097), and I think the following posts describe that the direction changes, but not sure if something is lost in translation.

I've changed all caps in both of mine now, 4 x nichicon kz in the second one, and output resistors gone in that one too. I can't find any negative effect from removing the resistors completely when used with 32ohm buds, but I don't know what to listen for. If the risk is that the bass is rolled off it seems not; I've played some testtones and with emx500 I get 20Hz quite clearly and at the same level on both z1's. And nothing gets warm inside.

Edit: sorry did'nt realize I have 220uF at the output of the one with no resistors

I've got a 10K Log taper pot to go in the Z1 - but the main mod will be to swap the circuit etches going to the pot, so that Clockwise Rotation = Volume UP.

If I swap capacitors, I'm going to stick with values that are small enough that the case can still be closed.

Jun 29, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #947 of 1,364
That would be great if the next firmware will have random playback in a folder.
I tried the jrc4558 opamp and the sound is quite engaging with tighter bass, the cost is lil bit of soundstage :)

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2017 at 2:45 AM Post #949 of 1,364
Got my Z1 in the mail today...
Strangely enough the sound is radically different when playing a tune from internal card and when using it as a DAC with computer via USB.
Playing from computer sounds OK - correction, lacks low end, using as DAP is a completely different story, messy sound, significant attenuation of high frequencies.
Has anyone else got similar issue?

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2017 at 2:49 AM Post #950 of 1,364
Got my Z1 in the mail today...
Strangely enough the sound is radically different when playing a tune from internal card and when using it as a DAC with computer via USB.
Playing from computer sounds OK, using as DAP is a completely different story, messy sound, significant attenuation of high frequencies.
Has anyone else got similar issue?
I think it plays much louder as a dac. But based on your description is sounds broken to me

Jun 30, 2017 at 3:02 AM Post #951 of 1,364
Jul 1, 2017 at 1:54 AM Post #954 of 1,364
So do you choose 4558 rather than 5532 then?
Yes and no. In fact I find the stock opamp quite good. When I want more focus sound, then I choose jrc4558. For more relax and smooth sound, I go for ne5532

Jul 1, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #957 of 1,364
I want to buy a DAP and I've been trying to catch up on this thread -- people are saying the muses02 opamp is expensive. I found this reasonable priced muses02: https://goo.gl/dp7BsK. Is it fake?

Oh that's scary!
count_floyd.gif

Jul 2, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #958 of 1,364
Anyone suffer from random drop out and reboot while being used as a dap? I do since as few weeks. Happens especially when I'm on the move and it is in my pocket.
On another note, I do love more and more the z1 with Burson. I feel like the veil have went off with full burn in. I demoed some $1000+dap at audio store the other day. While sound is remarkably good. I'd say the z1 sound is "extremely" decent.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2017 at 6:16 AM Post #960 of 1,364
Oh wow, I've been quiet for a while now (vacation, lots of work) but now I've got to share some new impressions with you.

I just got the LME49720HA and the Muses02 today. Tried the LME first. It's good. Pretty good, especially for that pricetag but oh boy, those where some 46$ well spent on the Muses02. This little Opamp is phenomenal. I yet hat to compare it to my Oppo HA-2 (my go to DAC, as soon as I'm stationary) but I'm already very very impressed.

Bass
Nice and tight, not punchy, very relaxed and very nice

Mids

C R Y S T A L clear and perfectly defined. This is impressive!

Highs

Clear, a bit laid back, very enjoyable, not hot or sibilant at all (in contrary to the LME, imho).

Just some quick tasting notes.

Cheers :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back