New- Zishan Z1 DSD player thread
Jun 21, 2017 at 6:21 AM Post #826 of 1,364
I think mine are the same only silmic ii.
Crap. :triportsad:

My mod is ruined before it began, I was supposed to get Hi-Fi Audio SILMIC II, not a plain vanilla SILMICs :darthsmile:

... and the op-amps I've ordered are most likely fake anyway, unless they have been salvaged from a written-off fax from mid-80's :floatsmile:

Regardless, could anyone in the know put together some easy to follow mods instructions, it would be awesome and higly appreciated!

Jun 21, 2017 at 6:26 AM Post #828 of 1,364
Crap. :triportsad:

My mod is ruined before it began, I was supposed to get Hi-Fi Audio SILMIC II, not a plain vanilla SILMICs :darthsmile:

... and the op-amps I've ordered are most likely fake anyway, unless they have been salvaged from a written-off fax from mid-80's :floatsmile:

Regardless, could anyone in the know put together some easy to follow mods instructions, it would be awesome and higly appreciated!
I think some prefer silmic i to ii, so I think not to worry :beyersmile:

Jun 21, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #829 of 1,364
Got another z1 today, and have been comparing for an hour. Must say that with the combined effect of better caps + better opamp z1 is on another level.

To my ears the effect of other caps is on a similar level to a change of opamp.

Was a bit surprised that opa2604 besides more powerful bass has clearer mids than the stock 5532P (with caps being equal).

If you're already messing with the opamp I really recommend changing the 4 caps too.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #830 of 1,364
Got another z1 today, and have been comparing for an hour. Must say that with the combined effect of better caps + better opamp z1 is on another level.

To my ears the effect of other caps is on a similar level to a change of opamp.

Was a bit surprised that opa2604 besides more powerful bass has clearer mids than the stock 5532P (with caps being equal).

If you're already messing with the opamp I really recommend changing the 4 caps too.
So you used Silmic II to replace all your caps in Z1? Same values? Were they the same physical size as the ones that were in there?

Jun 21, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #831 of 1,364
What I'm hoping is that one day maybe you guys agree more or less on some optimal mod/mods, as currently it is a little experimenting and in different directions :dt880smile:

That is not the engineering mind. Nothing is perfect, nothing is complete. Design is only released by external forces. Leave a designer alone with no deadlines, no requirements, no budget...it will never be completed.

Bob-Pease-Breadboard.jpg

Jun 21, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #833 of 1,364
In my Walnut V2, I reduced the output resistance. This really improves bass control even with 150 ohms headphones and increases the volume.
If you just put the jumper instead of the resistors were distortion. With 10 Ohm, everything is fine, but you also need to increase the capacitance of the output capacitors to 470 μF. It is also desirable to use an operational amplifier with a high output current. I use the LM6172 with 50mA and it works well with 32 Ohm headphones.
Then I found a way to remove the resistors and to avoid distortion I applied snubber (serial connection opamp output - resistor - capacitor - GND). I selected the components of the snubber by ear and the best result was obtained with 5 Ohm resistors and 0.22 μF film capacitors. The 32 Ohm headphones began to sound even better compared to the 10 ohm output.

For my V2 I think I am capable to attempt the 10ohm resister swap, the snubber part I am confused

Can you confirm if I use 10ohm resistor and 470uF output caps, there is no distortion? Thanks!

Ps I wonder if I can do the same to a Z1

Jun 21, 2017 at 10:30 PM Post #835 of 1,364
In my Walnut V2, I reduced the output resistance. This really improves bass control even with 150 ohms headphones and increases the volume.
If you just put the jumper instead of the resistors were distortion. With 10 Ohm, everything is fine, but you also need to increase the capacitance of the output capacitors to 470 μF. It is also desirable to use an operational amplifier with a high output current. I use the LM6172 with 50mA and it works well with 32 Ohm headphones.
Then I found a way to remove the resistors and to avoid distortion I applied snubber (serial connection opamp output - resistor - capacitor - GND). I selected the components of the snubber by ear and the best result was obtained with 5 Ohm resistors and 0.22 μF film capacitors. The 32 Ohm headphones began to sound even better compared to the 10 ohm output.

Have you tried the OP275GPZ? It has 90mA /channel output capability (listed on the DigiKey site), and costs only $3.23 (on Mouser).
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...=/ha2pyFadugpCK8MhBNXoFMwEe3gh5F6fCiXN00WKsQ=

Jun 22, 2017 at 2:13 AM Post #837 of 1,364

Users who are viewing this thread

Back