New- Zishan Z1 DSD player thread
Jun 23, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #856 of 1,364
A bit of experimenting; begone output resistors and double output capacitance

IMG_0649.jpg

IMG_0650.jpg
not sure if you have modded a Walnut V2 or maybe read some discussions, but another question I have is are the traces on Z1 stronger/sturdier than V2? cuz I killed my original V2 with the hold switch because traces get burnt too easily with my uber L33T soldering skillz (lack there of)...

of course I also suspect Walnut V2 PCB, to save cost, also has thinner layer of copper =P

Jun 23, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #860 of 1,364
I haven't listened extensively to all of the opamps that I've received, but the LME49720HA is my current favorite.

And, as an unrelated observation - After experimenting with the new HiBy Link Android app (iPhone app coming soon...), and firmware updates for my Shanling M1, M2s, and Cayin N3 - I'm thinking it would be really cool if the Z1 had a Bluetooth interface (and compatible firmware) available, so that it could be controlled by the nice touchscreen on my Nexus 5 phone / Nexus 7 tablet. :ksc75smile:

Agree sir, controlled by light touch would be nice..

Jun 23, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #861 of 1,364
Do i need to replace the resistor and Cap too to adjust the new opamp, or just rolling the opamp only?

So far, on my Z1, I've only done some opamp swapping.
Once I finish modding, and re-assemble my Walnut v2, I'm going to begin doing some mods on my Z1.
The first mod will be to remove the Volume Pot, and cut / move the circuit etches, so that turning the Volume knob Clockwise = Volume Up.

Then, I may do some capacitor swaps, and change the output series resistors.

Jun 24, 2017 at 3:03 AM Post #863 of 1,364
1. what is the purpose of these mod?
2. what model caps did you add on this side? is it just in parallel with the output caps on the otherside? and what are the 4 cap values on the other side, stock values with Silmic II?
3. listening impression please!

cheers
The purpose was to get rid of the output resistor and see what more capacitance would do. To have a 100 ohms resistor in the output seems pretty unheard of. One of the russians called it "complete bull" (credit google translate). This z1 is stock with only mentioned changes. The extra caps are the exact same as on the front (from my other z1 where I replaced them), mounted in parallel on the back.

As to sound, I'm not going to analyze it much as its alright but nothing special. I don't hear any artifacts or distortions, but I guess that could still show up on an oscilloscope which I don't have. My guess is one must change the caps to better quality ones to get more of a landslide, not just double the capacity. Maybe use a quality 10 ohm resistor, or the snubber thing? I don't have the solutions, I'm just messing with it and trying to get a discussion going. I've ordered some better caps (Nichicon KZ this time), which if lucky will fit to the millimeter.

Jun 24, 2017 at 6:40 AM Post #864 of 1,364
Last edited:
Jun 24, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #868 of 1,364
The purpose was to get rid of the output resistor and see what more capacitance would do. To have a 100 ohms resistor in the output seems pretty unheard of. One of the russians called it "complete bull****" (credit google translate). This z1 is stock with only mentioned changes. The extra caps are the exact same as on the front (from my other z1 where I replaced them), mounted in parallel on the back.

As to sound, I'm not going to analyze it much as its alright but nothing special. I don't hear any artifacts or distortions, but I guess that could still show up on an oscilloscope which I don't have. My guess is one must change the caps to better quality ones to get more of a landslide, not just double the capacity. Maybe use a quality 10 ohm resistor, or the snubber thing? I don't have the solutions, I'm just messing with it and trying to get a discussion going. I've ordered some better caps (Nichicon KZ this time), which if lucky will fit to the millimeter.
Thank you for the reply

Does this mod at least affect volume or bass? As these are commonly directly related to impedance

Jun 24, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #870 of 1,364
Thank you for the reply

Does this mod at least affect volume or bass? As these are commonly directly related to impedance
The volume maybe doubles when you remove the resistors. I don't know about the bass, I've removed the extra caps by now. If I were you I would make 2 pieces of 1cm cables, make them both U shaped, open the z1, turn it on at a low volume, put those cables on the ends of the resistors and short wire them. That's what it sounds like to remove the resistors. Let us know what you think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back