New- Zishan Z1 DSD player thread
May 2, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #196 of 1,364
Personally I have no issue with posts re Walnut updates in this thread, or vice versa, as they share more features than they differ... so I guess people will be keeping track of updates to both anyway, and I'm guessing a proportion of those with the Z1 like me will have a V2 (so will likely be interested in any updates to either).

My Z1 came by the way.

I got it partly to use as a USB DAC with my Hidizs AP60 but cant work out how, or if it's possible so that aside...it sounds fantastic.

Obviously very similar to the Walnut, not done a head-to-head yet so haven't determined which I prefer, its going to be close but something tells me the Z1 might (just) have the edge in clarity and overall SQ. Volume increases seem smoother, although I miss the satisfying on/off function of the volume control. I love the blue LED and the logo/fonts, yes I'm superficial and I love the oddly retro look of these players. And as I'm using single file full album WAV files on there, I like the ability to fast forward through them holding the right button, although seem to be unable to rewind back.

I will try to do a proper head to head comparison at some point.

Last edited:
May 3, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #200 of 1,364
Hey ya'll, This is the first time I'm trying a DAC out (I'm really new to the hobby) and I've just ordered mine. Just to be clear, this can function as a DAC for a phone (provided that your phone is compatible), yes?

I'm also curious as to how these go up against the Walnut V2's with the DAC functionality. From what I'm gathering from this thread, it seems like the Zishan Z1's outclass the Walnut (?).

May 3, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #201 of 1,364
Loving the Z1. Clearer and not as rolled off as the Walnut.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2017-05-03 at 9.00.58 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2017-05-03 at 9.00.58 PM.jpeg
    138.9 KB · Views: 0
May 3, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #207 of 1,364
Walnut Pre-v2s will not have no value, because they still sound better than Benjie S5, and that must be worth something :wink:

A $30 shipped WAV only screenless DAP was never going to hold any resale value because people could just buy a brand new one, but you knew that right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back