New- Zishan Z1 DSD player thread
Jun 7, 2017 at 1:23 AM Post #691 of 1,364
I know you say it's bigger, but people use the same adjective for the V5i and I find the V5i to be very linear in a bad way lacking dynamics and thick but in a muddy kinda way.
I would agree with you. That's why in my previous op amp rundown, I chose the Muses02 over the Burson in the Z1. The Burson was not clear or defined enough (and expensive) for me to be able to recommend it in the Z1 (or you could take that comment and flip it to Z1 is not able to let the Burson be clear enough or defined enough).
I said bigger, and I meant that...but I also said competent. It's just impactful in the right way that the others (in comparison) cannot match and it is actually the "clearest" of all the opamps (and I don't mean trebly). It has a very good soundstage and what I would consider correct instrument separation.

Jun 7, 2017 at 1:26 AM Post #692 of 1,364
I would agree with you. That's why in my previous op amp rundown, I chose the Muses02 over the Burson in the Z1. The Burson was not clear or defined enough (and expensive) for me to be able to recommend it in the Z1 (or you could take that comment and flip it to Z1 is not able to let the Burson be clear enough or defined enough).
I said bigger, and I meant that...but I also said competent. It's just impactful in the right way that the others (in comparison) cannot match and it is actually the "clearest" of all the opamps (and I don't mean trebly). It has a very good soundstage and what I would consider correct instrument separation.
I agree with you on the V5i. Implementation is everything and it's probably a good opamp in a device that can utilize what it has to offer. If only I could close the case the Sparkos would be on order already.

Jun 7, 2017 at 1:43 AM Post #695 of 1,364
Ok so are you saying that the Sparkos loaded Z1 can compete with 500 bucks dap?

Jun 7, 2017 at 1:52 AM Post #696 of 1,364
I know that with the LME49720HA it is very very good, and beats out a dap I have that cost $200 plus and a portable amp DAC that runs $599. This is merely my opinion, as the Z1 really appeals to my senses. I'm sure @silverfishla will chime in with his thoughts too.

Jun 7, 2017 at 2:02 AM Post #697 of 1,364
Interesting. I find the Silmic II to be smoother and a bit warmish. The Nichicon will have more clarity as will the Cerafine. I am more than content with the stock configuration, until someone reveals an earth shattering cap combo. Opamps still make the biggest difference. Glad you are enjoying your cap upgrade. Warning it gets very addicting.:darthsmile:
I agree, stock caps are also great, and even if there are differences one cannot say these are necessarily better than stock. A matter of taste too. And heck, I cannot even guarantee there are any changes at all without having a stock as comparison, I find the differences that small. But I still think it is overall clearer, cleaner, I haven't noticed anything warmer. I've heard some details I haven't heard before, because they are covered by other stronger sounds, but might as well be explained by that I pay extra attention :beyersmile:

Thanks for the warning, I've just stopped smoking so looking for a new addiction:beerchug:

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2017 at 2:19 AM Post #698 of 1,364
I agree, stock caps are also great, and even if there are differences one cannot say these are necessarily better than stock. A matter of taste too. And heck, I cannot even guarantee there are any changes at all without having a stock as comparison, I find the differences that small. But I still think it is overall clearer, cleaner, I haven't noticed anything warmer. I've heard some details I haven't heard before, because they are covered by other stronger sounds, but might as well be explained by that I pay extra attention :beyersmile:

Thanks for the warning, I've just stopped smoking so looking for a new addiction:beerchug:
Well carry on then. :L3000:

Jun 7, 2017 at 2:44 AM Post #703 of 1,364
That's a loaded question...
No it's the plastic just above the legs that are the culprit.
This is correct. No easy amputations here...
I just messaged Sparkos Labs to see if they can lower the profile of the opamp.
Yes, I also messaged them the same question...for you guys. But....it can only be a reduction of about 1mm (which would be needed no more or less) because the cap on the right hand side needs to be slightly tilted for the fit. The further you shorten the Opamp the more you would need to tilt the Cap. Meaning, if it gets too short, you would have to rewire a new cap and move it to the side about a millimeter or 2. This wouldn't be too hard to do, but would make it difficult for some. I didn't want to ask about making the board smaller, I thought that was too much to ask of the maker.

Jun 7, 2017 at 2:51 AM Post #704 of 1,364
Just messaged him and he already got back to me. That was fast. He may jump on here. He also may be able to make it a bit shorter.:ksc75smile:

Thanks to @silverfishla for bringing this opamp to our attention.
Cool! Maybe he'll see what's going on here and get himself a Z1 and see what he can do! IMG_0819.jpg Here is a picture of the tilt required. You get the picture. You might be able to shave off a 1/3mm from the board to get more room. Best if the opamp could be set askew to the left a mm or 2 because there's room to left (just in case Sparkos shows up).

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2017 at 2:54 AM Post #705 of 1,364
That's a loaded question...

This is correct. No easy amputations here...

Yes, I also messaged them the same question...for you guys. But....it can only be a reduction of about 1mm (which would be needed no more or less) because the cap on the right hand side needs to be slightly tilted for the fit. The further you shorten the Opamp the more you would need to tilt the Cap. Meaning, if it gets too short, you would have to rewire a new cap and move it to the side about a millimeter or 2. This wouldn't be too hard to do, but would make it difficult for some. I didn't want to ask about making the board smaller, I thought that was too much to ask of the maker.
Yeah he said he could get thinner boards to make it shorter in the future. Can the legs on the top of the opamp be trimmed down or are they already cut down?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back