New Zealand meet, May 24th in Auckland
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 24, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #346 of 367
I was genuinely staggered by the number of HD800s available at the meet there. I mean, I know it is a very popular headphone, but I never thought it is actually so popular to the extent that every single table have at least one HD800...

The star of the meet for me personally is the Shure SRH1540. Sounds surprisingly good straight from my modest smartphone, doesn't cost a fortune, and sound sig that feels like it is tuned directly to my preference..

May 24, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #347 of 367
  I was genuinely staggered by the number of HD800s available at the meet there. I mean, I know it is a very popular headphone, but I never thought it is actually so popular to the extent that every single table have at least one HD800...

The star of the meet for me personally is the Shure SRH1540. Sounds surprisingly good straight from my modest smartphone, doesn't cost a fortune, and sound sig that feels like it is tuned directly to my preference..

I don't think it is that the HD800 is that popular per se, it's just that it's one of those headphones that everyone has on their list to try and until recently the only way to do that in NZ has been to buy them. I suspect like myself many of those with HD800 there spend more time listening to their other cans, but the HD800 remain in their collection for DAT soundstage. They just offer something you can't get in other phones.

May 25, 2014 at 5:45 AM Post #348 of 367
Was very cool to try out all the gear that was on show, a big thank you to everyone, I came back home and now underwhelmed with what I'm listening to here.

@HelmetGuy
Your vinyl setup amazed me the most, it was brilliant.

There was also a schiit stack there which really impressed me (Going from memory I think it was the Lyr / Bifrost). That would be my goal by
next year as it seemed to compliment my headphones really well.

May 25, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #349 of 367
  There was also a schiit stack there which really impressed me (Going from memory I think it was the Lyr / Bifrost). That would be my goal by
next year as it seemed to compliment my headphones really well.

That one had the Gen 1 USB implementation from Schiit too, if you do get the Bifrost new it'll be with the Gen 2 USB and sound even better than you heard it on the day :)

May 25, 2014 at 5:50 AM Post #350 of 367

Awesome that you found the headphone dialled in to your ears!

Unfortunately I didn't get around the other gear anywhere near as much as I'd have liked, probably the real stand out for me on the day was the NAD HP50, I thought for what they were that they were outstanding. Had a listen from Note 3 (160GB storage)-->UAPP music player app-->Dragonfly 1.2-->NAD HP 50 and the sound, for a portable set-up, was really pretty stellar. 

May 25, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #351 of 367
I cannot believe I landed back in Auckland one day after the event! ... would have loved to meet up with some of the forumers here.

May 25, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #352 of 367
I cannot believe I landed back in Auckland one day after the event! ... would have loved to meet up with some of the forumers here.

What a shame! There were a few here who couldn't make it, hopefully next year eh?

May 25, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #353 of 367
What a shame! There were a few here who couldn't make it, hopefully next year eh?

Yup, what a bummer. Hopefully this will become an annual affair. I was wondering if there is a "regular hangout" for those in Auckland? Just to meet for coffee and talk about music and gadgets?

May 25, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #354 of 367
Yup, what a bummer. Hopefully this will become an annual affair. I was wondering if there is a "regular hangout" for those in Auckland? Just to meet for coffee and talk about music and gadgets?

It should be annual from here, I'll be making the booking for next year's event very soon :)

No regular hangout that I'm aware of... Someone should organise one.

May 25, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #355 of 367
I'd definitely be interested in more frequent get togethers. Had an excellent time on Saturday, awesome to meet so many of you, and certainly great to hear so much summit-fi gear!

Will check in with more specific impressions and pictures at some point soon!

May 26, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #356 of 367
I'd be keen on some sort of regular meet up of headfiers too! 
smily_headphones1.gif

May 26, 2014 at 3:40 AM Post #357 of 367
I think at some point we should actually form a small "cell" here in Auckland. To talk about gear and music and everything else. As I travel very frequently, can only join you guys whenever I am in town.

I am living across the road from Audio Reference, anyone knows Terry well enough to "rope him in"? I am sure that would help with his business. That was how Jaben started more than a decade ago when they still a small shop in Singapore.

Of course, if any of you are close to any head-fi/hifi/Pro Audio guys who can host us, that would be excellent.

Just throwing ideas out.

May 26, 2014 at 5:42 AM Post #358 of 367
Pics....

...even the doorman had a good time (he left the meet disillusioned with Beats):

Was great to see some people really grooving on some music:

This was probably my favourite moment of the day, at this moment the interlude of Whole Lotta Love was playing, he was just grinning and laughing with delight through the whole thing - said it was like hearing Led Zeppelin again for the first time (I'm sure we can all remember having those moments of rediscovering our favourite artists when we first heard it through great gear):

May 26, 2014 at 6:17 AM Post #360 of 367
Couldn't be with you guys as I am in Germany at the moment but found consolation in the fact that a lot of helmet guy's set up which I can identify on the photos, was once mine!!!
Also support the idea of a more frequent meet here in Auckland.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back