New Zealand meet, May 24th in Auckland
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 18, 2014 at 5:15 AM Post #226 of 367
Hi All

I just joined headfi and just brought tickets for the nz meet.

I am more of a diy'er so would there be any interest in me bringing a fully balanced ss discrete headphone amp, of my own design, and a modified 325i.
I have a balanced dac in the works but it probably won't be ready by then.

Cheers

Tim

Apr 18, 2014 at 5:26 AM Post #227 of 367
Hi All

I just joined headfi and just brought tickets for the nz meet.

I am more of a diy'er so would there be any interest in me bringing a fully balanced ss discrete headphone amp, of my own design, and a modified 325i.
I have a balanced dac in the works but it probably won't be ready by then.

Cheers

Tim

Awesome to have you along!

I would absolutely love to hear some DIY gear... I'm an HE-6 owner, so always keen to meet anyone who might (for a fee of course) be able to build me some First Watt DIY amps for the 6 :)

Apr 18, 2014 at 6:22 AM Post #229 of 367
Actually my amp should be able to drive a HE-6. I could put together an adapter.

Sir, you have officially piqued my interest. What are your amps specs? What outputs does it have? I have 4-pin XLR, every kind of single-ended connection and speaker tap (banana plugs) connections for my HE-6...

Apr 18, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #230 of 367
Sir, you have officially piqued my interest. What are your amps specs? What outputs does it have? I have 4-pin XLR, every kind of single-ended connection and speaker tap (banana plugs) connections for my HE-6...

I use a hi-spec but small hirose connector that I am pretty sure you won't have but I have a spare plug that I could wire up.

My amp as it stands could put about 1.5W into the 50 ohm. Though with bigger heat sinks it could do more.
It is a fully balanced JFET input MOSFET output class A design, in some way similar to one of Nelson Pass's first watt designs but balanced.

I am happy to demo my work at the meet.

Apr 18, 2014 at 7:37 AM Post #231 of 367
I use a hi-spec but small hirose connector that I am pretty sure you won't have but I have a spare plug that I could wire up.

My amp as it stands could put about 1.5W into the 50 ohm. Though with bigger heat sinks it could do more.
It is a fully balanced JFET input MOSFET output class A design, in some way similar to one of Nelson Pass's first watt designs but balanced.

I am happy to demo my work at the meet.

Interesting! 1.5W sounds too little for the HE-6 generally speaking, but that said some of Nelsons lower wattage designs are still reputed to be pretty good with the 6, so judgement reserved until I've had ears-on. FWIW, the best I've heard the 6 was from a Luxman speaker amp off the speaker taps at 110W per channel into 8ohm. On that setup I preferred them to the Abyss on a much more expensive rig.

Apr 18, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #232 of 367
Interesting! 1.5W sounds too little for the HE-6 generally speaking, but that said some of Nelsons lower wattage designs are still reputed to be pretty good with the 6, so judgement reserved until I've had ears-on. FWIW, the best I've heard the 6 was from a Luxman speaker amp off the speaker taps at 110W per channel into 8ohm. On that setup I preferred them to the Abyss on a much more expensive rig.

My headphone amp was really only designed to drive my grado's, which max out at 0.1W.

Maybe I will bring my one of my pairs of amps that I built to drive my speakers (they will be a 3way active design when I get them finished). They are also balanced class A but are designed to put 50W into 8ohm so should drive your he-6's easily.

Apr 19, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #234 of 367
Anyone here had dealings with AV World in Auckland? They posted a question to the Trademe auction, without declaring who they were, attempting to undermine the event and promote themselves. So instead of embracing the event and community, they resorted to douchebaggery that doesn't speak well of their integrity. They'll never see a red cent of my money.

Apr 19, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #236 of 367
well, i dont think that guy is from av world. they shoudnt be that stupid.....

They asked me another question and said it was their shop...

Apr 19, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #238 of 367
That was uncalled for...

Apr 19, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #239 of 367
Anyone here had dealings with AV World in Auckland? They posted a question to the Trademe auction, without declaring who they were, attempting to undermine the event and promote themselves. So instead of embracing the event and community, they resorted to douchebaggery that doesn't speak well of their integrity. They'll never see a red cent of my money.

hmmm that all sounds very AWKWARD (as the saying goes)... I've recently re-awakened my interest into music listening using headphones now that its more common place to have true HDmusic 24bit/96/192K .flac files. I have a Ponoplayer on its way (massive Neil Young fan)  ex the recent Kickstarter project, own a Fiio X5 (bought as an interim other option) and i am hunting for some good up-there cans (yeah i know, headphones)  and it's always interesting to watch the retailers reactions so far with those i have visited (which is only a few)...

I have NOTHING to do with AV World i stipulate that now. My only so-far tease has been to hear a set of AKG K812s and after i got back up off the floor from the shock of the experience which has brought me here, the upcoming NZ meet could not have come at a better time... (so i will be buying a ticket) and have already made sure i am not working that day....

I am a DIYer too and have been nutting out a good project for the handfull of EF91/95 and ECC81 CV00xx series tubes (valves) i have inherited along the way. Interestingly those of you who know tubes, CVs series stuff tends to be solder in only (they have no socket pins) so that would make any chance at tube rolling a little different. I spent all yesterday studying SRPP and the like or considering where to buy output matching transformers to drive my current AKG Q701s (62Ω). I am a huge valve amp fan but i build them simply because i cannot afford the cost of commercially made units...and i like the idea of putting the best possible quality source material signal through them...

So before i plonk down probably more than $2000 on a set of top-end headphones, being able to see them in the flesh let alone have a listen (i hope) is gonna be great so i say thanks for starting the ball rolling on organising the Meet.

Pete

Apr 19, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #240 of 367

hmmm that all sounds very AWKWARD (as the saying goes)... I've recently re-awakened my interest into music listening using headphones now that its more common place to have true HDmusic 24bit/96/192K .flac files. I have a Ponoplayer on its way (massive Neil Young fan)  ex the recent Kickstarter project, own a Fiio X5 (bought as an interim other option) and i am hunting for some good up-there cans (yeah i know, headphones)  and it's always interesting to watch the retailers reactions so far with those i have visited (which is only a few)...

I have NOTHING to do with AV World i stipulate that now. My only so-far tease has been to hear a set of AKG K812s and after i got back up off the floor from the shock of the experience which has brought me here, the upcoming NZ meet could not have come at a better time... (so i will be buying a ticket) and have already made sure i am not working that day....

I am a DIYer too and have been nutting out a good project for the handfull of EF91/95 and ECC81 CV00xx series tubes (valves) i have inherited along the way. Interestingly those of you who know tubes, CVs series stuff tends to be solder in only (they have no socket pins) so that would make any chance at tube rolling a little different. I spent all yesterday studying SRPP and the like or considering where to buy output matching transformers to drive my current AKG Q701s (62Ω). I am a huge valve amp fan but i build them simply because i cannot afford the cost of commercially made units...and i like the idea of putting the best possible quality source material signal through them...

So before i plonk down probably more than $2000 on a set of top-end headphones, being able to see them in the flesh let alone have a listen (i hope) is gonna be great so i say thanks for starting the ball rolling on organising the Meet.

Pete

Welcome!

When is the Pono set to arrive? I'm a bit sceptical, some of Neil's Young's ravings about audio quality seem to have a tenuous relationship to fact, but I'm very interested to hear it nevertheless. Also would love to hear the X5.

Man, if you're just getting into this stuff the meet will blow your socks off!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back