(New York) or (Chicago) Style Pizza,,,???
Feb 19, 2008 at 1:58 PM Post #31 of 77
I like both. I lived in Chicago for 10 years, and I've been to most of the pizza places in Chicago. That being said, I voted for NY thin. I really like a good, thin, crispy crust that allows the toppings to really come to the front. We have a couple Unos near us, so I can still get my deep dish fix when I need it. We also happen to have a place that does an excellent NY thin, about a mile from our house, so I can have either one at any time.

(In Rochester, NY check out Cams NY Pizza for thin crust pies.)

I love pizza, in all of its forms.
biggrin.gif
I could eat pizza five nights a week (and have).

Feb 19, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #32 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by ingwe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good pizza is good pizza. Great pizza is, um, great pizza. If I must choose (being a life-long Chicagoan until two years ago), I must ask, "Which of these two pizza-pies in front of me is better? Assuming there are two pizza-pies in front of me, of course. I would then eat both pies and pronounce judgment.

But I believe the OP wishes to determine which geographic pizza type approaches attribute of the "ideal pizza-pie." The Absolute Pie, so to speak, is perfect. It is perfect if it is served piping-hot or cold for the next-mornings breakfast.

Can any temporal pizza-pie approach Pizza Perfection? Is there an asymptotic limit?

Perhaps there is a bit of the Absolute Pie in every pizza--that every pizza is conceptually a part of the same pie. Perhaps we should be grateful for the pizza served to us--the New York Thin Slice, rolled-up and eaten standing up; or the Chicago Deep-Dish, eaten with a knife and fork.

Therefore I say to all of you, no matter which pizza we eat, enjoy, and savior, I will always fight you tooth-and-nail for the last piece, buster!
cool.gif

lol! Great post.

The problem with finding the "best" pizza is that the best pizzerias are spread far and wide. For example, my favorite pizza is a really small place in NYC whose name escapes me, my second favorite is in a place in Boothbay Harbor in Maine of all places (which is extremely NY-style despite its location), and my third and fourth favorites are places near us in NJ, one of which is Italian-style and pretty good. I'm sure if I visited Chicago, a particular pizzeria there might follow up behind those, who knows?

Feb 19, 2008 at 10:28 PM Post #37 of 77
Deep Dish hands down,NO,contest at all !!!!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 19, 2008 at 10:55 PM Post #38 of 77
New York style pizza is the most overrated pizza ever. 1st time I went to New York City I was so excited to try the famous NY style pizza. What do I get? The thinnest crust I have ever seen with barely any sauce or chesse and a random sausage thrown here or there. Come to Chicago and go to a place like Giordano's or Papa Deux's and they throw at you a 1-2 inch thick behemoth filled with cheese, sauce, sausage, mushrooms, onions, pepperoni, more cheese, huge thick crust, more sausage, more cheese, yum.

Feb 19, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #40 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
New York style pizza is the most overrated pizza ever. 1st time I went to New York City I was so excited to try the famous NY style pizza. What do I get? The thinnest crust I have ever seen with barely any sauce or chesse and a random sausage thrown here or there. Come to Chicago and go to a place like Giordano's or Papa Deux's and they throw at you a 1-2 inch thick behemoth filled with cheese, sauce, sausage, mushrooms, onions, pepperoni, more cheese, huge thick crust, more sausage, more cheese, yum.

And your makin me Drool!!!

Feb 20, 2008 at 12:51 AM Post #41 of 77
If anyone hasn't tried it, Pizzeria Due on Wabash & Ontario makes some of the best pizza I've ever had.

It's not as thick as some places like Giordano's, but it's very rich deep dish with corn meal crust. God damn is it good. I recommend the spinach pizza, it's excellent. (Coming from an omnivore, that's saying a lot!)

The wait is a bit long, but it's more than worth it.
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2008 at 5:25 AM Post #42 of 77
First the disclaimer- I am a serious pizza snob with very definite opinions. I've traveled all over the country (and elsewhere) with a like-minded group of friends to sample pizza from just about anyone who thinks he can make a good one, and can easily state that the best pizza in the world is found mostly in New York and northern New Jersey and is of a very specific type that is difficult to recreate elsewhere today for a number of reasons. Interestingly, the few places that make this style (the original style of pizza) pretty much all share a certain lineage.

Truly great pizza has the following characteristics:

First, the oven. It must be a *coal fired* brick oven capable of the 850+ degrees (F) needed to make an incredible smoky, crust with that signature taste. These ovens are typically against modern fire codes in the US, and consequently, the few places that have been grandfathered are the ones ones that serve this style of pizza. Gas and electric ovens don't even come close (Typically, they are about 550 degrees (F) or so.)

These ovens are usually cavernous, and it's fascinating to watch the stickman (the guy with the large wooden spatula-type thing [the "stick]") expertly maneuvering the pizzas in the oven for even cooking, and then artfully tossing them out onto their waiting trays. These ovens are so hot that at some of these places, they keep a spray bottle of water handy because sometimes the when the stick is removed from the oven, it's actually on fire.

The pizza itself must be made with fresh dough (made daily), fresh mozzarella, tomatoes and fresh basil. The pizza is served more well done than typical pizza, giving a fantastic smoky charred crust. I'm salivating as I type this...

The very first pizza merchant license in the US was given to Gennaro Lombardi in 1905, and it's from him that many of the world's best pizza makers learned the craft of making good pizza and went on to found some of the best pizza places. John Sasso (John's in Greenwich Village), Anthony Pero (Totonno's in Coney Island), Patsy Lancieri (Patsy's in Harlem) are some well-known examples. They in turn have taught others. Lancieri's nephew Patsy Grimaldi started Grimaldi's for example (right under the Brooklyn bridge) and then later opened another Grimaldi's restaurant in Hoboken, NJ (with identical ovens both made by Sean McHugh).

Anyway, this is the real thing. Nothing comes close. Chicago "pizza" is decent food, but it is not good pizza. Same thing for the typical local pizza places scattered all over the country- good food (and I certainly enjoy my share of it), but not good pizza.

Disagree, flame away, tell me I'm nuts or whatever else; nothing will make me change my mind on this.
tongue.gif
There simply is no substitute.

Feb 20, 2008 at 6:02 AM Post #43 of 77
Old Blue Eyes (Frank Sinatra) liked Patsy's the best.
Thats Grimaldi's Pizza right under the Brooklyn Bridge in NewYork.
Yes ,Home of the Grado Pizza Box!
smily_headphones1.gif

Patsy Grimaldi's family still runs the joint. Good Stuff.

Feb 20, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #45 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by DNA Doc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The very first pizza merchant license in the US was given to Gennaro Lombardi in 1905, and it's from him that many of the world's best pizza makers learned the craft of making good pizza and went on to found some of the best pizza places. John Sasso (John's in Greenwich Village), Anthony Pero (Totonno's in Coney Island), Patsy Lancieri (Patsy's in Harlem) are some well-known examples. They in turn have taught others. Lancieri's nephew Patsy Grimaldi started Grimaldi's for example (right under the Brooklyn bridge) and then later opened another Grimaldi's restaurant in Hoboken, NJ (with identical ovens both made by Sean McHugh).

THANKS! I love pizza and love going to Lambardi's. However, I knew there must be other great places... I will try to go to one of those this weekend. Do you know if Totonno's in Coney Island is still open? Should I go to that one or their other Brooklyn locations?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back