New Xin Reference Amp by Dr. Xin !!!
Jun 14, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #436 of 559
Quote:

Originally Posted by jemsound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the amp have to have an output while it is burning in? That is, do headphones need to be connected to the out jack while the amp is burning in?

Thanks.

Jun 14, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #437 of 559
Well I think the Reference final version is right around the corner and the sound will not let you down.

Jun 15, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #438 of 559
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I think the Reference final version is right around the corner and the sound will not let you down.

icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Jun 15, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #440 of 559
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

x2

Jun 15, 2007 at 12:34 PM Post #442 of 559
Quote:

I'm pretty much settled down to the final configuration. The final sound is extremely open and natural, with fully extended highs and lows and a outstanding off-head soundstage. The design is pretty much the same as the SuperMicro-IV, just the cap is huge. I tried many, many candidates that are more different and supposed to be more advanced than the SuperMicro-IV design, but none of them is perfect. The simplest and unique SuperMicro-IV design simply cannot be beaten. The only way to beat it is to add the huge cap and remove the DC-DC boost. Cannot do any more than those, or the magic sound will be touched. This is the latest Reference - a SuoerMicro-IV in a metal case and 200 hours of play. Only John has listened to it, lucky him and many thanks to him!. Goto suggested to me a key component to make such a outstanding sound to happen.

Will be taking orders shortly.

from Xin's forum: http://www.fixup.net/talk/topic.asp?...89&whichpage=4

Jun 15, 2007 at 3:38 PM Post #443 of 559
Yes it is a nice package. The sound is open and dynamic and the bass is solid and controlled but there is that illusive quality of the Micro, the imaging, detail and "alive" feeling.

I was listening to the Micro in the metal case with a 1000uF cap and decided to take out the 1000 and put in the 12,000 I had gotten from Xin and the change was both noticable in the highs, as more pure and the bass line, which is solid and dynamic. The mids are smooth and liquid. I am listening to Beethoven's 9th and for headphone setup, it is portrayed with great clarity and dynamic range with just the right touch of airiness and blackness between notes. Some of the sound is hard to describe as it seems to be the nature of this topology, but natural comes to mind.

One thing I do notice is that this amp does not hide anything. I have listened to a couple of different recordings and I was hearing some distortion. I thought, oh no, this circuit isn't right and then switched to a couple of different amps and upped the sound level as they were not resolving this and then there it was but the Ref was able to resolve the recording distortion, which was very small, at a lower volume but it was not the amp circuit with distortion but the recording. So the amp is extremely resolving but totally musical.

Jun 15, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #444 of 559
BTW, what is the best way to change the order already placed, I mean from Micro to Ref?

Jun 15, 2007 at 5:52 PM Post #445 of 559
Just email Xin with all the information you wish to convey and I would put in the subject that you wish to change your order.

Jun 16, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #447 of 559
I'm anxiously awaiting my Reference! You guys are killing me!!!!

Jun 17, 2007 at 4:44 PM Post #448 of 559
I have never heard this much detail with the sound still natural. Normally with all the detail and micro dynamics I hear with the Micro Reference I would find the sound to be etched, which can be interesting but distracting from the music but not so in this case. I have around 200 hours on the amp and look forward to 400 but as it is right now I don't see much to desire. The bass is an amazement.

Jun 18, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #450 of 559
Quote:

I have never heard this much detail with the sound still natural. The bass is an amazement.

I know what you mean, John, in the first sentence. Can you be more descriptive of what amazes you in the bass?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back