New Xin Reference Amp by Dr. Xin !!!
May 22, 2007 at 10:20 AM Post #181 of 559
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raphael /img/forum/go_quote.gif
!!! More Reference impressions please! People, whip out those ER-4S!
smily_headphones1.gif

You gonna have to wait for MrArroyo and Jamato's impression. Those two damned lucky buggers have somewhat became Dr. Xin's beta tester
etysmile.gif
icon10.gif

May 22, 2007 at 10:27 AM Post #182 of 559
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those two damned lucky buggers have somewhat became Dr. Xin's beta tester
etysmile.gif
icon10.gif

Aren't we all?
wink.gif

May 22, 2007 at 4:03 PM Post #184 of 559
"Aren't we all? "

Good one! :^)

The only constant in life is change and that is proven to the spades here.

The Reference is burning in. The sound is very special. It has a tube quality of the better aspects of tube sound with good dimension and a sweatness to the music of a good recording venue. There is also a very nice large soundscape. From what I can tell it will take some time to burn-in/form the large cap but it already sounds, well, special.

I am listening to Vivaldi's Op 9 with Hogwood conducting and the strings are sweet but with good dimension and depth to the sound. The bass is a very big plus with this amp, solid and tight.

May 22, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #185 of 559
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Aren't we all? "

Good one! :^)

The only constant in life is change and that is proven to the spades here.

The Reference is burning in. The sound is very special. It has a tube quality of the better aspects of tube sound with good dimension and a sweatness to the music of a good recording venue. There is also a very nice large soundscape. From what I can tell it will take some time to burn-in/form the large cap but it already sounds, well, special.

I am listening to Vivaldi's Op 9 with Hogwood conducting and the strings are sweet but with good dimension and depth to the sound. The bass is a very big plus with this amp, solid and tight.

Thanks for the impressions! How would you say it compares to your SuperMicro IV?

May 22, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #186 of 559
I need to let is run in for a longer period of time. The Micro is special and a little different. The bass on the Reference is not bloated but very solid and deep and tuneful, maybe a little more solid than the Micro. The sound of the Reference is changing as it is getting run time. I need to go get a cheap portable radio as I like to let the amp get fed a signal from an out of tune station, like white or pink noise for burn in. I will say that the focus of the Reference is getting very, very good (imaging as far as headphones go but not like good speakers that through a real stage, at least with my home setup). The sound is actually a little warmer than my LD Micro Tube. This is ok but I would like a little less warmth. Again, time is needed with this big cap.

I have some of the new low drain Sanyo batteries coming as I have read that these provide some of the best supply voltage/current for the sound of portables.

May 22, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #187 of 559
Quote:

I need to let is run in for a longer period of time. The Micro is special and a little different. The bass on the Reference is not bloated but very solid and deep and tuneful, maybe a little more solid than the Micro. The sound of the Reference is changing as it is getting run time. I need to go get a cheap portable radio as I like to let the amp get fed a signal from an out of tune station, like white or pink noise for burn in. I will say that the focus of the Reference is getting very, very good (imaging as far as headphones go but not like good speakers that through a real stage, at least with my home setup). The sound is actually a little warmer than my LD Micro Tube. This is ok but I would like a little less warmth. Again, time is needed with this big cap.

I have some of the new low drain Sanyo batteries coming as I have read that these provide some of the best supply voltage/current for the sound of portables.

I will add that at the 24 hour burn in there is LOTS of DETAIL and SOUNDSTAGE.
icon10.gif

May 22, 2007 at 11:03 PM Post #189 of 559
I just put in some lithium nonrechargable and what a sound. That is one nice thing about amps that you can use different makes of batteries in and it isn't a fitted li-ion. There are choices just like opamps. The lithium have a different internal resistance. I have no idea if it is higher or lower but the sound is different. Bass is a little more upfront but the depth is greater in the soundscape. I also find the 4 batteries in the Reference easier to put in because there are just two per side (the cap is in the middle). I listened for a while with my Red Roxx (Vibes) and they sounded better than I remember them sounding. More time is needed though.

May 23, 2007 at 3:50 AM Post #190 of 559
How are the details and soundstage of the reference compared to the micro at this point in time of burning in. Thanks a lot
smily_headphones1.gif

May 23, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #191 of 559
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeivan86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How are the details and soundstage of the reference compared to the micro at this point in time of burning in. Thanks a lot
smily_headphones1.gif

You took the words right out of my mouth

May 23, 2007 at 7:37 PM Post #192 of 559
Ok, what I am starting to hear is more weight to the presentation with the Reference. The Micro is extremely good, esp in the latest incarnation. The Reference is opening up more now after 100 plus hours. The sound is very, very dimensional with a hall sound that is more like a larger home amp. There is a very quiet, blackness to the sound between notes and background. There is a lilting quality to the sound but not euphonic just natural. This amp has to have time to form the cap and just run in.

May 23, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #193 of 559
Quote:

Ok, what I am starting to hear is more weight to the presentation with the Reference. The Micro is extremely good, esp in the latest incarnation. The Reference is opening up more now after 100 plus hours. The sound is very, very dimensional with a hall sound that is more like a larger home amp. There is a very quiet, blackness to the sound between notes and background. There is a lilting quality to the sound but not euphonic just natural. This amp has to have time to form the cap and just run in.

interesting. is there any turn on hump in Reference? There is turn on hump in my micro. And i find micro background is not black enough. My Micro is a post 4/11 version. Can't wait for my Reference to arrive.

May 23, 2007 at 8:03 PM Post #194 of 559
I have been using my HD650's and sometimes the Red Roxx and I don't detect any but doesn't mean there isn't any. The Red Roxx sound very good with the amp but they do not impress me like they did when I first got them. Maybe I am not so much a in the ear monitor person but I would like to try the new Westone 3's when they come out, now not until mid summer.

I wanted to add that the Micro, which I ordered quite some time back and just received, is an unbelievable amp. You look at the size and by the way the plastic case is much thicker than I thought it would be and I have no concerns of it breaking like I sometimes wondered about, and the sound that come out of it is, well great. The Mini IV is also an impressive amp and I actually like the size, shape and feel the most out of all three amps.

May 24, 2007 at 1:51 AM Post #195 of 559
Quote:

Now that's frighteningly similar to SuperMicro-IV (04/11)
blink.gif
wink.gif
. 100 hours mark is where my SuperMicro-IV started to trounce my RSA Tomahawk out of contention - in every aspect.

Now at 400 hours or so, my SMIV sounds like a full sized dedicated amp.
Gosh I am dying wanting to hear how a Xin Reference would sound after 400 hours
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back