New WESTONE W-SERIES
Jul 12, 2015 at 1:44 AM Post #991 of 1,383
Could be, too rich for me may be just right for you (not that I can't enjoy then in small doses, but I prefer closer to neutral...ymmv)

Jul 26, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #993 of 1,383
I am here lol to talk about the w20's. I am a clarity, an instant note decay, a nice thin note, give me (as much as freakin possible) just what is in the recording--except, that coloration is of no concern to me, as I know of no reason not to use equalization--kinda guy. I went with the w20's cuz of Goldenears spectral decay plot (they've only got the review up on their Korean site so far [very easy for a non-Korean speaker to navigate the reviews on the Korean site]).

I have other earphones that seem to have that real rapid decay (and that Goldenears published charts claim do), but I believe that these have more resolution even than a bunch of other ones that seem to have that rapid note decay throughout the frequency spectrum, I think these have more resolution and I think it is cuz of how scaple like the initial impulse is throughout much of the spectrum with these.

These definitely have some of the better soundtage and instrument-separation abilities of the earphones I have (anyone else wonder, if maybe instrument separation abilities are simply a matter of the note clarity, of how quickly the transducer is able to go silent?).

HERE'S THE THING THOUGH, they have significant distortion issues in the bass. See, they also have way elevated bass though, like, if you get a good seal, especially so. So, you gotta get yourself a good seal, then you have to equalize down the bass hard (I'm actually using two equalizer applications on my phone just to get the bass down to what seems to me flat), otherwise there is a lot of distortion at some bass frequencies. And, btw, on this topic, the amount of really low bass these can put out is f$@*!n fab (the real high distortion, unequalized, isn't in the sub-bass). And, finally, the bass could have a bit quicker decay. I don't mean to just gloss over that, tight bass is something I very much love, but the fabulous resolution throughout so much of the spectrum, mainly that, but also the soundstage and instrument separation....

Sep 16, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #996 of 1,383
Hi I can't find any complete comparison between the W10 and the UM pro 10, anyone can help ? Are the W10 worth the difference in price or are we only paying the accessories ?
Any noticeable differences in SQ and sound stage ?
Thanks

Oct 1, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #997 of 1,383
The Epic cables are trash. My first set went bad after about 2 weeks of use. I asked for a warranty replacement and these have gone bad after about a month of use. 

Any recommendation for gym use cables? I've gone back to using the mic cable but I don't like the mic getting in the way.

Oct 1, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #998 of 1,383
The Epic cables are trash. My first set went bad after about 2 weeks of use. I asked for a warranty replacement and these have gone bad after about a month of use. 

Any recommendation for gym use cables? I've gone back to using the mic cable but I don't like the mic getting in the way.

Get the epic cable for the um series. The one with the earhooks. I did this after going through 2 crappy w series epics in just 3 months and the difference is like night and day. They seem to be made out of different materials. 3 months in the um cable is like new.

Oct 1, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #999 of 1,383
Get the epic cable for the um series. The one with the earhooks. I did this after going through 2 crappy w series epics in just 3 months and the difference is like night and day. They seem to be made out of different materials. 3 months in the um cable is like new.

Do you mean these?

http://www.westone.com/store/index.php/westone-music-products/accessories/mmcx-replacement-cables/es-um-pro-replacement-cable-52-inches-3053.html

They look pretty much the same though besides the shrink wrap ear hooks.

Oct 1, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #1,000 of 1,383
Oct 1, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #1,001 of 1,383
Yes these. I know they look the same but they feel different to me. And this one is like new after 3 months of ise whereas the w ones would start hardening after 2 weeks.

Gotcha.

Any experiences with the FiiO ones?

http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-RC-WT2-Re-Cable-Westone-Earphones/dp/B00OYMSBDS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443720735&sr=8-1&keywords=ES%2FUM+Pro+Replacement+Cable

Oct 1, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #1,003 of 1,383
Oct 5, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #1,004 of 1,383
Thought about it but most of the comments on amazon say they are very microphonic. So no go for working out pretty much.

I used mine for working out for a while. While the cable is very microphonic, I didn't have a problem with it working out -- with cable running under my shirt in front and phone in pocket of shorts. Recently I went back to the iphone cable for online controls, but no significant issue with the Fiio. If you have the cable rubbing against itself, it is plain awful though.

Oct 12, 2015 at 5:56 AM Post #1,005 of 1,383
Hello to everyone, I wanted to know, in terms of isolation and sound quality (mind you I have the Sennheiser HD598), which would you recommend between:
- MEElectronics M6 Pro
- Shure SE215
- Westone UM PRO10
- Westone W 10.
And if you can explain to me the difference between the two Westone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back