New WESTONE W-SERIES
Nov 5, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #1,021 of 1,383
  Can anyone recommend a good replacement cable, with ear hooks and iPhone remote? I started looking around for the UE 900 blue cable but can't find one in the UK.
The rubber one tangles a lot and pops off the top of my ear a bit too often.

p.s. I'm managing to get a decent seal with my Shure Olives, so sticking with those for the time being as I have quite a few spares, but might try the Comply P-Series in the future.
Thanks again for all your help everyone! I'm really enjoying these little creatures.

I wouldn't recommend the UE900 cable at all. Although I love it's design and it's lighter than the epic, the MMCX connectors (even on a brand new cable straight from Logitech) lose contact every time I move my head.

Would like to hear some recommendations too. The Westone iPhone one is useless to me.

Nov 5, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #1,022 of 1,383
Funny that, my only experience of the UE900s was in an Apple Store and I rejected them for exactly that reason....loose connector

Nov 6, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #1,023 of 1,383
UE really needs to put their best foot forward.  I bought (2) pairs and both had connector problems.   While the sound wasn't cutting out I was not at all impressed given the $400 pricepoint.  IMHO W30 is a much improved W4 (better clarity and more bass....everything else about the same). 

Nov 20, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #1,025 of 1,383
OK, quick update here. Firstly I'm really impressed with these W30s. They are just what I wanted. Great levels of detail, good, even presentation, no lumps or bumps and although the high frequencies are all there, they never feel tiring.
I'm listening to tracks I didn't like before, just because it's more like listening to the musicians, than their product and when I get home in the evening from the tube journey, I don't want to take them off!
Over the ear, the cable microphonic are non-existent, which is a huge improvement over my Klipsch X11i.

So, I was struggling a bit with isolation, even when I did get a good seal with the Shure Olives, so I bought some Comply P-Series. Much better!. Now when I take them out, I can see about 7mm of compressed foam that was in my ear canal, rather than the 4mm or so with the Shure Olives.

Isolation is better, therefore bass is more abundant, but still good and solid with no lumps or bumps or booms.

However!...I still struggle to get a good seal every time so it got me to thinking about customs.
I contacted Snugsearphones and this morning, went to have my ears 3D Laser Scanned. A completely painless and comfortable process carried out in a local office, hired by Snugs. They will also visit you if they're in your area.
https://snugsearphones.co.uk/product/snugs-solo-full-shells-to-fit-your-own-earphones/ 

I watched as a 3D image of my ears was built up on screen and it took about 10min per ear.
I do need to clean my left ear slightly as he couldn't go quite as deep as he wanted to, but next week, after some ear drops and a quick re-scan, I should be fine.
At that point, the scan will be sent electronically to Snugs lab, I'll post them my W30s as they don't have a template yet and in theory, 4 days later I get custom full shell W30s back in the post. (They are detachable for cleaning)

I'll let you know how it goes and put some images on here, but in the meantime, here is someone else's review:
https://splurgebook.wordpress.com/2014/05/31/snugs-review-2/

and here is the 3D scan in action on YT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDczkv1Jd-k

Dec 28, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #1,030 of 1,383
I am about to place an order on W40 but I still have a few questions hope to be answered. Thanks in advance!
1) I am now using an ER4p as my main IEM, while I like its clear and analytical treble presentation, I need one that can be a good complement, something more comfortable, smooth, and laid back, with not so aggressive treble and fuller mid-range. Do you guys think W40 is a good choice? Or should I go for W30? (I heard W30 is a little more dull than W40)
2) How is the Westone ultra-thin upgrade cable? I was recommended to use it to replace the stock one. Is it necessary and built strong?

Thanks!!!

Dec 28, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #1,031 of 1,383
  I am about to place an order on W40 but I still have a few questions hope to be answered. Thanks in advance!
1) I am now using an ER4p as my main IEM, while I like its clear and analytical treble presentation, I need one that can be a good complement, something more comfortable, smooth, and laid back, with not so aggressive treble and fuller mid-range. Do you guys think W40 is a good choice? Or should I go for W30? (I heard W30 is a little more dull than W40)
2) How is the Westone ultra-thin upgrade cable? I was recommended to use it to replace the stock one. Is it necessary and built strong?

Thanks!!!

Invocation,

See this thread below, specifically post #45 by Spyro.   Hope that helps!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/729130/w3-versus-w30-exciting-news/30

Jan 19, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #1,033 of 1,383
I have posted I believe two posts on this thread concerning the w20, I just want to say that lol my last post (that was very much me changing my conclusions written in my first post) I now feel is definitely inaccurate concerning the "leading edge of the bass notes." I now feel that, at the least compared to the other earphones that I own, the bass is very good as far as not feeling soft, as far as the leading edge of the notes being sharp. I intend to eventually give, another, thorough review of these, as I like them a lot. I am not too sure about this, but compared to some other very clear earphones, I think these might have a little muddiness/bloom/slow decay to the high/mid bass notes. I am fairly certainly sure that these have what most people with high quality earphones would see as some distortion issues with louder lower notes (not to sure where in the frequency spectrum this starts, likely high up in "the bass region"/real low midrange. Again, I like these a lot (spent about $230 or something for them, not saying that there might be better for my preferences below and at that price); and that's all for now.

Feb 27, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #1,035 of 1,383
I might be a lot to ask but out of the new W & UM line which is the most balanced, neutral, cleanest, detailed, spacious?

there too many models to try and compare reviews :p

I want to mention that I love metal and I find it sounds the best with a balanced sounding earphone not the recommended V shape. thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back