New WESTONE W-SERIES
May 2, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #1,051 of 1,383
I'm so happy with my W30s and even though upgraditis has gotten the better of me a few times, I still continue to go back to them.  I've given up on sub $500 IEMs to replace them, I find them that good.  They fit me perfectly and offer everything I have been looking for.

I much prefer them over the W40 but I did have a head cold when I had the W40s for a week or so.

Jun 3, 2016 at 9:34 PM Post #1,054 of 1,383
W4's(40) versus W30:  W40 has more mid bass and is warmer and lusher and a bit more refined sounding.  Vocals are very real and soothing.  W30 is brighter and more lively sounding.  A bit rawer but slightly heavier bass and (I think) more revealing treble...it's a funner more v-shaped sound sig.   Terrific IEM for the money.  Very little to dislike. Handles every genre with grace.

Jun 3, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #1,055 of 1,383
I`m a big fan of the W30 as well, I`m looking into the UM 50 Pro purely because I feel that my ie800 overlaps with a similar brighter/more clarity orientated sound. I did get to listen to the W40 for a few days, and honestly, they`re both equally good quality wise, just pursuing a different tonality; I think Spyro summed it up perfectly. The W30 is quite a bit cheaper though, especially here in Australia, the exchange rate will be the end of me. 

Jun 19, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #1,056 of 1,383
  Fellow Android / Samsung users, Have you find a viable 3 button mic cable yet?

Been wondering the same thing since I want quick volume control for my commute. I've searched and haven't found anything, custom or branded.

I tried the W10s at a store the other day and was impressed with the size & sound, once I had a better fit. I'm considering getting the W20s, which I didn't try, but it seems like that's not the best idea since the sound & driver configuration is different. I've also been considering the Klipsch X20i while they're on sale. They also doesn't have a 3-button Android cable, but Klipsch says they're "looking into it". The Westones have a smaller footprint and better warranty, but I like the look of the X20s.

Jun 20, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #1,057 of 1,383
  Been wondering the same thing since I want quick volume control for my commute. I've searched and haven't found anything, custom or branded.

I tried the W10s at a store the other day and was impressed with the size & sound, once I had a better fit. I'm considering getting the W20s, which I didn't try, but it seems like that's not the best idea since the sound & driver configuration is different. I've also been considering the Klipsch X20i while they're on sale. They also doesn't have a 3-button Android cable, but Klipsch says they're "looking into it". The Westones have a smaller footprint and better warranty, but I like the look of the X20s.

When considering the two, you may want to consider the 'fit' of the two. Regardless of sound, the westones will probably stay in your ear better if you have to do any kinda of activity while wearing them. 

I guess I can't find the sale anywhere, but at that price range you are comparing them against the W40s, which I've enjoyed more than most full-sized headphones I've heard. But, I have not done a comparison of the two, so my point is moot. 

On the warranty, I bought W4's from a non-authorized seller. Westone offered me their W40s for $250 (with a 1 year warranty) when my W4's broke. I got the W40's first revision and then the cable wire jack got stuck and was able to get the 2nd revision. Not a 'replacement', but an out of warranty support and offer like that was pretty amazing. 

Jun 20, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #1,058 of 1,383
It's mostly walking for my commute; I don't know if I'd use an IEM at this price point for the gym or more strenuous activity. With summer here, I'm going to sweat more and my over-ears just cause more problems outside. My Momentum in-ears hold the fit just fine, but the way the housing is designed makes me think that they'll fall out on a whim.

The flip side of the ergonomic benefits of the W10 is that the cable feels a lot more brittle compared to what I've seen on the Klipsch X20i - but like you said, it's not fair to compare it to the W10 or W20.

Jun 25, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #1,059 of 1,383
I'm now having problems with my 6 month old Westone W60. The cable connectors have been a bit loose and wobbly from day one, and sound from the right earphone has now started cutting in and out on a regular basis.

I had very similar issue with my UM Pro50 which had to be returned 3 times, but the last replacement does now seem to be sturdier and has given me no problems (so far).

I purchased the W60, hoping for the same or better sound quality, but with better build quality. Sadly, that hasn't been the case.

Westone IEMs ... sound great, but VERY disappointing build quality.

Jun 25, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #1,060 of 1,383
I LOVE the W40's. Soundwise they are the perfect earphone. I even bought a pair of W50's thinking they were an upgrade. They weren't. Way way too bassy. But I have to give up on the W40's. I am now through three pairs that I had to buy myself. Two times I lost one of the headphones because they fell off the chord and I couldn't find the headphone again. With all of them I would have issues with the sound cutting out as I would turn my head and the chord would swivel on the earphone. I just can't accept that anymore.

Jun 26, 2016 at 2:23 AM Post #1,061 of 1,383
I'm now having problems with my 6 month old Westone W60. The cable connectors have been a bit loose and wobbly from day one, and sound from the right earphone has now started cutting in and out on a regular basis.

I had very similar issue with my UM Pro50 which had to be returned 3 times, but the last replacement does now seem to be sturdier and has given me no problems (so far).

I purchased the W60, hoping for the same or better sound quality, but with better build quality. Sadly, that hasn't been the case.

Just ask Westone for a new version of the Epic cable. Connection as tight as on the old 2 pin scheme.

If the tonality it's not right, then nothing else really matters.

Jun 26, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #1,062 of 1,383

Strange that you say that. I found both the W30 and the Pro50 to be sturdy like tanks. I've never ever lost connection using any of the MMCX Westone cables. The connection was terrible with third party cables though.

Aside from the connectors, the faceplates on my W30 seem to crack whenever there's a stronger gust of wind so I've given up on requesting more replacements from Westone but the shells themselves are still holding strong even after a few accidental abuses. Some of my first Westone cables didn't last long but the one with the ear guides (that comes standard with the Pro and custom series) has been great for over a year now and I'm using it 5+ hrs a day almost every day.

Jun 28, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #1,063 of 1,383
Anybody tried the new Westone bluetooth cable?

Jun 28, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #1,064 of 1,383
Hi all. I bought some W50s, and I love the sound. But there is some serious sound leakage through the body of the IEM. I listen at a 60 out of 75 in “Aux mode” on my LG V10. My wife and daughter say they can make out words to songs from 30 ft. away. Is that normal? Do Westone`s just leak sound? My Aurisonic Kickers are dead silent at the same volume with my wife sitting beside me on the couch.

Jun 28, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #1,065 of 1,383
Hi all. I bought some W50s, and I love the sound. But there is some serious sound leakage through the body of the IEM. I listen at a 60 out of 75 in “Aux mode” on my LG V10. My wife and daughter say they can make out words to songs from 30 ft. away. Is that normal? Do Westone`s just leak sound? My Aurisonic Kickers are dead silent at the same volume with my wife sitting beside me on the couch.

Sounds like a defective unit with a crack in the shell (probably along the joint of two sides of the shell); there shouldn't be any leakage.  Contact their warranty department for replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back