New WESTONE W-SERIES
Mar 19, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #782 of 1,383
  Hi guys. Regarding fitting the true fit foam tips, With my comply tips on other earphones I was told to squish the foam before insertion. However, with the true fit foam w40 tips I am just sticking them in without squishing them and then rotating to position as per westone's instructions. No muffled sound for me, seems like it is working fine. Do you guys do this or squish the w40 foam tips before insertion? Squishing them closes the hole too easily compared to the comply tips so I have not done so.

Also, anyone able to compare the sonic affects of the comply p-100 tips compared to the stock westone foam tips?

For my ears, Comply is very different than the Westone foams. The hole is larger so they don't muffle like Westones. I don't squish either. Lately have been using the round ones (Sport, I think) rather than Isolation.

I just switched to the iphone cable after a few weeks with a cheap silver one; sounds a little bland, a little warmer  but mostly bland. I'm going to stick with it for a week or two though and then switch back as a test.

Mar 19, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #783 of 1,383

What would be the sonic difference between that and the stock?

Silver plated, at least the FiiO cable, will give you even more details, better treble, will open them up a bit - larger soundstage and more refined bass. That one from ebay looks really good, hope it sounds as good as it looks and its black, the problem with FiiO's is that you are using a white cable in a black IEM, I think it looks really bad. But it improves sound quite a bit, thats guaranteed. I should give that ebay's black cable a try, or this pure PCOCC. I got a feeling about this pure single crystal copper one.

Mar 19, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #784 of 1,383

For my ears, Comply is very different than the Westone foams. The hole is larger so they don't muffle like Westones. I don't squish either. Lately have been using the round ones (Sport, I think) rather than Isolation.

I just switched to the iphone cable after a few weeks with a cheap silver one; sounds a little bland, a little warmer  but mostly bland. I'm going to stick with it for a week or two though and then switch back as a test.

Would you say the comply foam sound the same as the star tip westone's? I was thinking of trying the comply p-100. I really like the fit and isolation of foam, but the westone foam does muffle the sound.

Mar 19, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #785 of 1,383
  I use the oranges too ; )

You're welcome. Next upgrade I highly recommend you. A silver plated cable.

I have to admit, I LOVE the stock braided cable on the w40, it is so limp and easy to move and the ear forms are perfect for keeping it in place around my ears. IF (and I am not convinced that cables really can have a difference in sound - but I might be wrong) it does have that significant difference in sound, would I lose the qualities I love in the stock cable?

Mar 19, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #786 of 1,383
  Would you say the comply foam sound the same as the star tip westone's? I was thinking of trying the comply p-100. I really like the fit and isolation of foam, but the westone foam does muffle the sound.

No way.

I have to admit, I LOVE the stock braided cable on the w40, it is so limp and easy to move and the ear forms are perfect for keeping it in place around my ears. IF (and I am not convinced that cables really can have a difference in sound - but I might be wrong) it does have that significant difference in sound, would I lose the qualities I love in the stock cable?

Yes, I think so.

Mar 19, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #787 of 1,383
Would you say the sound difference changing cables is as much of a change as going from foam to silicone tips?

Mar 19, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #788 of 1,383
I wrote on another thread:

Of the Westone tips, I like the stars best. Their foams are too firm for my taste and I don't like the small opening around the nozzle. My favorite right now is Comply Sport (I think -- the roundish one). Comply foam is more heat responsive and gets softer and fits better for me. The isolation ones are a close second. All the complys have a wider nozzle opening, and seem better on highs than the Westone foams. 

The problem I have with the Westone silicone/star is they form a vacuum seal with a little perspiration, and this is both painful and sounds bad.

Mar 19, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #793 of 1,383
  Just asking. Is w40 the same as w4r?

I think the sound was improved. There's more bass and better treble. Mids are also very lush on the W40's, more than on the W4r's IMO. W40's give me a better, more dynamic experience. W4r are kinda boring, these are very expressive, dynamic and full. Just my opinion, though. YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back