New WESTONE W-SERIES
Mar 19, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #797 of 1,383
I ordered that cable off eBay you suggested. You are starting to cost me money
smily_headphones1.gif

lol. I'm about to do the same, the cable looks pretty good. And it's silver plated, should be at least as good as FiiO's. Let's see : )

Mar 19, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #798 of 1,383
  I have surface pro 3 + pico dac/amp + w4r but I am thinking about upgrading to surface pro 3 + iqube V5 + w60. I am combating with myself to burn another $1000 for the upgrade.

If its an upgrade, I would go for W60. Who owns them says its audio nirvana. For now W40 is rocking my world. Best IEM I have ever heard, and have had many, including several well known triple-drivers.

Mar 20, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #801 of 1,383

If its an upgrade, I would go for W60. Who owns them says its audio nirvana. For now W40 is rocking my world. Best IEM I have ever heard, and have had many, including several well known triple-drivers.

ABSOLUTELY a direct improvement over the similar sound sig.

Deeper bass extension, taller treble extension and larger soundstage.  It's a significant difference.

Mar 21, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #802 of 1,383

Deeper bass extension, taller treble extension and larger soundstage.  It's a significant difference.

That pretty much describes the 240€ T-PEOS H300 :p

Joking. The H300 is amazing, but even W40 beats it, especially in midrange. It's almost liquid, organic, very very lush and sweet. Also treble is more refined. But H300 is a serious competitor for W60 at 240€. lol. They have that deeeep bass, taller treble extension  and larger soundstage, pretty much as you describe it. Only issue is: they use to split in 2 right out of the box :D

I will buy them. If the difference isn't that significant, some blood will be shed here
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 21, 2015 at 8:37 AM Post #803 of 1,383

That pretty much describes the 240€ T-PEOS H300 :p

Joking. The H300 is amazing, but even W40 beats it, especially in midrange. It's almost liquid, organic, very very lush and sweet. Also treble is more refined. But H300 is a serious competitor for W60 at 240€. lol. They have that deeeep bass, taller treble extension  and larger soundstage, pretty much as you describe it. Only issue is: they use to split in 2 right out of the box :D

I will buy them. If the difference isn't that significant, some blood will be shed here
bigsmile_face.gif

Westone and TPEOS are like night'n'day.  W-series is all about liquid smooth detailed sound, TPEOS (I used to have Altone 200) is too bright/harsh in upper mids/treble.  But TPEOS bass will be better.

Mar 21, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #804 of 1,383
Yup. The H300 and Westone series especially W40 and W60 are day and night difference. H300 is more to V shape with looming extension on both ends which can result in piercing highs. Westone series towards more smooth and natural transition. Bass wise H300 takes the nod. But I find their bass soothes out gently over time. The only real subwoofer experience I get from IEM is SE846.

Mar 21, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #806 of 1,383
. Westone series towards more smooth and natural transition.  The only real subwoofer experience I get from IEM is SE846.

This is where I absolutely don't understand why people DON'T use EQ.  What you describe above.....then you boost the treble a few dB....it's nirvana.  In 100% honesty I could NOT listen to my Pro50 with none or a flat EQ setting.  It accentuates everything that everyone complains about.

But Pro50 has sensational bass, tonality and decay.  The overly smoothness factor is a problem.  Adding some treble EQ is an immediate fix.  Pro50 has 2 treble drivers so it responds very well.  Pro50 is $650 and worth every penny IMHO.  The sound and comfort is amazing (if you treble EQ it).

I do NOT hear SE846 bass as being better either.

Mar 22, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #807 of 1,383
This is where I absolutely don't understand why people DON'T use EQ.  What you describe above.....then you boost the treble a few dB....it's nirvana.  In 100% honesty I could NOT listen to my Pro50 with none or a flat EQ setting.  It accentuates everything that everyone complains about.

But Pro50 has sensational bass, tonality and decay.  The overly smoothness factor is a problem.  Adding some treble EQ is an immediate fix.  Pro50 has 2 treble drivers so it responds very well.  Pro50 is $650 and worth every penny IMHO.  The sound and comfort is amazing (if you treble EQ it).

Well YMMV. When you're spending close to a grand on an IEM what you want to hear is close to the source and what the manufacturer intended to bring to the table with his tuning. I'm not saying EQ is bad. Just that if you're planning to use EQ to turn the tuning to your likings probably the tuning in its own right isn't for you. Further, DAPs like the X5 or DX90 doesn't have that great of an EQ to begin with.

You can say that Pro50 has got the best bass for you but there's no deny out there that the SE846 has got one of the best bass response albeit to subwoofer. It's got to do with your own preference.

As you've said, the sound and comfort is amazing. IF YOU TREBLE EQ IT. For those who doesn't it's perfectly fine for them to move on and you gotta respect their decisions.

Mar 22, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #808 of 1,383
xaddictionx:  Yes, I absolutely respect everyone's decisions. My input is intended to be "advice" based on what I like and hoping to shorten the learning curve for others.

"close to the source" and "what the manufacturer intended" are the two most over rated phrases in audio.

What source did they use??  Thank you.....

Mar 22, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #809 of 1,383

Interesting view regarding EQ. To me, any iem that requires a quick fix with the EQ is already an under performer, specially when I am spending upwards of 500$.

Mar 22, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #810 of 1,383
  Interesting view regarding EQ. To me, any iem that requires a quick fix with the EQ is already an under performer, specially when I am spending upwards of 500$.

Again....I can't relate to this mindset.

Omastic.  If you spent, say $2000 on a receiver unit for home audio and it basically had an ON/OFF switch with no other adjustments.......are you okay with that?  I mean, it's a $2,000 unit so it cant possible need any adjustments.  It's already really good, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back